Wednesday, April 28, 2010

It's always about running, isn't it?


A couple of things have been brought to my attention. One, I squint. And two, apparently I talk about running too much.

Mike clued me in about the running thing, by saying things like:

"Please don't use terms that I don't understand, like PR. Just say he ran his fastest race ever." and "How much did they charge you for those inserts?"

The other day at lunch, I was ordering Eliza's chocolate milk, and I went off on a tangent about how chocolate milk is the perfect recovery drink. That was the first time Mike said "It's always about running isn't it." Which turned into his catchphrase for about a week, and he said it as often as possible.

As for the squinting, I think it's a habit that was formed when I was a kid, before I had glasses and had to squint to see. The other night I was obsessing over these lines that have appeared around my eyes, and I noticed they get worse when I squint. Now I realize I squint all the time, so I'm trying to keep my eyes relaxed. I'm hoping that will keep me away from the botox, because there's always a chance it could backfire. And then I'll end up looking like Mickey Rourke.

I'm getting excited for my 10 mile race on Sunday. I have a few friends running too, and Mike and the kids will be at the finish, along with my friend Karin. I found out yesterday that ipods are not allowed, which gave me a moment of panic, I could really use some Billy Idol to get me up those killer hills. But then I remembered all the times this winter when my ipod turned off in the cold, and I was fine. Hopefully there will be some good crowds to cheer us on and give some motivation.

In any case, I've had a few pangs of nervousness, only because I've never done the whole course at once. I did one last six mile hilly run on Monday, a three mile tempo run Wednesday, and I have a two mile run tomorrow. That will be it until Sunday. I don't have a time goal, my main goal for this one is to run a strong race, and have fun!!!

25 comments:

kristen said...

I'm so excited for you. Don't worry about your music. You wont need it. Just be in the moment and tick off the miles! Your gonna do great.

Johann said...

The best runs are usually the ones where you just go for the fun and don't set time and other goals. Good luck, you'll do great!

misszippy said...

Yeah, Mickey Rourke is not the look you want to aspire to! Good luck with your race--you'll be fine without the ipod--you'll be able to suck up all the energy around you better and listen to what your body is telling you.

Katie said...

Wow that course looks intense! There's nothing wrong with it being about running :) Chocolate milk really IS the perfect recovery drink! Good luck on the race!

Pining for Pinterest said...

Good luck this weekend!!!

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

Good luck on Sunday! And just for the record, you can never talk too much about running!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

We dont enough about what we do. I think thats why we blog, so we can have over daily dose of what we do. Its hard to talk to people that dont understand what we do, its ok though, they do their thing, and we do ours.

But the day Mike says "Wow, 10 miles in 60 minutes, 6 minute pace is amazing, did you negative split the last half" You eyes will light up with excitement.

mudmama said...

We happen to like squinting runners around here! ;)
Best of luck with your run!!

Robyn said...

Good luck on Sunday! Just have fun and you'll do great. And run with a hat so you block the sun!

yonca said...

Best of luck with your run on Sunday! Don't worry about the music!

Mrs. M said...

Good luck on Sunday, but I'm sure you will do great!

My mom and sister and many other family members work in the medical field so they often will use abbreviations and medical codes in emails and conversation that I just don't understand so I always have to ask them to translate too. :)

Julie said...

Hi Molly,
Good luck to you with your ten mile race :) You are going to do fantastic and those hills will be a piece of cake!! Keep your feet moving, breathing regulated and keep a positive attitude! This was the best advice that I got when I ran my first half marathon!! Take care Molly!

RunToTheFinish said...

I had to start a blog because I knew people were tired of hearing about running :)

way to go on the cutting back on sugar! Any tips for a sugarholic like me?

I agree with everyone else, just have fun that usually makes for the best run.

ajh said...

Good luck! Have you done a 10 Miler before? That is a distance I haven't done. I am doing a 15K, also a new distance for me. We'll prob. be running at the same time in different states! I'll send positive vibes your way!

Tara said...

Ha! Cute post, my husband says the same thing, that i am ALWAYS talking about running. What else is there?

Good luck on your race Molly, I can't wait to see what you thought of all those damn hills! You're going to rock them and you know it! Hopefully there's a beer tent at the end.

Later gator.

Xenia said...

Good for you, I'm sure you'll do great! I'm clearly not familiar with the rules of racing, but why wouldn't an iPod be allowed? For the life of me I can't figure out how listening to music would somehow be cheating - do they just have something against Billy Idol?

Good luck and have fun!

Kitchen Belleicious said...

Love your blog. Very fun and you are too cute! I found you thru SITS and just wanted to say hello. I am your newest follower and Hope you have a fab weekend. COme visit for a great dessert in honor of the kentucky derby! Think mint julep! http://kitchenbelleicious.blogspot.com

CailinMarie said...

that is funny. I am always focused on one thing- be it an event, or work or one of the kids- and talk about it obsessively until someone calls me on it. hah!
sunglasses - be sure to wear good sunglasses and add a hat if you are still squinting!

Anne said...

Good luck on your race! You'll rock those hills.

Yeah, that's one good thing about running with my husband, he talks about running a lot too. But, I think I'm the more obssessed one and that's why I have a blog and he doesn't :)

Debbie said...

It's great that you are so into running! I may not understand it but I don't tire of hearing about it!

Black Knight said...

Good luck on your race (I think you are running on this moment). Even if the ipods are not allowed you will run fast. Indeed I use the ipod only during the workouts and never during the races because I like to live the competition without any distraction.

Brad said...

Good luck at the race!

Unknown said...

Hope your race went well! :)

KNB said...

Stopping by from SITS. I'm a runner to--it's hard not to be thinking about running in some way every day, isn't it? Hope you have a great race!

www.mommamaybemad.blogspot.com

The Simply Luxurious Life said...

How did your race go? I have a feeling it probably went fantastic. You have a very truthful and honest voice - a pleasure to read. Just stopping by from SITS. Have a lovely week. =)