Thursday, April 22, 2010

I'm not the only one who likes the foam roller


I had a running nightmare last night. I dreamt I was on the treadmill for an eight mile run, and no matter what I did, I couldn't get the numbers to go past two miles. I woke up after I jammed my toe into the foot board of my bed, which kind of hurt.

I know the dream is the result of a minor freak out I had yesterday, over my 10 mile race scheduled for a week from Sunday. I started worrying that I haven't been getting the right amount of training in. After thinking about it, and looking over my miles these past couple of months, I realize I'm okay. I run 3 or 4 times a week, at least five miles at a time, and I've been running hills basically every Saturday morning since early January. So I have my head on straight again, and for the moment, I feel okay.

Luke has Spring Break this week, and he and Eliza were really good about letting me run 8 miles on the treadmill today. I put a movie on for them, and aside for the time I had to stop to help Eliza out in the bathroom, they occupied themselves with an elaborate game of Bakugan, a Sleeping Beauty doll, and Legos. My run was great, I tried out some Lemon Lime Nuun that I won in Allie's giveaway. Aside from a slight Alka Seltzer taste, it did a great job at keeping me hydrated.

I've been using my foam roller every day since I bought it, and I love it. After my six mile run to the beach, I had a weird cramp/ache in my hamstring. I rolled it a few times that night, and the next day I was back to normal. When I'm not using it, Luke puts it on his arm as some kind of Star Wars/Transformer Armor. So we're getting our money's worth.

Don't forget my Amazing Grass Energy Bar Giveaway...it ends this Sunday, April 25th.......

19 comments:

Mrs. M said...

I love my foam roller too - although I have never seen one that is hollow in the middle.

Sounds like you are more than prepared for your 10 miles. You will do great! :)

Pining for Pinterest said...

That is a great picture!!! Aren't you glad that you are getting your money's worth with the roller, a toy for your kids and a life saver for you!! Have a great night!!!

Liz Mays said...

I've never heard of a foam roller. Do I need this?

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I love that picture

I ask my roller to marry me, she didnt reply, felt awkward, instead she made almost cry, well she does that almost every night. I love foam rollers

Teamarcia said...

Do you love your roller? I saw that one at the expo and thought it would be a bit more packable than my huge roller or my stick.
No worries on the race--you're ready!:)

J said...

I had a running nightmare last night too because I have a race this sunday! Crazy how that happens!

Susan Fobes said...

Hey, that's cute-"May the force be with you!" LOL!

ajh said...

Love the multiple use of the foam roller. I'm with Luke and still think it is the greatest thing going!

Xenia said...

Considering I count walking out to get the mail my exercise, I've never even heard of a foam roller. Sounds like a handy thing, though!

And I love the picture! I gave that same helmet to a good friend's son for his past birthday and he could barely get the wrapping paper off in his excitement. As I have two young girls, I hadn't the slightest clue what to get a 5-year-old boy for his birthday, but apparently I guessed well!

Julie said...

Hi Molly,
OMG, Luke just cracks me up...he is such a little boy!! God bless the little boys:)

I need to get one of those darn foam rollers! Everyone is just going bananas over them...you know me, I don't want to miss out:) I have heard that they are worth every penny!

Don't worry about your freak out...you are going to be fine:) I also had my own little freak out before my half and it all worked out! Keep smiling friend!!

mudmama said...

haha, i love how our kiddos can get creative with our every day items!

Anonymous said...

That pic is wonderful! Now if I had a foam roller I don't think I'd know what to do with it.

Nicki said...

Love the picture! I am also worrying about that race on May 2. I just don't know if I have trained enough for it. I will have to just DO IT, right?

kristen said...

That was no dream. That was a NIGHTMARE!

I was thinking about getting the grid foam roller. have you ever used any other foam roller to compare it to?

norine said...

Luke is too cute!

Now I am nervous about the race coming up. I KNOW you can do it and will run a great race? I keep telling myself it will be alright but the E. Colvin street hill might kill me :)

Tara said...

That foam roller is a miracle worker isn't it? I "heart" mine too.

That does sound like a horrible nightmare. Especially the treadmill part! I hate running on the mill. Good luck with your 8 miler! And you are going to be just fine w/ your 10 mile race. Good luck!

Jameson said...

awesome outfit!

Stacey said...

You will do great in your race! Sounds like you are more than ready for it!! Good luck!

Anonymous Fat Girl said...

Love the pic! :) And that's great that your kids let you get your running done without much interruption. I wish my kids were more like that. LOL