Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Crafty Challenges


After igniting the spicy green beans on the grill last week, I decided to make them in the oven Monday night, and they came out much better! I had a request for the recipe, it's not exact measurements, but here it is:

1.Fresh green beans, enough to fill a cookie sheet, in one layer.
2.Wash and trim the ends off the beans.
3.Toss in a mixture of olive oil, three cloves of garlic (chopped), ground pepper, a bit of kosher salt, and a tablespoon of Huy Fong garlic chili sauce.
4.Roast in the oven at 350 degrees, about 20 minutes, stir halfway through cooking time.

Amanda at Run to the Finish has a 30 day challenge going on at her blog, you have to commit to doing 3 things for the next 30 days. I've been feeling like I'm in a food rut, so this is what I decided to do:

1. keep a food journal. I've never done this, but being home all day, I pick at whatever is in the fridge, or on leftovers. I'm always starving by 4:30 so I need to do something about it.

2. stop munching on whatever is leftover on the kid's plates.

3. cut back on the sugar. I've actually been good about this already, I threw out a ton of Easter candy that none of us need to be eating.

And don't forget my Chocolate Vita Top giveaway, it ends tomorrow at midnight, and the Amazing Grass energy bar giveaway, which ends on April 25.........

19 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Food journals are great..... and tough. I have tried numerous times, havent been consistant with it.

The Diva on a Diet said...

Mmm, these spicy beans look so good, Molly! Will definitely try this soon!

I need to get back to cutting down on the sugar too. I was so good about it for so long, but I've slowly let it creep back into my life. Time to do something about that!

misszippy said...

I need to keep a food journal too! Good for you. I love the sounds of that recipe also. Thanks for sharing.

Tara said...

Man, I would commit to the challenge, but I think there's only three things in the next 30 days that I can REALLY commit to: eating, sleeping, and pooping.

Next month s/b less busy!

ajh said...

I keep a food journal a lot. It helps for sure. I am NOT keeping one this week on vacation.

Nicole said...

mmmm this looks delicious!!! especially with garlic chilli sauce yum!

Mary Poppins in Heels said...

Yes, what they said: the beans look delicious! Good luck with the food journal. Writing down what you eat makes you so aware and, often, that you're eating without even being hungry. Good for you!

Mandee said...

Oh yummy!
We make green beans in a garlic/butter sauce with some parmesan on top and they are so yummy!

Unknown said...

I'm making those beans tomorrow! I have a pound in the fridge just begging to be roasted up like this!

Anonymous said...

Green beans roasted sound great! Thanks for that tip...next trip to the market, guess what I'm buying? I must stop finishing what's on my daughter's plate. I always serve her way too much, say "I'm not hungry" and end up eating hers. Not good at all!

Tiffany said...

Yummy green beans! I'm totally going to give it a try. I don't keep a food journal, but I do plan our meals which helps tremendously not only from a meal/eating perspective but keeps our budget in check and we don't eat out nearly as much. It works for us!

yonca said...

Spicy green beans look delicious!I love green beans.It's only 9.47am but I can eat them now:)

Sophia's Mom said...

You actually made green beans look yummy!

kristen said...

Yum. I love sauteed green beans with some garlic and evoo. So yummy. That sounds good too.

AM! said...

hey there!
i read about amanda's 3 challenge and I love your 3 things. Keeping a food journal is the best. I sincerely believe in eating every 2-3 hours w/6-8 meals total a day. I say this as I learned it from a nutritionist/trainer I worked w/~3 yrs ago. This pattern of eating and strength training was the best. just felt the need to share;-) good luck!

RunToTheFinish said...

I have a whole bag of green beans in the fridge... but I'm afraid to make this recipe, you see when I got the stomach flu I had eaten a bunch of roasted broccoli, now I'm a little sick at the thought of any veggies roasted... SERIOUS BUMMER!

Anonymous Fat Girl said...

Yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

Simple and yummy

Unknown said...

ohhh love SB's and can't wait to try out this version :) yummmmmm