Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I want my kids with me all the time, so what?

This morning I was reminded of why I love being home with my kids. I've started a habit which isn't probably the best, but it gives me a few more minutes of sleep in the morning. I keep an insulated bag with an ice pack, and sippy cup of milk on my bedside table. L comes in, uses our bathroom, picks up his bag and his Leapster, and trudges back to bed for a bit. But today L got into bed with me, and said he wanted to snuggle for a while. !?! that was nice. I laid there with him and thought of when he was teeny tiny, and we would fall asleep in the bed after the 5:00 a.m. feeding.

Times like that make me really dread his going off to kindergarten in the fall. yes, he's ready and excited, and I know he's going to do great. But I want to keep him in our cocoon a bit longer. I already told him he doesn't have to go to day camp this year if he doesn't want to....but of course he does!

I'm a real homebody with the kids. I love hanging at the house, going for walks, to the mall, to the nature center, to Target. I love snowy and rainy days, when we're forced to stay inside. I belong to a mommy and me group, but I'm really not that into it. Some Mom's that I know have an activity going on every day, which is fine. But I'm happy with one a week. I want to be their best friends right now, because I know there is a day looming in the future, when that's not going to be the case.

No comments: