Sunday, June 7, 2009

Mastering my running Beat




I mentioned how I love my ipod. Obviously I use it to run, but also have a docking station in the kitchen, and listen to it in the Jeep. The kids have hijacked it a bit, I have Raffi's Corner Grocery Store on there, as well as an Alvin and the Chipmunks video. So I was very happy when I found out about Masterbeat, a very cool site to download my tunes from http://affiliate.masterbeat.com/idevaffiliate.php?id=221. They specialize in dance/techno and funky remixes, but they have a huge catalog that covers all the bases (and it's where I learned the term turntablism). I knew I was in love when I searched for ABBA, and it came up with not only 426 ABBA songs, but Yo Gabba Gabba songs as well. Go DJ Lance Rock.

During my high school years, I had Depeche Mode posters on my bedroom walls, the Smiths on my walkman, and ran to MSG to see Erasure in concert. I was introduced to Yaz by my babysitter. Figured it was time for another list of music faves....

1. Oh L'Amour (Erasure) - I just found footage of this song from a 1989 concert on Youtube.
2. The Promise (When in Rome) - reminds me of driving my Malibu at night in the Summertime.
3. Too Pieces (Yaz) - at the time, this was the wackiest album cover I'd ever seen.
4. Ask (The Smiths) - this keeps you moving when you're heading up a long hill during a run.
5. American Boy (Estelle and Kanye West) - this is the one song of his I really enjoy, probably because of Estelle.
6. Mercy (Duffy) - found a dance remix of this, and yes, it works!
7. Build Me Up Buttercup (The Foundations) - whenever there is a wedding and this song comes on, my ENTIRE, crazy Irish family gets on the dance floor and screams the lyrics as loud as we can. Not sure why.
8. Just Like Honey (Jesus and Mary Chain) - mellow mood music, but now it makes me think of Lost in Translation. I still wonder what he whispered to her in the end.
9. Windy (The Association) - doesn't get more '70's sounding than this one.
10. Love You Madly (Cake) - very hard to pick just one fave of theirs, this can change your mood within five notes.
11. Freedom (George Michael) - I think this is where I got my love of facial hair from.
12. Canned Heat (Jamiroquai) - I got caught dancing to this in my cubicle by my boss. Not my finest moment.




No comments: