Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Yet another Quest

How does that Salt n Pepa song go...."here I go, here I go, Here. I. Go. Again..." Nope, I'm not talking about men, I'm talking about my latest quest!

If you've been reading my blog for a while, you know I'm always up for a challenge. I did a month of Amazing Grass smoothies (still going strong) as well as ten weeks to Get Active with blog friends. I read Tall Mom on the Run for inspiration, she writes about being active while working full time, and being a wife and mother, and she reviews the latest and greatest running products. Well, she cooked up this doozy of a challenge after completing it herself in 2009....it's to run 1,000 miles in one year. And since our New Year just started a week ago, that means I'm in a good place to try it myself!

It's a bit daunting, especially after I decided to take it easy on running for January. I'm not a betting kind of gal (except for the time I went to Vegas for my 30th birthday, and was yelling at the slot machines) but I bet that I can do it.

I ran three miles on the treadmill today, we have several feet of snow here, it definitely feels like January. I ordered a pair of Yak Traxs online (on sale, free shipping, I love after Christmas deals). I want to try and do more outside running during these winter months, and not be such a slave to my treadmill. Mike is nervous about me being on the road since the weather is so crappy, with all the large snowbanks he's afraid a car won't see me when I'm running. Until some of this melts, I'm going to have to stick to the trails around my house to give the Yak's a try. My cross country skis are also calling to me.....it's a good thing I like winter! : )

22 comments:

Lois B said...

Oh, Molly! You are inspiring. A 1,000 does sound doable at this point in the year. I have the advantage of better weather here in AZ, but you have me beat with motivation!

CailinMarie said...

ohhh that is cool... I'm even inspired. But it was SO COLD this morning and yesterday morning, I only ran on Monday... hmmm

Liz Mays said...

I'm like Mike. I worry about the cars and the visibility and also I'd worry about them sliding accidentally. Be safe!

Janie B said...

You are such a trooper!

Mrs. M said...

Good luck loggin in all those miles! You can do it!!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

YIPPEE!! Welcome to the club.

kristen said...

1K miles in 2010. Totally doable. Work it out girl.

Amo said...

After Christmas sales are best, aren't they? Well, good luck in your new quest! You seem to accomplish everything you put your mind to, so I'm sure this will be no different! And be safe!

Jennifer said...

I will do this! I am running 36 miles a week now. I think i may dial back, but i don't know. I guess i will wait and see if we win the nycmarathon lottery in march!

karen@fitnessjourney said...

1,000 miles! That is ambitious. Good luck!

Tara said...

Holy shit....you are making me tired. It's doable though! Maybe I'll join you.

Pining for Pinterest said...

Thanks for the comment! I seem to always be on the treadmill during the winter and I hate it! I am horrible during the winter :-)

Erin Conley said...

Molly,

The Yak Trax are definitely worth it. They do take a few times to get used to --- you may ache a bit more in the calf muscle area than usual after the first couple of runs. But believe me --- I live right outside of Buffalo, NY --- the Yak Trax do work in the heavy, sticky snow. As for running outside and the danger involved... use your best judgement. If there's room on the road, run there. If a car is oncoming and might not see you, hop onto the sidewalk or side of the road until they pass. I have to do this sometimes, too...better to be safe than sorry. Enjoy running in the snow!

Susan Fobes said...

I am glad you like winter-I personally am a "medium" type of person when it comes to weather, so the cold is no friend of mine. At least your scenery will be fantastic!

kristen said...

I know. I fell in love with the yellow team right away. I was so disapointed to see them go. They are beautiful people. You can tell that beyond their bodies for sure.

mudmama said...

Hmmmm, I think you are inspiring me :) Best of luck with it! You can do it!

Thomas Tan said...

Good luck, you can do it. Hopefully you won't have to run all 1000 miles on the treadmill!

Nicole @ Chic and Cheap Nursery said...

Good luck! But from what I have been reading on your blog for the past couple on months, I know you can do it!

yonca said...

Good luck Molly! Hmmm..I think I am going to try Amazing Grass.

Suzy said...

Hi! I just saw you on Felice's Upstate list and thought I'd stop by. I'm taking Tall Mom's 1000+++ challenge too.

Ghada said...

hmm...not sure if I could do it, but I will definitely cheer you on!I'm a noob runner so its slow and steady for me, not sure if I could make it...will have to do the math

Lacey said...

I totally need something like that get active challenge. I tend to hole up because my husband works nights mostly and I have random shifts. I really struggle with activity because I have no schedule! Just chaos and bad sleep habits.