Thursday, January 14, 2010

Lots to be Happy about, but I'll start with running and cooking


I never posted our Christmas card photo, here it is, but in our cards it was black and white.

What a week, our whole family got hit with a nasty stomach bug. These are the times when I really appreciate having three bathrooms. I may hate cleaning them all the time, but they come in handy when you have more than one person urgently needing one, at the same time! At one point Mike and I were both sick and Eliza took it upon herself to get her own breakfast one morning. After pushing a stool over to the fridge, she swiped a yogurt drink, made a little hole in the foil, then sucked it down. I feel like I shouldn't complain though, after seeing all the images from Haiti, it's breaking my heart to see all that devastation. Another reminder of how lucky we are.

Well, anyway, I met some new Blog "friends" this week, via Felice at The Happy Runner. She made a list of Upstate NY Bloggers, and I'm one of them! I was tagged by Ajh at Age Groups Rock, for a 10 Things That Make Me Happy list. I've done a few of these, so I figured I'd mix it up, and do 5 things about Running that make me happy, and 5 things about Cooking that make me happy! So here goes:

Running Happiness:

1. I love how can run alone, or with others, inside, or outside
2. I love how after the first mile, I get into that great running "groove"
3. I love getting all sweaty after a run
4. I love to make playlists to help me dance along as I run
5. I love setting new goals for myself, they can be as small as doing a bunch of hills in one run, or running a half marathon


Cooking Happiness:

1. I love the whole process, planning, shopping, chopping, mixing, stirring (with a glass of wine at my side of course)
2. I love to make a bunch of food, and freeze half of it, for nights I don't feel like cooking
3. I love to make people happy with food, I can get my husband to do anything, I just have to bake him some cookies.
4. I love to look at a recipe, but tweak it to my liking, by adding some things, and subtracting others.
5. I love how I can control what goes into my food, to make it healthy for my family.


Now I need to tag 10 people, so here we go:


Jennifer at Arcane Matters




The Girl with the Flour in her hair at Peeling an Orange with a screwdriver


Lauren at Mud Mama

Teri at the Mighty M Family

22 comments:

Mary Poppins in Heels said...

Thank you for tagging me! I'm going to have fun making up my list.

I love the picture of your beautiful kids. They look so happy and inquisitive! And I love the visual of Eliza sucking down a yogurt drink. Had it been me, I'd have gone for the cookie jar! Smart girl, yours!

Nicole said...

thanks for the tag!!! that christmas card must've been so gorgeous, your kiddies are beautiful and with them wearing green and black of Christmas colors (and with their cheery smiles) it must've looked awesome! sorry you guys got sick:(

list coming soon!

Pining for Pinterest said...

I love cooking with wine by my side!!! It always makes me happy! I love the lists :-)

Kate said...

Thanks for the site recommendations - am over to look at them now.
Kate x

ihaverun said...

There's nothing like that groove after the first mile! And I would never survive without my goals. This was fun to read!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tag, Molly...off to think about my happiness!!

mudmama said...

Thanks for the tag. That is a great idea to think about those things that make us happy! will go do my list now.
Your kids are darling!!

mudmama said...

ps) i love to cook with wine, too (sometimes i put it in the food ;) )

Liz Mays said...

I used to run and I found that to be true also. The first part was kind of excruciating but within the first 10 minutes, the groove happened and it was all good!

:)

Mrs. M said...

Thanks for tagging me - I love how you broke down your lists! A glass of wine is necessary for proper cooking technique! :)

Susan Fobes said...

Molly, your kids are too cute! I also like your happy lists-hope everyone is feeling better!

ajh said...

Your kids are just adorable. I love seeing your list. I share some of the running things mainly. I run alone, with others, inside or outside. When I first ran I always wanted a buddy but soon realized I needed to get past that or I would run very seldom. I would say I also agree with 2, 3, and 4 but especially with 5. I have been setting many running goals for years! They make it fun. I am a big list person so crossing off and keeping track of those goals works well for me!
I do not share the cooking goals! Oh well.

Nicole @ Chic and Cheap Nursery said...

Thanks for the tag Molly! I'll be posting my list tomorrow, friday!

Katie said...

Your children are so cute- what a gorgeous picture!

Serenityville said...

Hey, love the idea of a happy list! And it's a cool way to get to know you, somehow more personable than some blog posts, you know? Gets right to the meat, our true loves.

karen@fitnessjourney said...

How I wish I loved the cooking process. I am not a good cook-I can chop like nobody's business though!

yonca said...

What an wonderful pic of your kids.Love your happy lists. I took a long&fast walk the other day.I couldn't run but even walking fast was good enough to make me happy:)

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

Hi Molly, I'm coming over from SITS! Love your blog, your topics and decided to become one of your followers. I noticed that "The Girls from Ames" is one of your nightstand books. I'm originally from Ames, Iowa and have heard quite a bit about the book. I hope you stop by my blog too someday. I left the city to in the country too and chat about cooking and living in the country. Have a beautiful day! Roz

Amo said...

First of all, I love the picture of your kids. They are adorable! And second, I wish I had your motivation when it comes to running and cooking. I don't enjoy either very much. But, I'm hoping to develop a love for them! I do like cooking, but it kinda stresses me out because I am learning as I go.

Emily said...

Love the blog! I also adore making dance worthy playlists. I sometimes find myself busting a move on the treadmill and realize other people are watching me and might find my dance party a little strange. Oh well, I love it!

Mark said...

I was tagged by my friend Kelly, who was tagged by you! After reading your two newest posts, I am convinced we may have been separated at birth. My life pretty much revolves around my next meal. I love food. Keep on keeping on.

Best,

Mark

Brad said...

Your kids are toocute, thanks for sharing the picture.