Saturday, January 16, 2010

Just what the Doctor ordered


I made it outside this morning for a run, the first one since getting over this stomach bug, and it was great! I ran with the Lake Effect runners for the second time, I've been wanting to join them again since early December, but between the holidays and various commitments, I haven't been able to do it.

This morning everyone met up in the town next to mine, to run a two mile loop through the village, as many times as you wanted. It was a balmy 35 degrees when I got there, with clear roads, perfect running weather for January. I got my Yaktrax in the mail this week, and even though we have snow, the paths and roads are pretty clean, so I'm going to have to wait for the next snowfall to try them out. Everyone met up at a coffee shop in town, called Ophelia's. It's a nice, spacious spot, they serve big mugs of coffee and bakery items (I took home a box, you know, for Mike). The nice thing is that proceeds from the shop help support their non-profit organization, which provides resources for individuals with eating disorders.

I didn't bring my ipod, I wanted to chat, and I need to learn not to be so dependant on it during runs. We set off, and about a 1/2 mile in, started up a gradual incline. If I have to do hills, that's how I like them, in the beginning, so I can get them over with. The loop passed through quiet residential roads, and a school, we went by a bunch of teenage boys out running, they were obviously having some kind of Saturday morning practice. The run went by pretty quickly, and aside from the first hill, it was fairly flat. Then around mile three, my stomach started churning, which got me nervous for a bit, but I think my body is still working itself out after being sick. So we finished up that loop, and headed back to Ophelias, grabbed coffee, and sat down to chat.
My sis in law, Jeannine, had a new gadget with her, which I lusted after right after she showed it to me. One of the benefits of a January birthday is that I can try and finagle gifts that I didn't get for Christmas. J has a Nike + iPod , and it was really cool. It tracked our distance (4.25 miles), calories burned (457), and pace (9:23).
Speaking of ipod's, I need new running music again, although I have a new favorite running tune, Use Somebody, by Kings of Leon. It kind of grew on me, it's the kind of song that makes you want to run fast, or drive fast.....both of which I like to do.
Don't forget about the Sweet Riot Giveaway....it ends January 22, so check it out!

13 comments:

Manderz said...

I have a pair of yax trax I have yet to try out too! But hey, I'm not complaining because I hate the snow. Sounds like you had a great run!

Susan Fobes said...

Molly, I am not sure what Yaktrax are, but do you know about some exercise shoe that has built in weights (not sure if they are weights)that supposedly work your calf muscles whether running or not? I think they are by Reebok but not sure. Do you know anyone who has them? Let me know if you do...

ajh said...

I have Yak Trax that I couldn't live without! They are great. Running with the group sounds fun!

Unknown said...

It sounds like you had a great run, and it was the perfect day for it!! I'll be out tomorrow for sure - sans yaktrax...yay!!

Pining for Pinterest said...

YAY for the great run! I hope that you are having a wonderful weekend :-)

Jennifer said...

Yaktrax? What are those? I have the Nike Plus system and it is pretty cool. Do you want to test drive it for a while and figure out if you want one? I am not using it much since I am running on the treadmill which tells me miles, distance, pace etc etc., making Nike Plus redundant! Let me know and I'll send it up.

Off to google yaktrax....

JenLo said...

I just bought YakTrax last week and haven't gotten to use them---our snow cleared up too. But I'm worried about them feeling weird on my shoes, so I'm happy I haven't had to use them.

mudmama said...

That's great! Glad your stomach bug is better. I thought of you today, when I was running on the treadmill (I am not a big runner) but I thought about that stride you get in after the first mile and I kept on trckin' :)

Erin Conley said...

I swear by my YakTrax, and I need to use them regularly here outside of Buffalo. It takes a run or two to get used to the feel of them on your feet, but after that you almost forget they are there. I have the Nike + iPod but always get frustrated because it never seems to accurately record my time, distance, etc. I prefer using my Ipod with my Ironman watch --- I can control the songs and volume right from the watch. Keep up the good work with your running!

G said...

what is this nike ipod thing? I need it.

RunToTheFinish said...

ohh love my yaktrax! you will have fun in those.

the nike pod is just not my thing...it isn't always accurate and you have to keep buying new batteries. but i know it's fun to join all the online challenges

J said...

I may need some yaktrax this winter cause i do NOT want to slip on the snow!

Tara said...

Yak trax are a savior for us runners who live where there is snow and ice!! Whoohoo for yak trax!

I love that King of Leon's song too. I need to reload my ipod; any suggestions?