Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Organic Snackin'


I have a love/love relationship with food. There really aren't many things that I dislike, other than sea urchin, and I've always eaten my veggies, and although I'm not a vegetarian I eat vegetarian meals several times a week. Like so many people, I struggle to find balance in what I eat, but I think there is room for all types of foods in your diet, if you just try not to go overboard. Easier said than done, I obviously struggle with this more often than I like, but I realize now more than ever that I need to set a good example for my children, as my Dad did with me (if you'd like, see this post here.......and while you're at it, if you'd like to see how I became a runner, click on this link to RunnerDude's blog).

Today I was so excited to receive a package from Newman's Own Organics, chock full of all sorts of organic treats and snacks for me to try, and review. There is so much to talk about that I'm going to have to do a few posts to cover them (tough job huh?).

Newman's Own Organics started as a division of Newman's Own (love their light salad dressings), but are now their own separate company. Their tagline is "Great tasting food that happens to be organic" They focus on the kinds of products we loved as kids, but they take them one step further by using the highest quality organic ingredients. I'll be trying out their dried fruits, chocolate (!), soy crisps, various cookies, pretzels and mints. I'm going to have Mike and the kids help me out too, kids and husbands obviously like to snack, plus I have to wait to sample the chocolate goodies, since that's on lockdown this month.*

So I'm curious, other than fruits and veggies, what do you snack on? And what do you give your kids?


*The reviews will be my own, I haven't been compensated in any way for them.

26 comments:

Liz Mays said...

When I am being a good girl, I tend to snack on things like popcorn, pretzels, or almonds. :)

I won't tell you the crap I eat when I'm not being a good girl.

ajh said...

I snack on lots of things but biggies are popcorn, ice cream and yogurt. BTW I did want to know your how you began running story but the link didn't connect.

Unknown said...

This is one area I really struggle with...I love Newmans, but, when it comes right down to it, I have a hard time with the "healthy" junk concept. As always, i am seeking balance, and have not found it yet!!

Unknown said...

Hey...just saw you are doing the Chilly Chili...I think me and Kel are going to do it too.

Mary Poppins in Heels said...

My favorite snacks are things like homemade cookies and, oddly, raw vegetables. I absolutely love all Newman's Own everything, though, all of it.

Mrs. M said...

I love Newman's organic items! I like to have the kids Clif bars handy...they are good for snacks, easy to take along, and not too big!!

Pursuit of Healthfulness said...

Lucky, lucky you! I'd have to say, I mainly stick to fruits and veggie based snacks... but it's all about texture! Some days I'll crave a crisp apple. Other days, I just need something with "melt-in-your-mouth-ability", so I zap an apple in the microwave with a little sugar free syrup and cinnamon. (Though, convenience is also important in snacking!)

Rookie on the Run said...

Great box of samples! I'm not much of a snacker but when I get the need, I like just about anything that can be covered in almond butter.

Caroline said...

Oh my goodness! That looks awesome!!!! I'd love to try and snack on all of that!

(stopped by from SITS--enjoyed your blog!)

Beatrice said...

Homemade cookies, bits of chocolate, fruit, yogurt, almonds, instant oatmeal -- and of course chips (although in the last year I've moved towards chips as a weekend-only treat).

Suzy said...

My go-to snack is 6-8 salted almonds, or plain almonds out of the fridge. Of course there are the cookies too, but those don't count, right?

Pining for Pinterest said...

Lately I have been snacking on the nuts and cranberries! Yummy :-)

yonca said...

I love Newmans. Sometimes I give a pack my son for snacks to take to school.Look forward to read more about Newman's products.

HautePinkCloset said...

My fav healthy snack is dried fruits and nuts. Mainly cranberries and raw almonds, yum yum! I didn't know Newmans had an organic snack selection, I'm going to have to check it out.

Nicole said...

ooooo I love organic snacks!!! I snack on lots of nuts usually like almonds and also apples, and sometimes dried papaya. I didn't realize newmans had organic treats, thanks for the tip and I look forward to reading your reviews!

ajh said...

That's a great story about how you became a runner. Thanks for providing the link. How did you happen to be featured on Runner Dude's blog?

ajh said...

I just tagged you. Go read today's post to see what it is about. Enjoy Thursday!

ajh said...

Oops didn't put the link sorry here goes!
http://wwwagegroupsrock.blogspot.com/2010/01/wednesdays-10-happy-things.html

Tara said...

I love Silk soy yogurt. I snack on them a LOT! I also love trail mix. I also have a love/love relationship with food. :) You cracked me up when you said that!

My daughter snacks on chicken nuggets and pizza. I know...healthy right? I remember when I was a teenager and consisted on ramon noodles and cookie dough, so I hope she comes around.

Debbie said...

My snacking is all over the board from fruits and nuts to chips and queso. I believe in variety:)

Susan Fobes said...

Types of snacks, hmm... Depends on my mood, but try to eat at least 3 fruit servings daily and get the kids to do the same. After that, I tend to grab whole wheat crackers if I am being food conscious, but I had a piece of cheese cake tonight because, well, I wanted it...

Michal said...

holy smokes your one lucky duck! I usually snack on fresh fruit, veggies and nuts.

The Blonde Duck said...

I have to force myself to eat veggies, but I'll eat fruit all day long.

Anonymous said...

Snacking is my worst enemy...once I start, I can't stop. so I don't snack at all. But I love my veggies en fruits and fish AND meat, no less. I have to admit to fall for chocolate....sigh..
ronelle

Katie said...

I love larabars! They generally only have 4-5 ingredients and taste delicious. I also tend to have a glass of red wine and a square of dark chocolate at night.

Michelle @Flying Giggles said...

It is so hard when the entire family gets the stomach bug! That happened to us last October, it wiped us out!

I tried responding to your post on my blog, but your email is set private. My daughters were also on Nasonex, along with the Sudafed and Zyrtec. How old is your son? Have you tried removing Dairy from his diet? I am so shocked that most doctors do not realize how many children are allergic to dairy. I was very concerned that my doctors did not explore that possibility, but I since learned, that they simply don't know. You can google, "milk" AND "Allergies" or "Dairy" and "Allergies" to get a wealth of information. Does your son get ear infections as well?