Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Hoping for a Happy Fourth


I'm getting ready to head down to visit my family in NY for the Fourth with mixed feelings. I'm excited for a LI beachy BBQ holiday, haven't had one in a while, so the rain better stay away. I have two new nieces to visit, one is only five days old! But at the same time, D is having her surgery tomorrow, which we're scared about. To say she's a trouper is an understatement, wanted us all to go on with our holiday plans while she recuperates. I'm praying it goes well, and that her oncologist comes back with a plan for a quick recovery.

But back to the Fourth. I'm definitely patriotic. I love my country, I think we are all so lucky to have been born in the U.S. My Grandfather was in WWII, my Dad was in Vietnam. My cousin served in Iraq. I pray every day for our servicemen and women all over the world. But that said, I feel that in many ways our country is at a cross roads, and I don't know what the future is going to hold. I saw a video this morning that is a perfect example. It's of NY State Senate Democrats sitting through the Pledge of Allegiance in protest after losing political control of the Chamber to Republicans. This whole Democrat vs. Republican battle is getting very old. It truly scares me when elected officials play games with our government. And what kind of example is this setting when they can't even respect the flag of our country? Something to think about, in between all the burgers and brews.

No comments: