Friday, June 24, 2011

Five for Fri-day, Summer edition

1. You know what's gross?  When you take the dog for a walk, he does his business, you pick it up with a plastic bag, and as you tie it closed, the bag breaks, and as the contents fall out, you jump back in surprise, and your foot lands on one of the three piles.  And you're wearing birkenstocks. Without socks.





2. There's something to this "getting used to the orthotics before you run" thing.  It is day three, and today I can wear them for three hours.  My arches are a bit sore, and surprisingly, so are my hamstrings, which is where I have issues.  So my optimism level is higher now than it was earlier in the week!

3. It's a good thing I looked at the calendar last night.  I have to start Marathon training in two weeks!  I'm going to follow the same 18 week plan that I used for my first marathon, it's the Boston training plan that my friend C followed when she ran Boston.  I start right after Fourth of July Weekend. Yikes!!

4. The first thing I did this morning was put on my bathing suit.  School ended Wednesday, and we are finally in full on summer mode.  Yesterday we kicked it off with a visit to the doctor for yearly physicals (I like to get it out of the way), followed by a trip to the library, where we cleaned them out of about 100 books.  I love it when you walk into the library, and the first thing you see is a new release sitting on the shelf by one of your favorite authors.  I snagged a copy of Silver Girl, by Elin Hilderbrand. Her book titles are really sappy, but they're page turners.  We ended the day at the pool, where I actually got a chance to swim a decent amount of laps.  Dinner was outside on the newly bee-free deck, and all was well.

5. Speaking of pools, what do you swimmers use to get the chlorine out of your hair?  I color my hair, so I'm afraid to use a clarifying shampoo, I need to keep the color on my greys : )

Happy Weekend!!

18 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I use regualar shampoo, no matter what I try, I still like chlorine for days. I dont color my hair, so i am no use

kristen said...

That's really gross. But I'd like to thank you for actually being a responisble dog owner and picking up your dog shit. I find myslef chastizing (sp?) people when I watch them walk away from the dog shit. I will ALWAYS say something and make them feel like the shit they just left on the ground for some poor person to step on.

Regular shampoo. They make special shampoo, but your a swimmer. You'll smell like chlorine. It's the way it is.

Lisa said...

I agree - gross!!! And in your birks - boo!

When i swam in HS & College, I used this.
http://www.amazon.com/Malibu-2000-Swimmers-Shampoo-Chlorine/dp/B000FSJH2O

Glad the deck is bee free and you are all able to enjoy it as a family!

Unknown said...

Get yourself some TriSwim. They make shampoo, conditioner and body wash. Annie uses them and says it is great b/c it gets the chlorine smell out. I shave my head so have no comparison!

Amy said...

One of the reasons I don't swim in pools (aside from not being able to swim in a straight line) is that I don't want to chlorinate my coloured hair. If you find a shampoo that you really like, can you do a post about it?!

Amy said...

One of the reasons I don't swim in pools (aside from not being able to swim in a straight line) is that I don't want to chlorinate my coloured hair. If you find a shampoo that you really like, can you do a post about it?!

SupermomE13 said...

Oh yeah... super gross. Sorry!!! Poor Birks!

I hope the orthotics work out and start feeling good soon. I know they work wonders for a lot of people. :)

Hey, I would really appreciate it if you could help me spread the word about the big fundraising giveaway I am having right now. I have over $650 worth of great prizes. Thanks SO much!
http://seemomrunfar.blogspot.com/2011/06/totally-awesome-fundraising-giveaway.html

Unknown said...

I've had that happen to my Birks before, I was so sad. But now I can't even wear them because it'll cause the knee pain that made me go to a running store and get good shoes and insoles. ):

ajh said...

Love Elin Hilderbrand. Jealous. That would be a good book on the cold rainy day.

Ally's Sweet and Savory Eats said...

I just picked up an Elin Hilderbrand book at the Salvation Army of all places yesterday afternoon when I had some time to kill:)

Unknown said...

I love Elin Hildebrand...just picked up one of her books yesterday from the library! Glad you are getting some pool time in...I actually didn't realize the pool was open again! We'll have to get the kids together!

Anne said...

I love hearing about others' favorite authors, must find Elin H. :)
Yuck on the dog poo...

Hope the orthotics do the job and that you are feeling great when you start your marathon training!

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

Mmmmm....nothing like fresh doggie dung between your toes.

Susan Fobes said...

Sounds like you're ready for summer and training, minus the dog poop that is! LOL!

Caratunk Girl said...

I use regular shampoo, but I don't color my hair...

UGH that poopy thing is nasty!! What a bummer! I have done the same but with flip flops...THe only thing worse is helping them out with a clinger - you know, when the poop is hanging out and you need to "help" them? So yucky

Black Knight said...

I don't have a dog .... but I have to clean the litter of the cats!
I use normal shampoo after swimming.

Unknown said...

I could totally see me doing the whole poop thing! ;)

I use Triswim, like Jeff said. And I color my hair. It works great! Usually at the first of the month, they give a 40% discount on FB. I'll keep an eye out for you on Friday, but they are listed as SBR Sports, Inc. on FB!

Raquelita said...

I hardly ever swim so I'm of no use to you on the shampoo front. I hate it when my dog decides to take a second crap on a walk when I've only brought one bag. It is mortifying.