Monday, August 24, 2009

Nothing like a good run to start the week off right



We had another great weekend with the family, Eliza's birthday party was a success. We managed to find a princess birthday cake, complete with a light up Cinderella....what more could a 3 year old ask for.
My sister in law had never seen our wedding video, so I dug it out of the bookshelf, and relived our wedding, which was 10 years ago. We were all laughing away, and then my 9 year old niece said, "wow, you guys were all so thin!" ouch! That comment was a perfect reminder to stay on track this week with my running.
Mike had the day off from work today, so I took advantage, and planned a run around the neighborhood. Then I read Colorado Runner's post about her trail run, which sounded like a great idea, so I changed plans, and drove over to Beaver Lake to run the trails. I didn't really have a distance plan, I decided to just see how I felt as I went along. I did 4.5, then ran to the car to chug some water and eat some m&m's. I still haven't tried Gels for energy, I'm afraid of what they might do to my stomach. My friend Karin suggested the m&m's, and this was the second time I've added them to a run. I felt good, so I headed back out to do a 3 mile loop around the lake. I've been calling my left leg "my leg of many problems" because of my hamstring, arch and bone spur issues. As I started up the first steep hill, my arch started aching. I cut myself some slack, as I did my fair share of eating and drinking wine this weekend, so I walked it. Then I got into my groove, until a yellow jacket flew into my face. I don't know what it is about bees this summer, but I feel like there are more of them than usual. We had a whole colony living above our sliding glass door that Mike had to get rid of, and I really don't like bees. I'm okay with the occasional bug flying into my mouth during a run, but I'm not down with them stinging me as they go in. I managed to swat it away without getting stung, and that bit of adrenaline got me sprinting a bit. Got back into the groove, and saw a few deer as I finished up, which is always cool.

I ended up doing 7.5, and I was happy. I'm icing my foot, and think I'll do a few more runs of this distance this week, and hoping to do 11.5 over the weekend. My half marathon is coming up fast, so gotta get with the program!!

7 comments:

yonca said...

Glad you had a great weekend with your family! Wow, Eliza's birthday party cake looks great!
Your niece said you all were thin? He he..
My son does this all the time whenever we look at our wedding photos :-)
I wish I could run!
I use my indoor exercise bike every morning.
Sometimes love to walk early morning :)
Glad you had a great wekend!

Tara said...

What a beautiful cake! I love little girls; they are sooo much fun. Happy Birthday to your little Eliza.

I'm so glad you had an awesome trail run! There is nothing better then being out in the woods.

Theta Mom said...

Happy B-day to your little girl! That cake looks so good!!!

natalee said...

I love the cake... aww i so long for little girls...hugs!!!.Natalee

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Thanks for stopping in on my Blog. I am hoping to get my 2nd half Marathon or Marathon run this fall. I truly love the half Marathon distance.

You know I get hit my bugs all the time, but no bees yet :)

Have a great day!

Mel

Eliza Returns said...

Wow what a great cake! ;)

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm turning to shot bloks because I've been having energy issues on my runs. :\ I'm going to give the M&Ms a try (thanks for the tip :)... also heard Fig Netwons are good for energy ... cause those shot bloks are EXPENSIVE :\ I don't know about the GU ... I tried the Strawberry Banana on and it tasted like SNOT :\


True Blood Rocks :)

Name: Holly Bowne said...

I always knew M & M's had secret powers! I haven't been able to run in quite a while due to foot and knee trouble. Good for you working your way through it all!