Thursday, September 16, 2010

I can't believe it's over!

Have I been laaazzzzyyyy this week. 

Well, I still did my usual housewife stuff, but I also had plenty of chances to watch a chick flick (The Proposal), eat salt and pepper popcorn (popped by Mike) and drink wine (Chardonnay).

The day after the marathon I took off my Marathon Hat and put on my Mom Hat, I got Luke off to school, took Eliza to her first day of preschool, went to PT, then to the library for story time sign up. My post- race soreness didn't really kick in until Tuesday, when I literally had to roll out of bed to get out of it.  The worst part has been the inner thigh chafing, which scabbed over and now looks like overcooked bacon.  Mike took a picture of it for posterity.  My hammy is sore, but nothing terrible. 

So obviously I've been thinking of What's Next.  I feel like I'm on vacation right now, free of my training schedule, free to go for a run just for the heck of it.  I'm happy to have my Saturday mornings back, which are now filled with Luke's soccer games.  As for racing, I'd like to try and find a half marathon to do before the year is through.  My friend Kelly has been talking about a 50k trail run in November, you don't have to do the whole thing, but I'm new to trail running, and don't even have trail shoes so that might be a bit ambitious for me right now.

At any rate, I do want to do another Marathon, but next time around, I'd like to do it on a larger scale.  Rochester only had about 600 runners for the full, and over a 1,000 for the half, so it would be fun to do one in a larger city. 

I still have my 1,000 miles in 2010 goal, as of today I have 296.75 miles to run before midnight December 31st.  Which I think is doable, especially now that the kids are in school.  For the first time in 6 years I'll have several chances each week for guilt free running. I do need to focus more on cross training, and on my core, I could have done more while doing my training, and I'm sure that's why I injured myself again.

I had a surprise when I came home on Tuesday, beautiful sunflowers from my wonderful friend Jennifer, which are really brightening the kitchen. 

Now I need to go find my finishers medal, the kids keep swiping it from me.

29 comments:

Carly said...

I think you deserve a little vacation. :-) Enjoy the rest and the beautiful flowers.

ajh said...

I remember that mid week let down feeling when my marathon was over. Love the sunflowers! Enjoy your time off training.

Teamarcia said...

Lazy sounds really good to me right now! I'm looking forward to that week post marathon...at least I say that now. Pretty flowers!

Michelle said...

You definitely deserve a little down time - enjoy it!!

Andrew Opala said...

we have 3500 attendance in Toronto usually for the waterfront Marathon in September, or about 1000 for the Toronto Marathon in October.

Check out this site for all the races in Ontario. You have to pick the length and location.

There's also the Niagara Falls International one ... you start in Ontario, then run to NY and then back to Ontario.

Lisa said...

You're so close to 1000miles! Congrats! I'd be absolutely thrilled to be as far as you are today!

Christina said...

Beautiful flowers!
Enjoy your down time. You are so close to 1000 miles and will definitely hit that goal before the year is up.

Anne said...

Enjoy the well-deserved down time...you've got plenty of time to get those last miles in.

How sweet of your friend to send you sunflowers :)

H Love said...

enjoy your down time, you deserve it. Hope the bacon heals quickly.

Amy said...

Wow, you are so close to your 1000 mile goal! Enjoy this rest before picking your next race!! You deserve it!

Johann said...

Enjoy the time and rest well. I'm glad the hammy is not too bad. Have a great weekend!

Julie said...

Hi Molly,
You better be resting...you deserve it! I love the movie The Proposal! It is one of my favorites:) Take care of yourself and enjoy your little ones this weekend!

abbi said...

Take a breath and enjoy a short period of rest! You definitely deserve it!

MJ said...

Enjoy the rest!

Unknown said...

I feel weird every time I finish an event I trained hard for. You suddenly have so much time on your hands! Enjoy the break while you have it before you find your next challenge :)

Laura said...

Great flowers..enjoy the time off and rest..I can't wait to do that.

Sherry @ Life from my persective said...

Your flowers are beautiful... what a sweet friend you have!

J said...

I have had NO motivation to run this week at all! It is nice to just be able to relax and not worry about training for anything right now. I def agree that you should do a big marathon - prolly would be more fun that Rochester since that one is so small.

Tinkerbeth said...

Congratulations on your race finish! Hope to see you next week!

Allie @ The Constant Pursuit said...

We're right around the same mark for 1,000 miles this year... we can do it! Hope you're recovered :)

Unknown said...

Sounds like you are enjoying your "down" time a little which is perfect! You can totally hit the 1000 mile mark with a little recovery time!

Big marathons are fun, but remember that they can get crowded... there's pros and cons of both!

The flowers are beautiful!

The Green Girl said...

I'm glad you managed to squeeze a little 'you' time in. ::hugs:: It was well deserved.

Iron Mike said...

Those sunflowers look great. Nice contrast with your inner thighs given the description, chafing is such a silent runner's enemy.
You've completely earned 26.2 days of laziness if that's what feels best. Let your body recover as much as it needs, since your really put it to the test.
And completely random, listening to Weezer's Red Album a few times this week, the soundtrack for your blog should be Troublemaker, with a chorus that syllable for syllable works with your blog name. Check it out if you're not familiar.

Mark said...

Congratulations on the totally awesome new medal! Hey, if you are itching to run another marathon THIS year:
http://www.philadelphiamarathon.com/weekend-schedule

You have time to recover, and you can just roll over the training. Okay... okay... I'll do it if YOU do it!

Jennifer said...

I missed commenting on your last post- So, Congratulations! When I ran my first I remember how I felt later that day and the next, it all hurt so much but I was already planing my next race. You did a super job and kept going when the times got tough! Yea for you! Take some well deserved down time and live in the moment!

Black Knight said...

Time to slow down now and to plan new races. I think that the half is a good goal to test your body after the marathon. I love the sunflowers.

Jill said...

I'm always chomping at the bit to get training again...but I have to say this downtime is kinda nice. So lay out all your options and take your time, then register for the biggest race out there that tugs at your heart!! :)

Nicki said...

The flowers look beautiful!!

There is a half in Cortland in mid to late October if you are loose enough by then. Also, consider Wineglass next year. This year they doubled their registration to 1800 and are planning for more next year. There is no half associated with it, just a relay.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

A little R&R is what I think you deserve, 50k is cool, thats on a bike right, I mean, no one would run 50k?? oh ya your a runner, you cease to amaze me.