Saturday, March 19, 2011

Let's train, shall we?

I had such a great run this morning! Didn't matter that the temps were in the 30's, and there were a few snowflakes in the air.  It was the first of six training runs for the Mountain Goat 10 miler which takes place in May, and I kept telling myself that by the time these runs are over, spring is bound to be here.  I went over to the meeting place with my friend Heather, where we met up with Jeannine and Norine, and I spoke with a few friends from my running group.  It's so nice to be social at 8:00 a.m. on a Saturday : )






I feel like I'm off to such a good running start for this race season.  I'm amazed that the work I put in over the winter has actually paid off. Not to sound like a broken record, but this next race is really hard.  Really hilly hard, hence the name.  Thinking back to how I felt this time last year (which, by the way, I can't believe it's already been a year) I feel so much stronger that I am on a total runners high.







The run this morning covered the first part of the course, at mile one you're faced with a steady climb of over a mile.  Climb is a perfect word for it.  I can't seem to break an 11:00 minute pace on hills, but I made up for it on the rest of the course, made easier by the fact that I was running with Jeannine, and we chatted the whole time, which always makes the time fly by.  We managed 5.72 miles in 55 minutes, which I'm happy with.  I then went for coffee with some of the girls, and I noticed some of my fellow runners with loaves of bread under their arms.  There is a place in Armory Square called Pasta's Daily Bread, they have the best stretch bread in the world, so I made a beeline for it, and snagged a loaf.  Not for me, for Mike and the kids : )

I'm so jazzed up right now.  Maybe it's just the coffee I just drank, normally I'm a one cup girl but when I got home I was so cold that a second cup was in order.  Maybe I should go run some more.  Or at least take Frank the Tank for a walk.




Oh! I also wanted to mention that I'm over on Jason's blog, Cook Train Eat Race today!  He posted my Shamrock Run Race Recap, which is very cool.  Jason is one of the organizers of the Cupcake Marathon, and I also follow him on Twitter and Facebook.  He comes up with some amazing meals, and is a great motivator in general, so go check his blog out.

Happy Weekend!!

24 comments:

Unknown said...

Way to go!! Great run!!! I am the same way about hills. They tend to slow me down a bit but so much fun on the way down :) Um, that bread looks delicious!! Nothing better than starting the weekend off with a great run.

Love the Decor! said...

Molly You amaze me!!
Hey I am having a wonderful giveaway I would love for you to get entered!!

Teamarcia said...

I have a friend who seems to do lots of the races you do and is also training for that Goat. I cringe looking at those elevations. Be very proud of yourself--you've more than earned that 'high'!

ajh said...

Wow! Your happy attitude today comes through so clearly! That sounds like a very hard race but you will be great. Isn't it good to feel so good about something so good for us? I was thinking today how happy I am to be racing again!

Unknown said...

I think I saw you out the Corner of my eye today!! Great run!! :)

Penny said...

Great run. That Goatmountain 10 miler looks like it is to hilly for me. Not a fan of hills. So you go get'em girl. You can do it.

misszippy said...

Gotta love those hills! You earned that loaf of bread (I mean, your family did, right?). I love Frank!

Amanda@runninghood said...

I'm happier just reading this! :) Yay for runner's high. And wow, those are some great hills! I think I'll have a cup of coffee now too! But this will make my 4th. :)

Lisa said...

You're THE WOMAN!!!! Great run!

Terri said...

Great job! :) I try to limit myself to one cup of coffee a day, but that doesn't always work!

Heather said...

Sounds like you had a great run this morning, that's awesome! It's always nice when you think back to how you felt a year ago and you realize how much stronger you are, I feel the same way and it feels good! I've never heard of stretch bread.

Unknown said...

Happy weekend and happy awesome run! :)

Unknown said...

Those hills are going to be so much fun! You'll be in great shape for them by race day.

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

Runner's high cancels all negatives! Sounds like your dedication over the winter paid off!!

I'm going to go check out your guest post. Love Jason's blog!

Questionably Texan said...

Glad that the winter work has been paying off for you!
I'm a morning person, in that I'm up early, but I can't imagine being social at 8am on a Saturday.

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

Social + 8 am + Saturday morning... those three things just look weird when you put 'em all together.

J said...

Great run! I was up early yesterday to run too! Felt good to get out and be with ppl and run!

kristen said...

I love this post. It makes me so happy to hear how excited you are and CONFINDENT! Your awesome Molly. That hill looks feirce. I wouldn't be too disapointed with an 11:00 pace. Escpecially because you see it twice. And that's not counting the others. That's good pacing!

ps. That is a very dirty title post btw ;)

Unknown said...

Yay - love hearing that you are off to a great start this season! Such confidence... I LOVE IT!

A Prelude To... said...

What a great run! Hills are my nemesis...on the bike, on the run...sometimes I even feel hills in the pool. grrr :D

Great job!!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Nice run!!

I want fresh bread!!

Frankie is getting so big!!

Runners Fuel said...

I love it when the training is off to a god start!! Great job!!

Katie H said...

Oh my gosh- look at how big Frank is! Cute pup :)

I remember reading your recap of this race last year- didn't people end up on the side of the road with ivs? Yikes! Glad you are feeling so strong! And dude, I flippin hope spring is here by the time your training runs or over. It snowed this morning!!

Lindsey said...

I'm hoping that I can do mountain goat next year. (Tipp hill, too!!) I'll be living vicariously through you until then. Great job on Tipp hill!!