Friday, November 12, 2010

At least I've got the photo picked out in my mind






I have a love/hate relationship with Christmas Cards.  

My thing is, I want them to look festive, but not too Christmasey.  I know some of my relatives keep the photo from the card around well after the holiday's, so I tend to dress the kids in something simple, and put the emphasis on them, on their faces, so you can see how they've changed during the year.    

But that doesn't mean I don't want a cool looking card.  This is the one we used last year, from Shutterfly, which I chose after I spent I don't know how long looking at their cards.  I remember playing with the fonts, the spacing, the wording, the layout, matte or glossy, until I finally just hit "place order."  The arrived quicker than I thought they would, which was a nice surprise. 

This year, I'm thinking about making a wall calendar, but for my cards, I already have in mind who I'm going to have in the picture (more on that later).  Now it's just a matter of choosing which Christmas photo card.  I know I'll drive Mike nuts saying "this one? or this one?" but I love it, it's all part of the fun.

12 comments:

Emz said...

I love those. One day I will send out a christmas card. The Pita hates them. :( Well, hates being IN them. ;)

Love the Decor! said...

I stress every year about the photo and what everyone will wear but it always warms my heart when we go to a home that proudly has our little family displayed on the fridge : )

abbi said...

I'm sure you'll pick a good one for this years...yours for last year is lovely - simple, classy and festive!

Michelle said...

I drive my husband crazy over the card options! And don't even get me started about the calendar - we give a calendar to the grandparents every year. I love the way they come out but it has turned into a serious project! LOL!

Julie @ HotlegsRunner said...

the wall calendar sounds like a good idea. =)

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

BAAAAAAAAAH HUMBUG!!!!!!!

ajh said...

I LOVE Christmas cards. Our annual one is a big deal as is the Christmas letter. I have a ton of fun with it. Don't know what I am doing this year but last year one of our cats wrote it. I managed to get in the letter the points I wanted and be entertaining too (according to those who received it). I also love calendars. I have an idea for one I am going to make as a gift! You have gotten me excited about this but it is also a chore to find the time and get it how you want it!

Iron Mike said...

Shutterfly is great. You probably already do it, but I always Google for discount coupons before ordering if they don't have a promotion at the time.
I think if you follow the same trend as last year's card, you'll do great. Shots posing in front of the tree or sitting on the beach are a little too cliche. Good luck!

Jill said...

The are precious beyond belief!!!!

Julie said...

Oh Molly,
Your children are so beautiful! I love sending out Christmas photo cards each year. We have been doing it since Josh was four...it is a huge deal for us:)

I always make my father inlaw a calendar for Christmas and he loves it! I never thought about making myself one. What a great idea:) Good luck!

Have a wonderful weekend Molly!

Unknown said...

A wall calendar is a great idea! I might use that myself. And, I love that you keep it classic and simple.

Check Shutterfly on FB too for a discount.

Mayra Calvani said...

Great blog! I'm your new follower from MBC.
I hope you'll follow back.
Thanks!
Mayra
Mayra's Secret Bookcase