Thursday, November 4, 2010

26.2 on my mind

 

We're having a NYC Marathon/Football Sunday gathering this weekend, (football will be on Mike's new flat screen, his combo Birthday/Christmas/Anniversary/Valentines Day/New Job Present).  I remember watching the Marathon on television last year with Jeannine and thinking of how much I wanted to run one, and now, a year later we can both say that we have!  I used to love going to watch the Marathon in person, as a kid, as well as an adult.  We always stood at the 59th Street Bridge, to cheer on my friends who were running.

This is Luke and I on the way to his first NYC Marathon:




Now that I have a few good runs under my belt, I've been thinking of my next marathon. Once again I'll do the Lottery for NYC for 2011, but I need a back up.  This week it was announced that Syracuse will host the Empire State Marathon for the first time in October of next year.  I've looked at the course, and I've run parts of it before, but to do the full 26.2 you need to do two laps around the lake.  I don't know if I would be a fan of running something twice in one race, so I already think I'll just do the half.

A friend of mine is mulling over running the Buffalo Marathon in May, so there's another possibility.  But on the other hand, I think it would be fun to run a race somewhere other than NY State.

Hmmmmmmmm. Decisions, decisions.

If you didn't see my febreze Laundry Odor Eliminator giveaway, it's here.....two winners will have the chance to get the stank out of their workout wear!

26 comments:

Teamarcia said...

Here's to you and I both getting 'picked' for NYC next year. Happy spring marathon shopping!

Emz said...

I'm there in NYC next year!!

RnR AZ!!!! ;)

Amber said...

Oh boy! good luck!

Unknown said...

Someday I want to run NYC... I was born in Queens and would love to go back! :) Good luck finding a race that will work. Definitely explore outside of NY - that's half the fun!

KovasP said...

Chicago is always good. My wife and I are thinking Napa Valley Trail Races for 2012 - half for my wife, full for me.

Runners Fuel said...

So many choices!

Unknown said...

So many great races. You could drive to philly, Balt, DC, or go to a smaller place like the poconos/scanton. So many options. I've heard the Pittsburgh Marathon is a prety fast and scenic course. We'll probably do that in 2012.

Lisa said...

I heard about the race in Syracuse but didn't know it included two trips around the same lake. I don't think I'd like that much either. I need distractions when running 26.2 miles! I've heard the Hartford, CT marathon is great (and flat) but there's also a great one in Detroit where you get to run in Canada as well! Right now I'm planning to do the half.

If you run NYCM next year I'll be out there cheering for you!! I'm so excited for Sunday!

Anonymous said...

It would be fun to travel somewhere to run, that is if you can enjoy your destination before or after the race. Can't imagine you feel like sight seeing after, but I haven't run one either.

Jen said...

I love travelling for races! It makes it so much more exciting! And for some reason I find it more motivating. Good luck with your decision, and the NYC lottery! How amazing that would be!

Julie @ HotlegsRunner said...

I plan to do the NY marathon next year. God-willing I get in haha!

ajh said...

There's always the VCM in Burlington, VT in May!

Unknown said...

I did Lake Placid and it is 2 loops as well so I think I might join the Band wagon and do the Empire State Marathon!! Yeah!! theres so many around here..WineGlass is REALLY popular, Lake Placid, Adirondack marathon, Philly, Lots!!

Jill said...

Tons O Marathons to choose from. I always think it's so much more special if you do a destination marathon. Of the 17 marathons I have done, I have never done one in Denver. Crazy, huh? I say come to Colorado!!! :)

Erika said...

We are going to run chicago...but I'm also entering the lottery for new york as well because nicole deferred hers until next year, so I'm already planning on watching!

Questionably Texan said...

Good luck with the NYC lottery! That would be an incredible race to be a part of.

Julie said...

Hi Molly,
I am keeping my fingers crossed that you get into NYC! That is one that is on my list too:)

You should come to Minnesota and do TC with me next October:)

Take care and have a wonderful weekend!

J said...

I have heard Buffalo is a good and bad course. I may run the Flower city Half here next May but not sure I will be doing a marathon. Hope you get in NYC next year - that would be awesome!

Johann said...

I so want to visit NYC one day. A real dream of mine. I'll be watching the race on Sunday as well. Very exciting. We have many double lap marathons. It is just easier to organize traffic that way. I don't mind them at all.

RunToTheFinish said...

i can't wait to watch the marathon and I think I may try for the lottery this time!!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

There is a Mary in Toronto and their finisher medals look the size of a salad plate, being a medal whore myself, I find that race appealing for the bling.

Mindy said...

Good luck! I randomly found your blog through someone else that I follow and now I follow yours! I look forward to hearing about this marathon!

Michelle said...

So many to choose from! What about a marathon in NE? There's the Cape Cod Marathon, the Memorial Day Marathon in the Berkshires (I've been toying with running the half for this one) and the Hartford Marathon to name a few.

Good luck with the lottery and marathon shopping :)

Susan Fobes said...

Let us know what you decide...

Unknown said...

Hope you get into NYC. Buffalo is also on my list of "Maybe's". I have to consider the date more than anything else.
Have fun on Sunday.

Kevin said...

I have a feeling I am going to win the Febreze so don't bother entering the contest. I'm sure my wife will be thrilled. :-)

Kevin
http://halftriing.blogspot.com/