Saturday, January 1, 2011

well, I didn't expect to do THAT

What a holiday season, it went by so quickly, but it was fabulous, ending on a great note.  The last thing I expected to do on the first day of this new year is to sign up for a triathlon......but I did!

Let me backtrack a bit. This last celebratory weekend of 2010 kicked off with a little holiday gathering of my book club which was fun, but while I was there Mike kept texting me asking when I was coming home. So after stuffing my face with cheesecake, I went home, opened the garage door, and saw my sister Ali's car parked there. Total surprise, she and her boyfriend made the drive up from Astoria for New Years!  We had talked about her coming up, but I thought she had to work, so it was a huge surprise to see her.

Yay us!




We continued our tradition of spending New Years at home, but this year we had a lot of family over and everyone brought something to nosh on, I can't believe I didn't take any food pictures. 

One of the first things my friend Gina said to me when she arrived was, "I'm doing Iron Girl Syracuse and you are too!"  My reaction was similar to this:




Obviously I like to run, and I enjoy riding my bike weather permitting.  I'm a recreational swimmer, not an athletic swimmer.  So a Tri hasn't been on my radar.  Iron Girl will be a first for Gina too, so it would be a really fun thing to do with her (she's my sister in law Jeannine's sister, my marathon partner, so Gina roped her into doing it too). 

So this morning after a breakfast of lentils (supposed to bring Good Luck in the New Year, my friend Jennifer is a staunch believer in this), talking about it more with Jeannine and Mike, then a 3 mile run in the rainy fog, I decided to go for it.  Doing a triathlon is a whole new ball game for me, but Iron Girl is a sprint, so I feel confident about taking it on. 

Now I need to get some gear, thankfully my birthday is in January!  And I welcome any advice from all you Triathletes out there!!!

OH! and I picked the winner of the CEP Compression shorts giveaway.  The comments about the name of my blog were funny, and a few of the guesses were correct, it's my actual name.  My maiden name is Sleeper (just think of all the nick names I got with that) and my married name is Baker.  For our first Christmas as a married couple, Mike gave me a rolling pin, since I was an official Baker.  Anyway, thanks to everyone who entered, I used random.org to pick the winner, and it is Suzy from Running on My Time...send me an email with your info......Congrats!!

44 comments:

abbi said...

Yay on signing up for the tri - sounds like fun. It's nice to have others to help rope you into things! :-)

J said...

YAY a tri!! Such exciting news! And that is really neat about your last name! Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

WOW! You are going to love tri Molly. Such exciting news!

Lisa said...

Wow - that's going to be fun! Happy New year!

Lisa said...

What a great new adventure! Can't wait to read more as you train for the tri. Happy New Year!

Suzy said...

Woo hoo for a tri! I really want to do one this year, but it isn't the right time. You'll be great. Off to e-mail my info to you. I love a good giveaway. :D

Love and Puppies, Christy said...

Hooray! You will love it! Or hate it. :) Either way you will be great!

Trish said...

Woot Woot! I'm going to be doing my first tri this year also!! We'll have to trade tips and such :)

Caratunk Girl said...

Wahooo!! You are going to do great and have a blast at the tri! So cool your sister was there to surprise you! Happy New Year Molly!

Elizabeth said...

Wow, I know you are going to love it and it is a great way to start the new year.

Also got my Amazing Meal in the mail can't wait to use it. thanks.

Happy New Year

Unknown said...

Yay!!! We'll definitely have to chat about this new happening!!

ajh said...

Wow! Lots of new challenges in 2011! Can't wait to follow your tri journey!

Terri said...

Congratulations to the winner! Looking forward to hearing about your tri training!

Anne said...

What a fantastic way to start the new year...Happy New Year...sounds like it'll be a great one! :)

Annie said...

Good luck with the training for your new goal. I also signed up for my first sprint, so hopefully we can share beginner tips!

Pretend this is real said...

Good luck! Can't wait to hear how it goes.

Unknown said...

You'll love training for the tri as it will be so much easier on your body than just running. And the tri itself is such an amazing experience.
Happy New Year.

Julie said...

Yay Molly! I am thrilled that you decided to sign up for a Tri!! You just wait and see you will love it:) I am a terrible swimmer...I dog paddle....and not very good! Looking forward to hearing about your training and upcoming race!

Happy New Year!

Tortuga_Runner said...

What a delightful way to mix things up! Luck!

Johann said...

That is great! I think you will enjoy this and do really well! Nice one!

Jeff Vanis said...

Awesome for going along with it and doing the tri! You will quickly find that you will like it and want to keep finding more! Happy New Year!

misszippy said...

What a great surprise that your sister came in. And you will LOVE the IG race. We have one here (Columbia, MD one) and it's so much fun. Get a bike and start doing some bricks!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

SWEEEEEETTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!! You will do great, just keep telling yourself its only 16 total miles, piece of cake. Iron Girl sets up a first class race, when it comes to race day, I guarantee that 60%+ of the field will be rookies too, plus you already have race experience. any questions about training or what to expect on race day, email me

Anonymous said...

Tris are great fun and a real challenge. What a great goal! Can't wait to read about all the trainings.

Unknown said...

Yay!!! Molly that's awesome! All of us can answer any questions (or reassure any freakouts) that you might have! So exciting!

Black Knight said...

Well done! Other moments of glory are waiting for you! Go with the triathlon.
Happy new year.

Unknown said...

YAY!! Congrats on Joining the Triathlon world! Now I want to hear that you signed up for the CNY tri club and that I will see you out at Oneida Shores series!!

Zoë said...

A tri! You will be awesome! That's really funny about your blog name...love it!
Happy new year, Molly!

Unknown said...

Congrats on deciding to do a tri! You'll get hooked :)

Tara said...

Happy New Year Molly!

I think that's fantastic! I have a tri on my radar this year too, so it will be fun following each other. I can't swim worth a damn, so we can laugh at each other. :)

RunToTheFinish said...

good for you!!! That's a very exciting way to start the year

Teamarcia said...

Woot for the tri! Sounds like you started the New Year off right! Congrats to Suzy!

Amy said...

A sprint tri sounds like fun, especially with friends!

Happy New Year!

Carly said...

I think you're going to have a blast doing the tri. I've got a couple posts on my blogs about tips for begginners. Also, check out trinewbies.com. That's where I found my first few training plans.

Michelle said...

Wow - that is big news! Congrats on taking on a tri!!

Erika said...

That is AWESOME! I kind of want to give a tri a whirl this summer as well. Can't wait to follow this journey!

Runners Fuel said...

It's so awesome that you signed up for your 1st tri!!

Mark said...

I can not tell you how excited I am for you. Wait... I just did.

What's up with not having pictures of food?!!! Come on girl!

NY Wolve said...

Lentils for good luck? Down south it is black eyed peas and hog jowl.

Jill said...

That's so cool your sister made it for NY! You guys are so close, I can tell. Never had a sister, and always wanted one - whaaa! That is awesome you are doing your first TRI - I know you'll do great, and look at all the TRI stuff you get to get now! Oh, and we have lots of TRI's here in Colorado :).

HAPPY NEW YEAR, Molly!!!!

Liz Mays said...

You will take on that challenge with style. I know you can do it!

Iron Mike said...

Very cool Molly! I had just got done reading your goals for 2011 which were impressive enough, but the Tri looks like the final piece (ignoring the suspense of the mystery 26.2).
You'll definitely hit those 1000 miles this year, have a great Tri debut (i really don't think you need too much gear, but that's me) and of course I support the idea of a Disney Trip (if the prices are reasonable enough for me, well, yeah) :-)

Katie said...

So Awesome!! That is around the time of my first Tri too!

Fruit Fly said...

How exciting to be taking on a triathlon. More power to ya. I don't think I could ever dare to even consider that! I mean I'd never make it out of the water. I don't think you win points with the doggie paddle that I've perfected!