Friday, January 21, 2011

I'm calling it the wedding dress diet

We've been inside much of this week. MLK Day turned into a pajama day for the kids and I, it was way too cold to venture out, other than a few short walks with the dog.  But our time indoors has been anything but dull, and I managed to do some kettlebell work, and hit the treadmill a few times.

I've written about how I grew up in a house with ghosts, and I've mentioned a couple of weird things that have happened in the house we live in now.  The other morning, Frank and I were hanging out in the living room, when we suddenly heard a squeaking noise in the kitchen. We went in, and his toy stuffed mouse was on the floor, squeaking by itself.  The two of us looked at it for a second, then it stopped.  Weird, right?

Yesterday I was trying to come up with ideas to entertain Eliza with, so we played beauty shop, with purple lip gloss and clear mascara.  She loves to dress up, and lately her favorite is a wedding dress complete with veil and bouquet.  I am very lame, my wedding dress is hanging in the closet, I never had it cleaned/preserved into a box like I should have.  So I hauled it out....you know where this is going. E put on her dress, and ordered me to put on mine, which didn't quite zipper up all the way. We shuffled around my room playing ice skating princesses, then she ran off for a wand, so I started to make my bed. In my Wedding Dress. What's wrong with that picture?

Later on after snack, E looked at a photo I have on the mantle from our wedding. And said,"Look Mommy, that's when your dress fit you."

Thanks E.

31 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I dont have any youngins, but from what I hear there is a love/not so much loving relationship to their brutal honestity

Teamarcia said...

What a stunning pic!
If it makes you feel any better, my dress is just hanging there as well.

Heather said...

I laughed when I read the part about you making the bed while wearing your wedding dress! I'm not even sure where mine is...I think it's at my grandmother's house for some reason. That's a lovely picture.

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

lol. My dress is hanging as well. I actually had a goal to get it to fit last in 09 and I did! For about a week. lol. It's one of my goals but i totally get it.

Allie @ The Constant Pursuit said...

What a gorgeous photo! And you look fabulous now... no worries at all. :)

Still Running said...

Ouch! Still sounds like a fun day.

abbi said...

First, I would've freaked out at the dog toy squeaking by itself. Second, my wedding dress is just hanging in my closet too and doubt it fits.

Michelle said...

Definitely freaky about the squeaking toy! And, well...you gotta love the brutal honesty of our kids, right? BTW my dress is also just hanging in the closet and I have no doubt that it doesn't fit either ;)

Unknown said...

Kids are too funny -

My dress is too, hanging in the closets, uncleaned and unpreserved. I've often thought about trying it on, but I'm sure it wouldn't zip! HA :)

Carly said...

Uh, yeah. I got married in July and I'm pretty sure mine already doesn't fit. Oops.

One Crazy Penguin said...

That's a simply breathtaking photo!

Jill said...

LOVE your wedding picture, what a gorgeous couple :). Don't you just love how kids can be so honest? Well, until they hit high school...but that's another story!

Happy Weekend!

Suzy said...

Remember, kids are not known for tact! Your wedding photo is beautiful. My dress is packed away and hasn't been out of the box in over 10 years.

J said...

I just hope I fit into my dress when the wedding comes around! The way I am going I am eating everything in sight!

Karen said...

Beautiful picture!

Julie @ HotlegsRunner said...

woah, the squeaky toy story is kindda creepy! 0_0

but that photo os very lovely! would love to see the whole dress. Even if you're just making the bed with it =)

Anne said...

What a beautiful photo...gorgeous couple. And, you still look great :) Kids are so straightforward...it's almost funny :)

misszippy said...

Wow--you look spectacular! Darn kids and their mouths--I'll bet you can still fit into it!

Lisa said...

The photo is sooo cute!

Unknown said...

I love the image of you making your bed in your wedding dress. Mine is just hanging up in the closet too...maybe we should have coffee in our wedding dresses sometime!

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

1. You are the coolest mom ever.

2. If I ever have a toy squeaking by itself in MY house, the house will be on the market and I will be in a hotel.

3. That. Picture. Is. BEAUTIFUL!

Lisa said...

aw, gorgeous picture! I love that you dressed up with your daughter, so cute. I know I wouldn't be able to fit in my dress, I definitely need to go on the wedding dress diet! Have a wonderful weekend!

Detroit Runner(Jeff) said...

Oops. :) Great picture.

H Love said...

what a great mommy! dress is bootiful and so are you!

matrimony said...

Awesome photos, tooo good.
matrimonial sites
tamil matrimony

Terri said...

Great wedding photo! Kids are around to keep us humble, aren't they?

Anonymous said...

Hated hearing that, huh? Kids do say the darndest things!

Black Knight said...

Beautiful picture for a wonderful memory. About children, my daughter was talking with a friend of another friend and she said: "he looks like and elder 50 y.o.".....well I am 54...I can imagine how old I am for her!

Tortuga_Runner said...

Beautiful wedding pic. I love the pic on the blog as well. Good luck with the wedding dress diet. My wedding dress is in a Target purchased rubber tub in the attic, no dress bag or anything, just folded in. At least yours is hanging.

Iron Mike said...

This was so funny.
So glad that guys just return their tuxes.
THAT would not even be funny.

And you should hang out with my mom.
She'd talk ghosts with you all day.
Consider your haunted selves lucky!

Fruit Fly said...

That is really cute! :) My "party" dress, as I call it because I'm in denial of that whole stupid marriage, is sealed in a box. I don't see any way that it will ever fit again! I'm not even going to try, it would probably be too depressing to see how much it won't zip!