Friday, January 7, 2011

an addendum to the clumsy post

Falls, bumps, ouches in general happen frequently to me. If you've read this, you'll understand why.

A few days before New Years, I closed my bedroom door on my toes.  I was wearing my heavy duty slippers that I received for Christmas, to protect my feet in cases just like this one.  I was closing the door while holding a laundry basket so that Frank* wouldn't get in, and managed to catch my toe in that space between the floor and the door. Immediate blood and pain, I really thought I broke my big toe.  But the good thing is, I was able to run three days later : )

Then the other night I took Miss E to her very first Disney Princess on Ice show. I think I was more excited than she was.  Luke and Mike took off for a rare visit to the arcade, topped off with a trip to Friendly's, and Eliza and I were off on our girls night. I scored a great parking spot close to the arena, and we were right on time.  As we walked along the icy street holding hands, E looked up at me in her Hello Kitty hat and said how excited she was.  Then, we wiped out. I caught the edge of a curb covered in a muddy puddle with my boot, and went flying. I landed on my knees, rolled forward, then over onto my back (my poor white parka) and my new Christmas Coach bag skidded along the salt stained slush. Poor E also landed on her knees, and one of her boots flew off. Tears were shed and I felt like the lamest Mom in the world.

But all was well once I dumped some more cash into the Disney Machine:

E and her $12 slushy (soon to be followed by $10 cotton candy topped with a crown):





And the way she shrieked and clapped and laughed and gasped at the skaters, I think it was the best night of E's life.



* we found out that Frank is not so much of a medium sized terrier. He's more of a big black lab that is going to be at least 50 pounds.




Goofy doggie.

24 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you guys were okay and still able to enjoy the show. It's amazing what a slushie can do to wipe away bad memories!!

Carly said...

Oh no! Glad to hear you're ok! The Disney on Ice show used to come to my hometown the week of my birthday every year so my parents used to take me for my birhtday every year. Loved it!

*~*~* Tracy said...

Yikes! Glad you two were ok. E looks like she's one happy girl in that picture. What a fun night!

Michelle said...

Glad you two were ok! And I love E's Hello Kitty hat!

J said...

I have wiped out on ice more than once and it always hurts! I was so afraid yesterday during my run I would fall on the snow covered sidewalks! Thankfully I didn't.

Unknown said...

Say hello to Frank for me !!!!

Molly, you are not alone in your clumsyness. I feel down the bottom 3 steps onto the tile floor on Wednesday night right in front of my wife. The pride hurt worse than my butt!

Then to follow up that moment of Grace, on Thursday morning I feel going up the steps - this time I was in my cycling shoes so I had an excuse but it still looked pathetic!

Have a great weekend Molly!

Unknown said...

And then I became even more clumsy with my spelling: feel = fell; clumsyness = clumsiness.

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

But most importantly...

IS THE COACH BAG OKAY?????

lol

Still Running said...

I wish something could make me as happy as that when I scrape my knee.

NY Wolve said...

In my driveway, we get black ice. That is a thin layer of ice formed at night from snowmelt, and on a black surface is really hard to see. I have massively wiped out several times and once thought I had reinjured my reconstructed knee. And no one else has an issue with it. I think it is because I am tall and my venter of gravity is higher. At least that is what I tell myself.

Andrew Opala said...

can anyone say Yak Trax ...

I hope the lab doesn't have bad breathe like one I know ... He always graces us with a wiff at dinner time ... simply awesome!

Frank should be able to catch a regulation football soon, and will be able to chase down receivers in about 6 months ... have fun!

misszippy said...

Oh that stinks! But sounds like all ended well and you had a great time. She is so cute! And so is Frank...

Jill said...

$12 slushies cure all, especially at a Disney show :). Oh man...I can't tell you how much I loved those special moments with my daugther ... she's 20 now and we still do things, but they just aren't the same as when she was younger!

Amanda@runninghood said...

ouch. But sounds like the slushie did the trick. Love seeing my kids Happy and so excited about life and moments like these! So wonderful! You sound like an amazing mom.

Lucas R. Tucker said...

E looks so cute..I am glad you fals got soem girl time! Frank looks like he is getting big.

Unknown said...

Aw, I'm glad you were ok! I feel ya on the clumsiness. Hope you weren't too bruised up.

Tara said...

Good lord, you and my daughter would be a couple of clumsy elephants if you were together, she's the same way. Hope that toe feels better!

Miss E looks super cute in that hat! I want one....and a slushy too. Glad you all got some girl time in. :)

Have a great weekend chickie!

Mark said...

Oh My Goodness! Did you say Disney Princesses on Ice?! That would be like crack for my little girls.

ajh said...

Look at your sweet daughter! Sounds like a fun time, making memories!

Iron Mike said...

What a fun day, despite your little kabooms.
Molly, I do hope E is using that cup every single day now! Just depreciate it over the course of a year, and you're looking at a bargain slushee+cup for just like 4 cents/day.
And when I bought my kids the $10 cotton candy at an X-mas parade, they dropped it in the road. The road!
Disney Princess on Ice is a great Mommy/Daughter event, glad you bounced back!

Unknown said...

Disney is so much fun to see. I wish I could convince the boys that they'd enjoy it.
I'm so glad that you both were able to recover from your spill. That slushy would make anyone smile! You are a Queen Mom!

Susan Fobes said...

Well, I feel for you Molly-we must share the same sort of genes! And if your dog has the personality of a lab, he will be your kids best friend...

Black Knight said...

Disney on Ice used to come here many year ago and I remember that it was my mother's gift to my son when he was a kid. Now mom has gone and the kid is a father.
I like Frank a lot because he is Black and he likes that kind of ball.

Unknown said...

Glad that you were alright. Nothing a slushy and cotton candy can't make better right? Sounds like a great night (besides the fall!)