Saturday, January 8, 2011

One Day, Two Virtual Races

I just realized that I ran my first two races of the year! In one day!  Well, they were virtual, but they still count. : )

It was a fun way to spend an hour of my Saturday, especially because I've been feeling lousy since Wednesday. I woke up with a nasty headache, I don't get them often, but for three days I felt like my head was filled with cotton, and a knife was stuck in my left temple.  I did everything I could think of to get rid of it, advil, coffee, a smoothie, an ice pack, I even drank some nuun.  I finally kicked it this morning, Mike let me sleep in until 10:30! I musty have really needed it, maybe it was residual holiday exhaustion.

Anyway, I had signed up for Pam from Thirty Schmirty's "It's M'Burfday" Virtual 5k.  And since it was on the same day, I figured I would do Adam from I am Boring's Freeze Your Thorns Off Virtual 5k as well.  Adam's race was fitting, since it was in the 20's today, but Mike had to go help a friend of ours move, so I had to run on the treadmill.  So I got the kids settled with Despicable Me on DVD, and got moving.



Since I read about Pam's race first, I decided to run hers first.  I ran a pretty easy pace, but kept changing up the inclines to keep it interesting while I channel surfed.  Here are the results:





 Then I cleared out the numbers, and got going on race number two.




This time around, I decided to change up my speed.  I found Places in the Heart on cable, and started watching that.  For all you LOST fans, I noticed John Locke is in this movie, he was about 26 years younger, with dark hair, and I almost didn't recognize him. 

Results for 5k number two:




I think it's interesting how I ran differently in each race, but I burned the same amount of calories.

I felt really good when I finished, and so far the headache has stayed away. 

Thanks Pam! Thanks Adam!

27 comments:

Suzy said...

Way to do two races in one day! You are off to a great 2011.

Katie said...

Nice!! 3 miles on the treadmill is pretty much my limit, I'm trying to work my up to more, but I always want to speed the pace up to much.

Great start to 2011!

ajh said...

I thought you were going to count your run for both races but you did it twice. That is very impressive. And you did negative splits!

Iron Mike said...

Great job Molly!
And I personally enjoyed your detailed description of your "nasty headache."

Glad your kids are watching Despicable Me, too. That's where we learned the word, "lame." A word that is spoken pretty often around the house now.

Michelle said...

Nice start to the year!! I don't know how you found the motivation to do that second 5k - 3 miles is the most I can handle on a treadmill!

Unknown said...

Great job on the treadmill. I ignore calories burned. On Daily Mile, I burn next to nothing on the same distance a male will do - who burns almost twice as much and runs slower. It just ends up annoying me.
Great job on the negative splits.

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

Look at you showing off doing it as two separate races! lol Thanks, Molly!

Julie @ HotlegsRunner said...

woah!!! solid runs there!

Laurie said...

Wow, great job on negative splitting your 5Ks! Awesome!

Allie said...

Interesting fact I read in Runner's World: running 1 mile or walking 1 mile burns the same amount of calories, running just means you will burn more calories an hour than walking. I haven't looked it up anywhere else to verify it but Runner's World seems like a pretty reliable source.
Nice runs!

Jill said...

Double 5K's??? That definitely deserves a big award. At least double lunches! :) Nice job, Chica! I did mine on the TM today, too...and I too had a HA. Wow!!

Caratunk Girl said...

Hey way to go! That is awesome.

Tortuga_Runner said...

Fantastic. I need to get me a treadmill so I can burn me some indoor calories.

A Prelude To... said...

Doubles?! That's fantastic. For some reason I didn't know about Pam's virtual race :-(

Great job on your runS!

Christina said...

I would have cheated and applied the one run to both races.

misszippy said...

You go double girl! Way to go.

J said...

Great job on the TWO virtual races! I probably would have just run one 5k and used it for both!

Unknown said...

Great job - two races in one day... you go girl!

The Green Girl said...

Wow, congratulations on the double virtual race action!

Anonymous said...

I have found that Excedrin Migraine is the only thing that works for me when I get my super headaches. It has been a lifesaver!

Runners Fuel said...

2 races in one day! You did an awesome job!

Teamarcia said...

Wow double the races double the fun right? Great job! Glad the headache is gone.

Tara said...

Well....look at you GO! Two races in one day! I think Adam definitely needs to send you one of his washer medals.

Erika said...

Awesome work on your double races!!

Amy said...

Nice job!

Regarding the calories: The number is the amount of energy needed to move your body weight the given distance. As long as you weigh the same, you will always burn the same number of calories when you go 5K no matter how fast you go. If you lose weight, and go the same distance, it will take less calories. If you go faster, it feels like you are working harder, and should be burning more calories, but you're working for less time, so you don't!

Terri said...

That is awesome - two virtual races in one day! :) Good for you. I, too, think you need a medal!

The Boring Runner said...

Sorry I'm just now commenting on this....

Great job! it is like you were killing two birds with one stone. That is.....if you liked to kill birds..... hmmmm