Monday, February 1, 2010

accountability time




January went by so fast. I like how February first is a Monday, which I always think is the real start of the week. Day one of a new month, with a new set of goals.

I'm behind on my 1,000 miles in 2010 challenge. To be fair, I planned on keeping my runs to one or two a week, so I could really focus on other parts of my bod. Plus I got sick. I logged 31 miles, but I have gotten better at planks, and I can do the Sun Salutation pose like a champ. It's weird how on some of the exercises on Wii Fit, I'm a four star rock star, but others I'm a one star fitness newbie. I'll keep at it this month, and run as often as I can, I have a 5k this Sunday, the Chilly Chili. Any race that ends in a chili cook off is my kind of run. I've got to try and get out for some cross coutry skiing too, I haven't gone yet this year. Oh, and ice skating never happened yesterday, we didn't have time to make it to open skate. So we settled for a walk at Beaver Lake instead, which was great.

On the food front, I lost two pounds, not five like I hoped, but hey it's still a loss. And I fell off the chocolate bandwagon a few times, those Newman's Organics are hard to resist (more on that later).

On the parenting front, all of a sudden Luke is asking us the "hard" questions. He's been curious about death, who dies, if kids die, and if he's going to die. The weird thing is I think it's coming from Michael Jackson of all places. Mike sat him down and was straight forward with him about it, but in a sensitive way. I guess it's better to be honest about it, while it's a lousy topic, I don't want him to be confused about it.

Then it was my turn. Yesterday Luke asked me "how the heck do babies get out of the mommy's belly anyway?" and I said "who wants cake?!"

19 comments:

Julie said...

Hi Molly,
Beautiful picture...your kids are super cute! I love your ski jacket too!! So, who wants cake? Ha ha! I remember when my kids asked me the same question:) Good luck on your 5k Sunday...I am sure you will do great!!

Mrs. M said...

Great change of subject there, mom!

2 pounds is a GREAT loss! :)

Brandi said...

Two pounds and 31 miles and all those other accomplishments are an awesome way to start. Have a great time at the 5k this weekend and good luck fielding those questions from your son!

Zoƫ said...

Cake is always a great diversion! :)

Heather said...

My boyfriend's daughter asked me I could "poop out a baby" for her. Right general idea but the details are hazy...

Anonymous said...

Great Jan totals! I love the answer to that question!!! haha

mudmama said...

We are going through this SO much! Have you seen the crazy things my kid has been saying about death and Michael Jackson? He is obsessed! And my last post is another death question too. I think I need to have some cake distractions around too! But then I def wouldn't be losing any weight! Congratz on your 2 lbs

yonca said...

Congrats on 2 pounds! I liked how you changed the subject.Cake is a good idea:)

Felice Devine said...

I'm so behind on my quest to 1000, too. Oh well -- its just month one! Congrats on the 2 lbs!

Suzy said...

Yay for 2 pounds! GL this weekend on your 5K.

Pining for Pinterest said...

Love the picture! My son has been doing the same thing! I tend to distract with a dessert too :-)

Jen Feeny said...

Don't look at it like you're behind, look at it as a challenge for Feb to get caught up!

RunToTheFinish said...

I started making roasted broccoli after your cauliflower post...too many days in a row my tummy hurts

ajh said...

Love the questions! Good diversion! Enjoy your 5K this weekend. I read a vampire series a long time ago but I am not coming up with the name. And I must say Stephen Kings - Was it Salem's Lot was great!

Organic Motherhood with Cool Whip said...

I'm with you on that one... "Who wants cake?" Congrats on logging 31 miles and the 2 pounds. I'm working on that too. I have a ways to go back to my pre-pregnancy days...but I am back at the gym again, so there is hope. But then, there is also always CAKE.

alpinekleins said...

Sounds like you're doing just great to me - slow and steady wins the race. When I try to overachieve it usually backfires on me. Good luck on the babies in the tummy thing - let him know his DAD will be answering THAT question :)

Kristin

Flory said...

I lost 2 pounds last month too - I was hoping for five as well. I was disappointed at first, but thanks for putting a different perspective on it.

"Who wants cake?" - nice save. :)

Liz Mays said...

Two pounds is still really great!!!!

Tara said...

Congrats on your two pounds! Two pounds is two pounds like you said.

That's such a hard question and sooo scary for little kids. I don't remember Madison ever asking me that, but I do remember the birds and the bees question. I had to drink two beers in order to get through that conversation! So embarrassing.....