Thursday, February 25, 2010

Breaking in some new kicks

My favorite sport of the Winter Olympics is figure skating, loved it as a kid, and I couldn't get enough of the Nancy Kerrigan/Tanya Harding scandal. We had a Nancy/Tanya party in college to watch them face off at the Olympics. I made Mike watch Ice Castles the other night, I found the DVD in Target and had to buy it. Classic '70's flick! So I'm pumped for the ladies long program tonight. Can I just ask what is up with Lindsay Vonn??? That chick is an injury magnet.

I bought new running shoes this week. Our Fleet Feet moved to a new, larger location, so Luke and I went on Tuesday morning to check it out. I've been wearing Asics GT 2140's for five years, I have a bone spur on my left foot so my podiatrist recommended the style to deal with that issue, and the resulting plantar fasciitis. It never occurred to me to get anything different, so every spring I buy the new model.

The first thing the saleswoman did was measure me, I'm a size ten and she said "Huh. Your left foot is almost a size eleven." Wha wha whaaaaa? Then she videotaped me running on the treadmill in my Asics. I know that I over pronate, but holy cow, watching that tape, my ankles are turned in so much, I don't know how my feet haven't snapped right off my legs.

I tried on a few shoes, and it came down to Mizuno's and Nike Zoom. I haven't worn Nike since high school, so I wasn't sure about them, but they ended up being the most comfortable, and kept my feet centered and stable. I also have much more room for my toes, when I compare the two shoes, I can't get over how narrow the Asics are in the toe.

To test them out, I've done two quick, two miles runs in the Nike's on the treadmill, and last night the inside of my lower leg was sore, but I think it's because I haven't used that muscle much, and now the new shoes are forcing it to be used. I'm dying to see how they feel outside, but like most of the East Coast, we're having a snowstorm, for the first time this year the schools are closed.

This Saturday is the last group training run before next weekend's Shamrock Run, and I feel good about the hills. I was told we're having a Guinness toast after......'tis the season!

19 comments:

Pining for Pinterest said...

YAY for new shoes and Guiness toasts :-)

Anonymous said...

I'll have to try out the Nike Zooms. I love my mizunos though!

Nicole @ Chic and Cheap Nursery said...

OMG! Me too! I always wanted to be a figure skater. But i grew up on a Caribbean island, no ice rink, and I am way too lazy!

I've never seen "Ice Castles" but I LOVED "The Cutting Edge" about the hockey player and the stuck up ice skater that become partners and fall in love!

And... YAY for new shoes!!!!

www.thewannabewahm.com

NY Wolve said...

The first time school is closed this year? We have had like 27 snow days. Ok maybe it is only 5, but I can't believe this is the first for you.

I run in Asics also. I have run in the 2130's, but the 2140's gave me blisters. (I also have Gel Kayanos.) I also like Brooks, and have tried the Trance and the Glycerin, and like them both. Good luck with the Nike's. I am supposed to be a Structure Triax in Nike -- I did same kind of video analysis and that is what Nike suggested, but I never bought them.

I can't profess any love for figure skating. Give me hockey!

Julie said...

Hi Molly,
Oh boy, I love the movie Ice Castles too!! I am a sucker for a good romantic comedy:)

Hey, I like it that NY Wolve commented before me...I just read his shoe bleep:) I run with Asics but am very tempted to try Brooks!! Enjoy your weekend training run..enjoy the Guiness:) Happy Thursday Molly!!

kristen said...

cheers to new shoes...I hope you love them more every day! Vonn - So. Over. Her.

The Diva on a Diet said...

We're big Olympic freaks in my house ... I think we've seen almost every minute of them this year. Really looking forward to the long program tonight too. Enjoy it!

Wow, I must say I'm impressed with the sophisticated sales techniques for running shoes ... video and everything!? I had no idea! I'm not a runner, but I do walk a LOT. I recently bought some Asics Gels for the first time and they're a huge disappointment. They're comfortable, but almost right away a hole ripped in the top of the left shoe. I've barely even worn them. Not happy at all!

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

Good luck with the new shoes! Hope they rock.

ajh said...

There was a skating movie I loved. It was the one with the sassy chick who ends up being a partner in the Olympics with the hockey dude! Do you know the one I mean?
Hope the new shoes work well.

Susan Fobes said...

Your husband actually watched it with you-to the end? What a guy! Good luck with the new shoes...

Erin Conley said...

I think I've got a problem similar to yours, but in my case, I think I bought shoes that are a bit too small. 8.5s were too loose on me, but the size 8 now seems too small. Wish there was a size in between! Good luck with your new sneakers and with your Shamrock Run. Any race that serves Guinness is a good race in my book!

karen@fitnessjourney said...

It sounds like you found a great store for purchasing your shoes. How interesting that they have the treadmill and videotaping available.

Jenny said...

How cool that they made a little film of your running. Good luck on your run!

Anonymous Fat Girl said...

I bought some Muzino's a month or so ago and I love them. There's nothing like a great pair of running shoes! :)

And I remember the Nancy Kerrigan/Tonya Harding deal back in the day. I love figure skating too! Such a beautiful sport.

J said...

I always buy asics and never really switch. I usually buy mens but have worn womens...so Im kind of nervous about getting new shoes...dont know if I should get womens or mens! I hope your new shoes work out for you!

Anonymous said...

I have never seen that movie and when I told that to my husband I thought he was going to die because even he has seen it! It is now on our Netflix queue!

Dee said...

I haven't seen that movie in forever! Stopping by from SITS.

Serenityville said...

Wow, for a minute I thought you'd been wearing the same PAIR of shoes for 5 years. I thought, "no wonder she has bone spurs! Somebody's gotta help this girl!"

Next point, I've always wondered why Tanya was allowed to compete again after that. Seriously, how is that possible??

Lastly, what about the cutting edge???

Unknown said...

Hi! I saw you on Mom Bloggers in the group for those looking for 200 followers. I see that you reached that goal already. Plus, you have me as a new one. Nice to meet you!