Thursday, February 11, 2010

Oh Erika, I've missed you


I realized after reading comments on my last post, that I didn't write what I thought about the Yak Trax! If you aren't familiar with them, they are made of stretchy rubber, with small metal coils that make a criss cross pattern on the bottom of your running shoe. The springs grip the snow as you run, and the day I went, there was enough snow for the springs to sink into, so I felt level as I ran. I didn't slip or fall once, and at one point I was aware of a patch of ice under my feet, but it wasn't an issue.

Later that night, there were parts of my feet that felt a bit sore, and when I woke up the next day my legs and left arch were tired. I think some of my muscles got more of a workout than others, while they dealt with having that weird surface under my feet.
Today I was in dire need of some stretching, so I got out my pulse yoga dvd. But then I decided to see if there was anything good on the Sportskool channel, and there was! My absolute favorite yoga for runners workout was listed, by Erika Schnicke. They change the classes pretty often, but I haven't found a yoga workout that I like as much as this one. It was great to go through the poses and see how much progress I've made. I do Standing Forward Bend when I stretch before and after a run, and I was psyched that I can put my forehead to my knees, just like Erika.
I've got a huge caffeine buzz right now, which is good because I need to clean my house before my family visits this weekend. I made a trip to Starbucks, which I don't do often, but I had to go to the bank and it just happens to be next door. I usually get a venti non-fat vanilla latte, but today I went for a skinny cinnamon dolce latte, sugar free with skim milk. The house is going to be sparkling.

14 comments:

Julie said...

Thank God for coffee and caffeine:) Have fun cleaning your house...you should be done in no time:)

Unknown said...

Congrats on the knees to the forehead (wow...I think that is the first time I've ever said that!)!!!

I'm always trying to find a reason (excuse) for a latte...I'm so addicted.

I also ran part of your route today--the path from isle of pines...I forgot about those little hills. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I'd heard of Yak Trax but had never heard what their actual description and use. Thanks for the info. Normally, our area doesn't get enough snow that it would be something to purchase. But yesterday, as I headed to the treadmill for the umpteenth time over the past couple of weeks, I sure would've like to have had some. Way to go on the yoga!

yonca said...

The latte sounds good.I have no plan to do anything today.Schools are closed,my so is home:)

Anonymous said...

OK, my real name is Erika with that spelling so when I saw your post title I thought, "how does she know and why does she miss me!" There are so few Erika's with that spelling!

Susan Fobes said...

Thanks for the info on the trax. Now as for the yoga poses-sounds painful to me. Congrats if you can do thses-I am very impressed!

Nicole said...

oooo that sounds great!! a run and then a yoga class, what would be more perfect than that!? During yoga school I would put my head all the way to my knees but now, even with teaching, I'm sad to say I've gotten alittle rusty! I'm doing a yoga class at Nola Studios next Thursday -http://thereallifetravels.blogspot.com/2010/02/best-part-of-yoga-is-that-afterwards.html if you were closer, you could come!! good luck with your visitors!!:)

Tricia said...

Hey, thanks for the sweet comment. The jeans were a clearanced Kohls item. I'm pretty sure I paid $8 for them. Score. :)

And don't think I forgot about you. I just need to proof read my answers, you'll have them tomorrow.

Nicole @ Chic and Cheap Nursery said...

I heart non-fat vanilla lattes!!!
And good luck with the family visiting this weekend.

www.thewannabewahm.com

Liz Mays said...

So if I up my caffeine intake, you're telling me that my house will glisten and sparkle???

JenLo said...

skinny cinnamon dolce is exactly MY drink! And I had one today too ;)

I noticed with the yaktrax that it squished the toe of my shoe a bit and I had a small sore spot on my toe. But they worked fantastic, and I would quickly get used to the different feeling if I used them much. I also noticed my legs tiring more quickly during my run, but it was tolerable.

alpinekleins said...

Yes, I also LOVE yaktrax! Don't they make the cutest footprints in the snow. And they are awesome, you can climb mountains, hills and almost everything in them. I better turn up the music a little louder, I have much to clean around here also:)

Kristin

ajh said...

Both those Starbuck drinks sound wonderful! I have Starbucks envy. There are none near me - which is probably a good thing. But at least they are in VT unlike Target!

Lori P said...

Hope you enjoyed the coffee and cleaned like a wild woman. Happy SITS Saturday! Nice to meet ya.