Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Newman's Own Organics, Take One


When I received the package from Newman's Own Organics to do a review, Mike said "oh it's organic, so we can eat all we want, right?" I reminded him that we're trying to be about "balance" in our diet, including snacks, so this was a great area to start.

I wrote a bit about Newman's Own in an earlier post, they are about "great tasting food that happens to be organic", products we loved as kids, but better. Everything they use in their line is organic, including Palm Fruit Oil, which has no trans fats, is not hydrogenated, and is used in Europe as an alternative to partially hydrogenated oils. If you aren't familiar with hydrogenated oils, they are added to processed foods to prolong their shelf life. They cause a myriad of problems to health, and have been called the "silent killer" because it damages the body over time.
Let's get to the good stuff, I'll start with the organic mints, which includes peppermint, wintergreen, cinnamon, and ginger flavors, in rolls, and tins. Mike brought some to a business meeting to see what people would say (he didn't mention my blog review), and I passed some around to the crew when we saw Wicked. We noticed right off that there was no chemical taste, it was a pure, sweet flavor. The cinnamon had a nice heat, and the ginger was actually spicy! The roll candy did not have a hole in the middle, but they didn't last very long once you popped them in your mouth. The tin mints on the other hand were interesting, they had a rough surface, unlike other tin mints, which made me think that they weren't as processed, which is a good thing. Overall, thumbs up on the mints.


Now onto the cookies, oh the cookies made us happy: first up, Newman -O's sandwich cookies, in ginger/cream and chocolate/chocolate cream. The ginger cookies were crisp, like ginger snaps, and the cream was really creamy. I loved the chocolate chocolate, it reminded me of dessert. Again, there was no chemical taste, unlike other sandwich cookies, which to me have a kind of waxy texture to their cream.

Next, we tried Hermits, soft cookies made with raisins and molasses, in cinnamon, and ginger. I have to say I was surprised at the variety of ginger cookies in the line, I don't often see ginger as a main ingredient in other brands. These reminded me of oatmeal bars, soft, with crystallized sugar sprinkled on top. Both had a nice smell, although I preferred the cinnamon, as did Eliza.



Last up for cookies (although I have more cookies to write about in my next post) were Champion Chip Cookies, in chocolate chip, and chocolate chocolate chip. They came in a bag, and I liked how they had a tape on the package, so you could reseal after opening. These cookies are on the small side, Mike thought they tasted like his Aunt's cookies, and that's saying something. The chocolate chips were the best part, I thought the cookies could use a few more of those. The chocolate chocolate cookies were a bit dry, but still had a great chocolate flavor.
I'll switch gears to one more product for this post, the Soy Crisps, in Lightly Salted, and Barbecue. I'm not a fan of rice cakes, they don't fill me up, so I don't see the point. But these crisps are made from rice and soy, and have seven grams of protein in a serving. They were surprisingly filling, I've been snacking on them in that hungry time between feeding the kids and having my dinner with Mike. I liked the Lightly Salted better, the BBQ flavor was a little sweet.

So far, I'm really happy with the Newman's Own Organics. I honestly can say that everything has a cleaner taste, you can tell the ingredients are a high quality. Stay tuned for part two of my Newman's review, where I tackle dried fruit, pretzels, more cookies, and.....I don't think I can stand it, their line of organic chocolate bars.

24 comments:

Katie said...

Yum- those all sound so delicious!

Pining for Pinterest said...

Those look wonderful! Great review :-) I have not tried any of those yet but I will have to keep an eye out next time I am at the store!

Mark said...

uh, did you say the chocolate chocolate cookies reminded you of dessert? And they weren't actually dessert because....? :-)

The Diva on a Diet said...

I'm a fan of the Newman's Own line as well ... though I didn't know about the mints. I'm going to look out for them, since I'm kind of a mint freak. The ginger cream cookies rock!

Julie said...

Hi Molly,
Thanks for the review on Newman's products:) I love reviews and really take to heart what people say. I like things with a cleaner taste and stellar ingredients so that being said....must go shopping:)

yonca said...

Can I have all of them? Another mint freak here:)
I love everything with mint.My son loves Newman's Own alphabet cookies.

Zoƫ said...

Oh goodness. So delicious! Great review! And I'm with yonca, I love mint a lot too. (Plus, Paul Newman was a fave of mine)

Christina said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! :) We're huge fans of Newman's Own, too! Since the products are made w/ wholesome ingredients most of them don't contain whey - a filler.

Molly said...

OK, now I'm craving cookies :) Thanks for the review!

Tara said...

I've seen the Newman's brand at the store that I shop at, but I've never picked any up. Thanks for the review. I might try the cookies now (especially the chocolate chip ones that your husband said tasted like his aunt's cookies)!

Mrs. M said...

I really like their cookies too. And their pasta sauce is yummy!.

ajh said...

I might have to try those ginger creme. Your family must have loved this package coming.

Nicole @ Chic and Cheap Nursery said...

I have to keep reminding my husband that organic doesn't mean fat free.

He sees organic on the label and thinks it's a free for all!

www.thewannabewahm.com

alpinekleins said...

Newmans have always been some of my favorite dressings! Makes for great salads!

Kristin

Debbie said...

I've always loved Newmans products! Great review.

Nicole said...

oooo I love organic stuff and organic cookies is AWESOME!!! thanks for the info, I'll be looking out for these!

Mandee said...

Yummy! They sound great! I really must try these! :)

Tricia said...

Great review, I love the NOO products! Well...except for the hermits. :)

Tricia said...

Oh and I totally forgot why I stopped by. Just checking in to see how your mileage challenge is going. Don't forget to keep your miles updated on the club spreadsheet!

Melissa B. said...

I buy a lot of Newman's Own products. Did you know they even make cat food? I loved the actor, I'm a big supporter of the company, and I love their message/mission.

Pink Sugar Cookies and Snow Angels

Michal said...

Thanks for the product reviews!

CamelsNDragons said...

Thanks for your recent visit to my blog and your comment. I really appreciate them! Newman's Own makes a great fig/fruit newton that I keep meaning to add to our snack options.
Have a great week

mymommymakesit.
making toys from recycled items to save my sanity and the planet

Brad said...

Cool thanks for the info I'll have to try them.

Lisa said...

I knew they had a lot of products, but no idea they have THIS many! Great reviews!