Friday, February 12, 2010

crock pot love


I have family coming to town this week. I'm excited to see them, but I automatically start thinking of what we're going to eat. I tend to plan our activities around food. My sis and brother in law love Mexican, so tomorrow I'm making enchilada's and Sunday we'll barbeque something. My sis lives in an apartment, so she likes to take advantage of our grill while she's here. My Mom will arrive after they leave, we've made reservations for dinner on Fat Tuesday, steaks all around.
I can't believe Ash Wednesday is upon us. I haven't given much thought to what I'm giving up this year for Lent. Usually it's chocolate, although one year I gave up beer, which was particularly difficult on St. Patrick's Day. My Mom gives up listening to the radio, hmmm, maybe I should give up the ipod for my outdoor runs, since it turns off anyway!
My sister recently bought a crock pot, so while she's here I'm going to give her some recipes for it. I remembered I made beef stew a few weeks ago, I ate it for four meals in a row. It's a cross between Ina Garten's Beef Bourguignon, and Tyler Florence's Ultimate Stew. Speaking of Bourg, I finally saw Julie and Julia last weekend, and loved it. The Julie segments take place in Long Island City, which kept reminding me of Astoria.
Here is the beef stew recipe, it's better the next day, which gives you a chance to skim off any fat that had accumulated overnight:
one bottle of burgundy wine
3 pounds of beef chuck, cut in cubes
one pound of carrots, cut in half, then into chunks
two large vidalia onion, cut into quarters
1 1/2 pounds mushrooms, sliced
8 potato's, peeled and cut into quarters
6 cloves of garlic, smashed
2 1/2 cups beef broth
2 bay leaves
1 tsp fresh thyme
2 cups flour
olive oil
kosher salt
butter
ground pepper
Pat the beef with a paper towel, season it with salt and pepper, then toss in the flour to coat.
Shake off the excess in a strainer, so that it's lightly coated.
In a large pan, heat 1/4 cup olive oil, and 3 tablespoons of butter, add the beef in small batches to brown, then set the beef inside a heavy stockpot or crock pot.
De glaze the pan with about a cup of wine, then scrape up all the beef bits. Add a tablespoon of salt, 2 teaspoons of pepper, the carrots, garlic, and onion, stir and cook about 8 minutes.
Add this to the beef, along with the rest of the wine, beef stock, bay leaf, thyme, potato and mushrooms.
Bring to a boil, cover, set to simmer for 2 - 3 hours until vegetables are tender. Get a hunk of bread and dive in.

16 comments:

The Diva on a Diet said...

I'll have family in town this weekend too ... but we're going out to dinner and maybe lunch too! LOL

Your stew looks incredible and the rest of the menu sounds awesome too. Have a great weekend with your family!

Regarding giving up the beer and St. Patrick's Day ... amongst NYC Catholics, there's the feeling that St. Paddy's day is a free day - on which one need not observe the strictures of Lent. I don't know how "legal" it is ... but I know plenty of people who operate this way! LOL

Susan Fobes said...

Molly, why does your food pictures always speak to me? They say, "Make me," and "Aren't you hungry now even though you just ate?" LOL! Looks good!

Anonymous said...

I'm coming over for enchiladas!

Mandee said...

Yummy! Now I'm hungry! Being pregnant I'm thinking reading your blog isn't always such a good idea for me...ha ha!

Have fun with your family. I didn't realize lent was that close either...wow! I'm going to have to change my meal plans up a bit.

Lisa said...

my mom is coming next weekend for a girls weekend. Since we live in NYC, whenever anyone comes to visit we definitely plan around meals too - well, more accurately, restaurants. It's ridiculous how many hours I spend on it.

Have fun!

Julie said...

Hi Molly,
I saw the Julie and Julia movie when it first came out on DVD and I almost ran out to purchase the cook book ASAP!! I really wanted to make the Beef Bourguignon so bad!! This is excellent..your post:) Thank you so much and the picture is awesome!! Have a great time with your family:)

Michal said...

I saw julie and julia the other day and I loved it! It was such a good movie :)

ajh said...

I love my crock pot. I mostly use it for a couple of different chili recipes. There is nothing like coming home to a supper that is already made.

alpinekleins said...

The stew sounds wonderful, perfect for this wintry weather we're still experiencing. I have really got to see Julia & Julia, I think I'm heading off to blockbuster this minute while i'm thinking about it . . .

Kristin

Katie said...

Crock pots are amazing! That beef stew looks pretty good, too. :)

Amo said...

I will have to make this stew when I don't have all day morning sickness anymore. I usually love beef stew, but right now the idea of it is making me sick to my stomach! I read the book Julie and Julia, but still haven't seen the movie. Gotta do that!

Tara said...

Hey Molly! Just trying to get caught up on all of my blog reading...it's been a long week.

You gave up beer for lent? How DID you do it? I could never! :)

I'm glad you like your new Yak Traks; I haven't worn mine yet. I should have worn them today, but I didn't realize the trail was so bad. I look forward to checking them out!

Anonymous said...

That looks so good...especially with all the cold and snow here. I think I'll try it soon.

Oh, didn't you love Julie and Julia?

Nicole @ Chic and Cheap Nursery said...

Happy Valentine's Molly!
Just stopping by to see how your weekend with the family has been going =)

www.thewannabewahm.com

kristen said...

Yumm. My Hubby and I were just talking about making beef stew. Maybe we'll try this (except for the wine - he wouldn't go for that). I remember jacki Warner. I totally wish she would do another season!

Unknown said...

Yummy recipe Molly. Thinking about what to feed family when they visit is usuallythe first thing on my mind also. I'm gonna share your recipe on facebook and twitter, so I can spread a little crock pot love....