Sunday, January 31, 2010

The boy did good



Today is my actual birthday. It's been a really nice weekend, although verrrrry cold. Yesterday I planned on running with the Lake Effect group, but I woke up and it was -4 degrees. I'll run in the cold, but not that kind of cold, I don't have the gear for it. I dug out an Under Armour sweatshirt that was a cast off from my 12 year old nephew, but that wasn't going to cut it, even though it fit. So I got on the treadmill and banged out seven miles while flipping between Groundhog Day and How Stella Got Her Groove Back.
Out sitter was here by six o'clock, so Mike and I headed out for dinner and drinks. We started at bc, where they make a great dirty martini, with bleu cheese stuffed olives. Then we walked down the street in the sub zero temps to Bistro Elephant. I had never been, but it's a bright space, and there were two musicians playing funky tunes. The tables were close together, and I'm the type of person who wants to join in other people's conversations if I hear something interesting, but I don't actually do it. At the table to our right there was a huge guy and his girlfriend, he looked like he could play football for SU, which he very well may have, the way the staff was fawning all over him.

To start we had a Thai Beef Salad, with onions, tomato, cilantro, and mint, and shared a spicy tuna and asparagus roll. It had crispy panko on the outside, it was a large roll, but sliced thin, which was a nice change from the usual thick sushi pieces. Mike had the crispy duck for dinner, and I had a lovely bacon wrapped cod, over a tomato saffron broth. No room for dessert! Mike did make me my favorite cake, yellow Duncan Hines with chocolate frosting, and it has to be cold, from the fridge. For good measure he also bought a Pepperidge Farm chocolate, chocolate cake, because I said the other day how much I loved them when I was a kid.

This morning I slept in, and the kids pounced on me as soon as I came downstairs, begging me to open my presents. Mike did a great job this year, I opened up a gift card to Fleet Feet for new running shoes, a medicine ball and resistance band. I guess he was listening when I said I'm working on my core and toning. I also received the new pj's I requested, as well as new running shorts.

The sun is shining, and we're going to head out and take the kids ice skating. This will be a first, so we might be home after 5 minutes. In any case, there's a fire in the fireplace, I have a good book, my telephone, my family, and the Grammy's are on tonight. All in all, it's already a great day.

24 comments:

Unknown said...

Your dinner sounded rather lovely!!
Stopping by from SITS , Happy Birthday!!! Hope you have a lovely day!! :)

G said...

omg I can NOT fathom running in that kind of cold. like evernevernever

ch said...

It sounds like you're having a wonderful birthday!!
Here's to a great year ahead!!
Happy Birthday!
Cindy

Julie said...

Hi Molly,
I love the movie Groundhog Day...it never gets old:) Have a good one!!

yonca said...

Have a WONDERFUL Birthday! Hope you all enjoy ice skating!We changed our plans and decided to stay home for this weekend. It is SO cold :D

Brandi said...

Happy Birthday!!
Nothing like a warm fireplace on a cold day.

ajh said...

What a guy- two cakes! And I'm with you on it being cold. So many things taste better cold or even frozen! Hope your good day continued.

ajh said...

I meant to ask because I always like to know what people are reading....what is the good book?

Xenia said...

Sounds like you had a great time already and fun I'm-a-healthy-person gifts... Happy birthday! :)

Anne - Mommy Has to Work said...

Happy Birthday - It's my birthday too!!

J said...

Happy Birthday! I planned on running outside today but it was super cold here too!!

Lois B said...

Happy birthday; sounds like a great celebration!

Janie B said...

Love it! Happy Birthday!

Joey Lynn Resciniti said...

Happy Birthday! I don't think it's safe to breath when it's that cold!

Nicole @ Chic and Cheap Nursery said...

Happy Birthday Molly!!! Sounds like you had a wonderful birthday!

Zoƫ said...

What a wonderful day! Happy Birthday, Molly! :)

Michal said...

Happy birthday! It sounds like you are having a wonerful day :)

Kmama said...

Stopping by from SITS!

Happy Birthday. Sounds like you had a great day!

glenna said...

Sounds like you had a great Birthday!! That meal sounded heavenly!

SPEAKING FROM THE CRIB said...

what a great bday - wanted to let you know i am running my FIRST 5K on sunday and i am very excited to see how well i will do. we've been running 2 miles and 2.5 miles alternately and doing okay. we're not FAST - like a 13 min mile - but we're RUNNING so it is a start

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I'm late...belated Happy Birthday to you! Blue cheese stuffed olives? I didn't need to read much further than that to drool. Sounds like a great birthday!

Tara said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend. How can it go wrong when you start it out with a run?!?!

The Bistro Elephant looks like a cool little restaurant. I always like trying new places. I'm so glad you had a great birthday. Now get busy on those abs and post some pics! :)

RunToTheFinish said...

Happy birthday!!!

Pining for Pinterest said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I hope that you had a great one!