Friday, February 5, 2010

change happens


We're up a bit earlier than usual today, and it's giving me an idea of what my mornings will be like next year. Luke goes to kindergarten in the afternoon, we're probably the last school district in the county that doesn't have full day yet. Today the school is having an outdoor winter Olympics, games in the snow, so he's going in the morning with everyone else. Sounds like fun to me, I want to go play games!

I'm winding up the week with mixed feelings. On the running front, I'm doing well so far for February, I've logged seven miles, and I plan to run on the treadmill after I post this. I have a six mile run planned for Saturday with the running group, and on Sunday I have a 5K. So I'm on my way to making up for miles lost in January.

I found out this week that my Mom is putting her house on the market after living there for 32 years. Yes, the haunted house. My siblings and I are bummed, it's the house where everything has happened for us, and now its time for a big change. My mom is looking at a condo in a 55+ community, which is what she needs, she's alone quite a bit. But I'm so sad to say goodbye to where I grew up, when we moved upstate, I always knew I could go back to visit, get my dose of NYC and the beach. I knew the sale would happen eventually, so I'm going to let myself be a bit sad, but also know that it's best for my Mom.

This is a photo of Eliza getting ready for beach day at school, note the snow outside the window. I love it when they have theme days at school, I'm already looking forward to being the room mom for St. Patrick's Day!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love theme days too at school. Our district has a choice of 1/2 or full days, but I like the 1/2 day for the little ones. They are in school enough :-)

Pining for Pinterest said...

That looks like such a fun day!!! I want to play games too :-) I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Julie said...

Hi Molly,
You little girl is a doll:) I remember when my daughter was in elementary school there was PJ day, crazy hat day, crazy hair day, sports fan day and yes a tropical island day!! It is alot of fun for the kids.

I know how you feel about your mother selling her house. I felt the same way when my grandparent's sold their home. I spent so much time with them growing up and hold so many good memories close to my heart. I was so bummed when their house sold to strangers:( It will be okay and hopefully the new owners will take care of the house and love it as much as you do!! Have a wonderful weekend Molly!!

Nicole @ Chic and Cheap Nursery said...

Saying goodbye to your childhood home is always sad. You guys should plan something fun, like a pajama party with all of your siblings and share stories about the house as a farewell.

And Eliza looks too cute!

ps. Remind your mom not to mention anything about the ghosts to potential buyers. Unless they look like they're into that kinds stuff :P

www.thewannabewahm.com

Manderz said...

Your daughter is adorable!

yonca said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you have to say goodbye to your childhood house. Of course it is not easy for you and your mom.
Love the pic! Looks like she is so ready to summer:)

J said...

Very cute! I used to love Beach Day in winter! Too bad people would think i was weird if I tried to have beach day here at work! hope you have a good weekend!

Anonymous said...

I like the theme days too. Wish our school/school district allowed for fun things like that more often. Especially for the little ones.

Suzy said...

GL this weekend on your 5K. We also have half day for K...which I'm currently loving.

Janie B said...

What a cutie! Kindergarten is just the best. The K teachers at our school have t-shirts that say, "Kingergarten is just different." Ha! Boy, is it ever!

Mrs. M said...

Love her outfit!

My mom just bought a new house too. No ghosts.

Susan Fobes said...

Her shoes definately make her outfit!
You can be sad-objects and memories go hand in hand, but I do hope this is an exciting time for your mom...

ajh said...

What a cutie she is! Such a great smile! Good luck in your race!

Theta Mom said...

She's such a cutie!

kristen said...

Happy Belated birthday. I can't belive you cried on your 30th! Sounds like you've had some very memorable birthdays! I would have cried on my 21st if I had to walk home in a snowstorm like that. Jeez, you would think the bouncer could spot a fake one, but think a REAL one is fake. Douchebag!

I have a twitter account, but havn't used it since I set it up....maybe now that I have an iPhone.....

Thats an adorable picture of your daughter!

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

what a gorgeous little girl you have, good luck with the running!
I feel you about the house, but it's probably for your mom's best :)
stopping by from SITS, was great reading you! Happy Saturday SITS Sharefest then!

Confessions From A Work-At-Home Mom said...

I went to half-day school in Kindergarten; I believe my hometown still has that policy. But I think where we live now, it's full day!

~Elizabeth
Confessions From A Working Mom

Flory said...

Theme day at school is a great idea. Love the picture, and so does my little girl. :)

Anonymous said...

Touching post.

Tara said...

EEEK! Just go stand outside her house and mention some of the stories that you have told us and no one will ever buy it! JK. I'm sure that it will be great for your mom to be in a 55+ community and meet new people (and easier on her too).

I LOVE that outfit! Too cute! :)