Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Open Calendar

It's very weird to me that I don't have any significant races on my schedule for 2012.

The past two years I've run marathons, races of smaller distances, and a triathlon.  Aside from my half marathon last week, I have a 5k coming up in June, and the Boilermaker 15k in July.

And that's it.

It's sort of freeing not to be held to a training schedule, and any race anxiety I might have had is non-existent.  But at the same time, I'm starting to feel lame.  I need to find something to train for, but I think I need a break from doing a full marathon this year, which means the half distance.  Which could be:


Wineglass Half Marathon : this marathon/half takes place in Corning, NY in September. It's a flat course and you get a wine glass. Wine. Yum.

Empire State Half Marathon: this was a new race last year here in Syracuse, I know several people who ran it, and I'm familiar with the course, which is good because there would be no surprises, but it could get boring. It takes place in October.

The Diva's Half Marathon: this takes place on Long Island in October, I could stay with my brother or friends for this one, and it looks like a lot of fun!

The Leaf Peeper Half: this takes place in Cortland, where I went to college, and I could find plenty of places to celebrate post race. Once again, it's in October.

Not sure about any tri's this year, IronGirl takes place on Mike's 40th birthday so I didn't register for it, I figured the day should be about him.  Our pool opens around Memorial Day, and I am REALLY looking forward to getting back in the water.

It's nice to have options.  

I'm crossing my fingers for everyone who entered the NYC Lottery!  Good Luck!!!


12 comments:

fancy nancy said...

I always feel unsettled if I'm not training. However after my half on Memorial Day I am done for my long races until after baby! I'm not sure....I may register for one just to keep me going!

Teamarcia said...

I think there are pros and cons both ways. Sometimes I love having a big goal race on the horizon and sometimes down time is great. It ebbs and flows, just like everything else.

Christi said...

Do races that are going to be fun for you!

Johann said...

I have races planned for the next 7 years! Having said that, the first half of this year has been my lowest racing months in many years and it's been good.

Darlene said...

All those races look inviting. The Hudson-Mohawk is a nice flat one too.

Lisa said...

Hey girl -
I'd LOVE to do the Diva next year (jus' sayin').

I saw that Leaf Peeper race as I was looking at possibly doing some fall halfs . . . hmmmm!

It is freeing to not have the pressure. It reminds us how fun running can be.

Shannon said...

The only "training" I've ever done is when I started in January on the Couch25k program! :)

Now I'm just running between 5-15 miles per week.

I do want to be able to run a 10k so maybe I need to set myself on a training plan for that. :)

Shannon
http://www.everystepcounts365.wordpress.com

J said...

I have heard good things about Wineglass and Empire state. Did you go to Cortland for college? Thats where my parents went!

Jill said...

Maybe you could do them all in the fall! :) I'm kinda an overachiever though.

Black Knight said...

I am sure you will find other races.
However you could run all of them.
Only one glass of wine? Just today I got a whole bottle of wine and not only....

Nicki said...

I am thinking of running the Wineglass Half. I ran the full last year. Run it, Molly!!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

You need MORE triathlons.... just saying