Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Dear 16 Year Old Me






I had signed up for the WEGO Health Activist Writer's Challenge for the month of April, each day they choose a topic to blog about, then you link up with others who are passionate about healthy living.  I dropped the ball on the challenge last week, but I figured it's not too late to start!

Day 10's topic is "Dear 16 Year Old Me"

I was about as typical of a 16 year old as you could get. I had a close circle of friends, rode my bike, played tennis and field hockey, went to the movies and the beach, and babysat as often as I could.  I was happy, and had my whole life planned out.

Twenty four years later, I'm happy with my life and the paths I chose, sure I made mistakes along the way, and I have a few regrets.   But if I had to tell my 16 year old self five things, this is what they would be:

1.  Since I recently went shopping for a new bathing suit, I would say "Enjoy that two piece!  You have nothing to hide, you look fantastic, wear it with pride."

2.  There are going to be low points in your life. Be strong, and try to stay on a healthy path during those times. Ice cream or wine help for an hour or two, but if you keep it up, you're going to have to buy a pair of fat pants.

3. Don't be afraid to stray from your carefully laid plans.  Embrace adventure, and think outside of the box in all areas of your life.

4. Keep using the sunscreen, but with all the time you'll spend outside, start using a good eye cream. Every. Single. Day.

5. Yes, you can trust in your close friendships.  You will indeed have them for life.


So what would you tell your 16 year old self??? 

If you want to join in the blogging fun, check out the WEGO Health Blog here.

12 comments:

misszippy said...

This is a great post. I love your advice to embrace adventure--so hard for a 16-yr. old to do, but so worthwhile.

And you are such a young-looking lady, you must have followed that eye cream advice from back then!

Heidi @BananaBuzzbomb said...

I love these posts. I wonder how far we'd be if we knew then what we know now...but then again, I guess that's part of life!

Lisa said...

Wow Molly - that's a great post . .. .you should save it and share it with your daughter one day! I really wish I would have read it earlier in life!

Christi said...

I would tell my 16 year old self to quit being such a damn wuss and go out for track and tennis!

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

This post reminded me of a song I haven't thought about in years! Do you remember Baz Luhrmann's song called Everybody's Free? Go you tube it now if you don't know it!

Anonymous said...

Great advice to any 16 year old! I would tell myself to not be so hard on herself. And relax.

Laima said...

Love your advice. 16 can be such a difficult time - I think I would add - don't worry about what everyone else is doing/thinking...

Teamarcia said...

Love this! I've yet to get on the Wego wagon. I'd tell myself to not date such a loser.

TriMOEngr said...

I would tell myself that there are so many years to be a grown up - don't be in such a damn hurry to get there.

Johann said...

Awesome post Molly! I would tell my 16 year old self to "always go with your gut feel" and "never hesitate to jump in 100%".

Unknown said...

This is a great post Molly! :)

I would tell my 16 year old self to enjoy the moment. I was always wanting to be at the next stage in life and life was really so simple back then! :)

Ara said...

Great post! I'll have to think about this & possibly make a blogpost myself. They always say hindsite is 20/20, there's probably a MILLION things I'd love to tell my 16 yr old me.