Monday, February 6, 2012

Post #499


You know how on New Years Day you feel like it's a fresh start, and all your resolutions are in place?  I feel like today is my New Years Day.  I've had a few false starts, finding the motivation to run, and to eat well....but I think I've been eating too well.

I've been looking at life in terms of Before the NYC Marathon, and After the Marathon.  Sometimes I forget that I ran it, because my father in law had such a terrible stroke shortly thereafter.  Every day brings something different, it's been an emotional roller coaster.  We got through Thanksgiving and Christmas, then escaped to Florida, and then I turned 40.  The kids have schoolwork, cub scouts and dance, we've had a steady stream of house guests for the past three weeks. I haven't been running a much as I should have, and my jeans have gotten tighter.

So as we all yelled at the television last night in excitement (GIANTS!!!!!!!!!!), I decided that this Monday morning I would truly get back on track. I broke out my notebook, I'm starting a food journal (so far I've written down Kashi Go Lean cereal and coffee), and since it's going to be 50 degrees today, I'm taking Frank for a run this afternoon.

Right now my tight jeans are the fuel for my fire, but I'm curious, how do you motivate yourself out of a slump?

16 comments:

fancy nancy said...

You certainly have had a lot going on! I would say tight clothes or pictures snap me out of slumps. They are tangible things that remind me of my choices. I usually sign up for a challenge or something to keep me motivated! Good luck!! You'll get there....congrats on the Giants even though it hurts!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

For me personally, I have learned there is no magic way out of a slump, you have to just keep moving forward and work your way through it. Before you know it, your back on track

Emz said...

Love this post.
I'm with BDD for sure. Always moving ahead.
Ya consumed way too much yesterday....let's do this Monday!!

Michelle said...

I set little goals for myself to get going again...but mostly I try to take it a day at a time.

As much as it pains me to say it - congrats on your Giants ;)

Christi said...

That's funny that you ask how you motivate yourself because that is exactly what my post is about today. Check it out!

Congrats on the Giants win! I was rooting for them also since my Steelers did not make it!

Anonymous said...

Slumps are ok. They are motivating once you want out. They give you a little break from the madness trianing can bring. Winter is the best time for a slup of course. But once you realize you want out - you feel like a slothish p.o.s.

We've been having weather in the 50's for the last couple of days! So nice! Have a good run!

Unknown said...

I use the fake it until I make it motivation. Just keep going until it feels natural again. I am slowly working out of a slump right now.

J said...

i agree - I don't think there is any real way to get out of a slump except to just keep going and also listen to your body. Tight clothes is always a motivator for me - basically every Sunday I say I am starting over on Monday!

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

The scale. Does it for me every time.

misszippy said...

Good for you! There's never a wrong time to get motivated and moving. I never have an issue w/ workout motivation, honestly. But I do need to be more careful about the quantities of food going into my mouth, even though it's good quality stuff. Knowing I have races coming up where a bit less weight would help motivates me!

Susan said...

Way to go! Oh, it's so hard to get out of a slump. I've been in a funk lately and have been doing some yoga and that seems to help..... I start the day out all relaxed and get my daily prayers in, it has really helped. Not sure I'm out of my funk, but it's helping.

Jill said...

I think slumps occur to everyone at one time or another....maybe it's the running God's way to telling us our body needs a break and let it reset! You'll get back at it when the time is right...I know it will be soon!

ajh said...

I have to be ready and I just kind of know when I am. If it isn't time I try to accept it knowing it will happen. Don't know if that helps but I hear you on those tight jeans.

Amy said...

I wish I knew the magic recipe for getting out of a slump, but I don't. In the past year, I think I've spent more time in slumps than out of them! I do know there's no day to start like today, and if you can buy into that, you're well on your way! Hope you had a good run with Frank!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

Girl, I'm totally writing a post on this too---twinners!

man, how do I get out of my slump...usually its someone (like Coach) telling me the truth and believing in me to jump start my journey.

Lisa said...

G.I.A.N.T.S! Y.E.S.! WOOOO HOOOOO!

I've been using myfitnesspal.com for the past month and it's REALLY been way more beneficial than I ever imagined food journaling could be. Might be worth trying.

As far as a funk - I sign up for a race - there's no way to not face that head on and prep!

Here's a hug from me and then a high five and me saying "Come on girl, you've got this."