Friday, February 10, 2012

Have you run in a cotton shirt?

My Dad came up to visit last weekend, and he brought a bunch of old photos for us to look at. I found this one of him, it's from sometime in the eighties:





I couldn't help laughing over the regular old cotton shirt, tucked into his shorts, and the big socks.  Compare that to what I'm going to wear on my run tomorrow, the temps are going to be in the twenties, so I'll put on an Under Armour type shirt, with a tech shirt over it, Nike Dry-Fit pants, and anti-blister, cushioned socks.  Running clothes have come a looooong way.  


He's a Tarheel, so he wanted to check out the Dome up at Syracuse University.  We went to the women's basketball game, Eliza had a ball with Otto.






I've been good this week, I going on my fifth day without chocolate, and I ran Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday.  Wednesday I did the Kathy Kaehler DVD, the exercises seem simple to me, but they definitely give a burn.  Today I'll tackle the kettle bell.  I have to remind myself about the food journal, I missed all of Wednesday, and most of Thursday.

I changed my attitude a bit about things this week.  Instead of harping on myself about what I haven't done, I'm praising myself for what I have done.  

And I think it's making a difference. 

Happy Weekend!!!



13 comments:

misszippy said...

Love the picture of your dad! It's just too cool that you can share the love of running, even if it's in completely different clothing!

I like the approach of looking at the accomplishments!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

"Instead of harping on myself about what I haven't done, I'm praising myself for what I have done."

I am going to adopt this attitude, its solid advice

Christi said...

Change the positive to a negative and it will make a world of difference. Congrats!

Johann said...

I love cotton shirts and still prefer running in them above tech shirts. Tech shirts don't wipe sweat, blood, tears, mud and whatever else off well enough and they don't keep you cool. Cotton stays wet longer and therefore keeps you cooler. I run in cotton every morning.

Unknown said...

awesome picture and an awesome attitude to go with it :)

Runners Fuel said...

I use to run in cotton shirts all the time. There was a point (when I started runnning), that I didn't have any fancy gear. Those can be great memories that you look back on. I love looking through old pictures!

NY Wolve said...

That is really cool -- those old NYRR races are total Old School compared to the mass productions they are now.

Liz Mays said...

When I ran, it was in cotton shirts most of the time. But it was casual running around the track.

I need to look into this kettle bell thing.

Evolving Through Running said...

Runs in the family ... very cool.

I ran in cotton shirts for years and years. Also did a long run (10+ miles) on a hot day in a cotton shirt .... once. My nipples still haven't forgiven me.

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

lol. My first two races were in cotton shirts. I'm glad I learned after that!!

Unknown said...

Cotton anything is a no-no living in Houston about 10months out of the year. Our humidity will kick the crap out of cotton shirts in no time at all!

Laura said...

Such a cool pic of your dad!
Love the change of attitude as well..we are all guilty of focusing on the negative...

Tortuga_Runner said...

Great job on the positive self talk! Sounds like you have had an amazing week so it completely makes sense how happy you are and a great that you are preparing to be positive even on the days where you might have expected more from yourself. I love the picture and you comments about your outfit, too funny.

~Sophia