Wednesday, September 14, 2011

this will inspire you

I came across this story yesterday through The Children's Tumor Foundation's facebook page.

It is about Matt Hay, an athlete from Indiana, who was diagnosed 14 years ago with NF2, one of the types of neurofibromatosis, which is an incurable disease that causes tumors to grow throughout the body.

He has had eight surgeries and twice, had to re-learn how to walk.   He lost full control of the left side of his face, and in 2004 he lost his hearing.

But last weekend, he completed Rev 3's Cedar Point Ironman Triathlon. Matt completed the 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride and 26.2 mile run in 15:41:02

You can read the complete story here, but I just think his accomplishment is amazing.


I'm running with Team NF Endurance, to raise funds for this foundation, while running the NYC Marathon.  
If you would like to make a donation to my fundraising page, you can click the link on my sidebar. 




9 comments:

misszippy said...

wow! People like that just blow me away. Makes you realize that complaining about our little aches and pains means nothing!

Christi said...

That is a great story. Thanks so much for sharing!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Wow, I am glad I woke up late and didnt get a chance to put on mascara because it would have runned on me

Stories like this is the reason I do this sport

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

Thanks for sharing the story, so inspiring. Makes me feel so lucky.

Teamarcia said...

Puts it all into perspective doesn't it? Thanks for sharing that.

Johann said...

Really inspiring indeed! People like that give me a whole new way of looking at things.

Unknown said...

Thank you for the much needed reality check and perspective shift!!

Caratunk Girl said...

This kind of stuff always blows me away - people like this inspire me! AND remind me how lucky I am

ethan said...

Really brilliant post, thanks so much for sharing!
cheap canvas art