Monday, August 30, 2010

Trying not to bug out

Thirteen days from the marathon, and I really hope I didn't injure myself on my 12 mile run Sunday.

Two years ago I pulled my left hamstring doing speed work, ended up not running for months, and having to go to Physical Therapy.  I'm vigilant about icing it after every run, stretching before and after a run, and using my foam roller if I feel like it's getting tight. 

Sunday was going to be the last time Jeannine and Norine and I ran together as a group, we've been doing our long runs together for all these weeks of training.  The girls made it to my house at seven, Norine planned to do her 21 mile run that day, she had already run over nine miles when we set out.  Beautiful morning, we varied the route a bit, I was moving along and feeling great. 

Then about 5 miles in, I felt my hamstring kind of seize up into a painful knot, I've never had a cramp in my legs while running, so I just assumed that's what it was.  I slowed down, walked a bit, and realized I hadn't been drinking much water.  So I guzzled some Nuun, water, and a chocolate GU, and got moving again, but slowly.  I tried to rub the cramp out, but no go.  So I just started running, hoping it would work itself out.  Then about 9 miles in, my freakin' blister toe started acting up, and I got pissed off, and walked a good half mile.  Started to feel a bit better, so I was able to keep up with J & N and finish it off.

When I got home I rolled on the foam roller, iced my leg, and took some advil.  I tried to stay off my feet the rest of the day, but if I walked too fast my leg hurt.

It feels better this morning, but I slept like crap worrying about it.  I made an appointment with my PT on Wednesday, but I'm not sure what to do about this week's runs.  I can't believe I made it this far without any major problems, but now I have one.   Was it just a cramp? Or more????

Like I said, I'm trying not to bug out. But it's a little hard not to.

31 comments:

Anne said...

Hopefully, it's all part of the phantom pain related to taper madness that we keep reading about...fingers crossed! Sending go-away-hamstring-pain vibes your way (())

abbi said...

Hopefully it will go away, I'd take it really easy this week to make sure. It seems when I start freaking out about things, I start imagining pain that isn't really there too.

misszippy said...

Stuff like this always manages to creep up at the last minute. You are doing all the right things--can you have a massage also? Good luck with it; hopefully it is only a little soreness.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I hope its just a cramp, maybe didnt have enough water in you. What leg was it? I have a good right leg you can borrow, if its your left, well I still have my achilles issue and now IT issues. so wont do you anygood.

I have noticed personally, I get "injured" right before races, but it turns out to be nothing, maybe that the case for you as well.

Isnt it taper time? I dont know how long mary tapers are, but I am assuming it should be right about now, this will will help make you get better quicker.

I am rooting for you.

Liz Mays said...

I'm hoping that it will just work itself out and that it's temporary!

One Crazy Penguin said...

Oh no! Hopefully it's nothing. Sending positive vibes your way!

Questionably Texan said...

I'd go with "taper pains". If you're worried about it though, I wouldn't run on it, at least for a few days.

You're not going to gain any fitness running in these last 13 days.

Andrew Opala said...

hang in there ... you will do great!

J said...

Hope your hamstring feels better soon! I know that when I get cramps in my calves, they are sore for a few days afterward so hopefully that is what you are experiencing!!

kristen said...

Do you do salt tablets? I know it's SUPER hot where you live and your probably sweating a TON. They help with the cramps. Don't start freaking out yet (althought that's totally normal so I guess I really just said that for no reason!)

If your really worried about it don't run. You will be MUCH better off overtapering than undertapering. You don't have any thing to gain at this point. All the training has been done. Now it's time to sit back and visualize.

Unknown said...

With 13 days to go it is best to take it easy. no real fitness will be gained or lost in that time so don't stress!

Tara said...

Oh man, that's what happens when you are only a few weeks out from your marathon, you contact all kinds of ailments!!! I swear it's true! (ok, maybe in our heads). I hope it was just a cramp, I am crossing my fingers for you. Have you used any type of salt tabs for electrolyte replacement? I use some which restores salt, magnesium, and potassium. You might wanna give them a try.

yonca said...

Hope, it is just a cramp and completely goes away soon.Glad you are feeling better today.Take care!

Caratunk Girl said...

That sucks!! I agree with Jeff on that - you really are not going to lose much and might hurt things worst if you keep pushing it.

If you can get a massage that would be awesome, but if you can't, you know what else might help? Tennis ball. OW. I know. But it helped me loosen up my hammies once when they were screaming. Good luck!

Michelle said...

I hope your hammy calms down quickly. Any chance of getting a massage? Sending lots of healing vibes your way! Rest!!

The Green Girl said...

Urgh. I'm sending lots of positive thoughts your way.

ajh said...

Hope it is all sorted out and okay by now! Someone needs to run their marathon healthy!

Amy said...

I hope your hamstring is feeling better! Well done finishing your run!

Unknown said...

Don't fret the runs this week; you've done the miles and you're ready. Rest and stretch. Going to the PT is great. Feel better.

Johann said...

Just take it easy, you’ll be fine. I’m sure there is no injury. With only a few days left the best is to rest as much as possible. You are ready for the marathon.

Teamarcia said...

No matter what, the hay is in the barn so to speak so don't worry too much about upcoming runs. I'd take them nice and easy and lay off at the first sign of pain. Hang in there--you'll be fine!

Anonymous said...

Aw, I will keep my fingers crossed that it was just a cramp. I'm sure that is what it was!

Unknown said...

That's a scary feeling! Will keep my fingers crossed for you!

Together We Save said...

Oh I hope you are ok!!

Suzy said...

How are you today? I hope things are looking up and the pain is subsiding.

Julie said...

Hi Molly,
I am sending you lots of positive marathon vibes! You are going to be just fine...just take care of yourself and be smart! I know that you are going to rock this marathon! You just wait and see:) Hugs and love:)

Unknown said...

I'm calling it a taper tantrum! Sounds like you did all the right things. Hope it stays away!!!

Erika said...

Gave you an award on my blog:) Happy running!

Iron Mike said...

I can only recommend hydration and visualization at this point. You're so close and you've definitely put in the work.
Get that cramp out of your mind, you're gonna have a great race.

Black Knight said...

Few days before the main event many bad thoughts keep busy our mind. Don't worry, you are careful, you followed the right plan and now it's tapering time. Take it easy and run a great marathon.

Jill said...

Hamstrings are runner's worst enemy (well, for most - mine seems to be my heel - ha) - I learned in my class 90% of all runners have very tight hamstrings; you're doing the right thing so try not to worry much about the race. Just run and have a great time doing so!!