Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Mid Summer Night, Winter Meal

I had no idea what to make for dinner last night.  Mike was home in the afternoon, and he said he wanted chicken and rice. It was so hot and humid yesterday, and after a seven mile run that included an encounter  with an unleashed dog, the last thing I wanted to do was turn on the oven.  But then a big 'ole thunderstorm rolled in, so I cranked the A/C, danced around the kitchen to some Phish Live, and instead of grilling, I was baking. 



I made one of our two favorite rices, Black Japonica.  It takes almost a hour to cook, and I love to sautee onions and mushrooms, then stir them in halfway through the cooking time, it adds a bit more oomph.  One of the four ways I make chicken, is to sprinkle Adobo seasoning all over chicken thighs, and put them in the oven at 375 and bake the heck out of 'em. 

I had to take this photo because from my angle, Dracula was looking like he wanted to eat the Adobo.


I also sliced up bright yellow summer squash, they were so fresh they still had dirt on them, but my camera didn't do them justice.  I tossed them with olive oil and salt and pepper, and roasted those suckers up too.

While all this was going on I nibbled on some of these spicy sriracha peas, not as hot as wasabi peas, but they went well with my glass of chard.



Surprisingly enough, we had leftovers for lunch today.  But the kids ate them before I could.




14 comments:

Love the Decor! said...

Yum It all sounds delish!!
I have never seen the Adobo seasoning just the sauce Need to find some it sounds great!!

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

I've never seen those peas. If they're anything like wasabi, I gots to get me some of those! I've never had wasabi PEAS either, but I looooooooooove wasabi peanuts.

Erika said...

Never heard of any of that food...call me a sheltered mac and cheese kind of girl! I may just have to expand my taste buds sometime soon:)

Unknown said...

Sounds yummy. Believe it or not - just believe it because it's true - I'm allergic to rice. Between that and lactose, my diet tends to be boring. But, I may still try this recipe on the boys.

Jill said...

I've never hear of those peas, not Japonica...you made me open my google window :). I can't handle the oven on when it's hot out either, I get so cranky when I'm cooking and it's super hot.

Iron Mike said...

Might be a bit cumbersome, but I'd bring that little dracula along to deal with the unleashed dog, and reward him with the Adobo upon your return.

ajh said...

Yum! We are finally getting yellow summer squash.

Nicki said...

Yum! Sounds delicious! I will be up for dinner next time.

Johann said...

Sounds delicious! I love brown and black rice.

RunToTheFinish said...

wow I've never heard of that kind of rice at all..is it better for you or just tasty?

NY Wolve said...

I never have the patience to make those really hard, nutty rice, and if I get Basmati going, I feel like I have accomplished something. That sounds like a fall meal.

By the way, I like the new picture. (I know it may be old by now, but I just noticed it.)

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I didnt now 90% of the foods you mentioned, but I am so hungry right now it all sounds good

Emz said...

Oh man you eat sooooooooo healthy. I'm taking note. No joke - just finished a mcD's hamburger [guess, it could have been worse?! probably not]. ;)

Anonymous said...

that sounds delish! Especially with the chard :)