Sunday, August 22, 2010

More than 21

I've been a bit unplugged this week.  Mike was on vacation, we had nine uninterrupted days of Daddy time, which hasn't happened in years, so it was a real treat.  We had all sorts of things planned, including all outdoor runs for me.  So of course I got sick. 

I should have known something was up last Sunday, it was dark and rainy out, and after lunch, I got the kids settled down with a movie, then went upstairs to get the laundry.  When I saw my bed I decided to stretch out on it for a minute, which turned into two hours.  It is rare that I nap, so I must have needed it.  The next morning I went out for six miles, and I was okay, but felt kinda lousy.  I was looking forward to an 8 mile trail run the next day at a nature center in town, where I've been trying to go all summer.  My head and nose had different plans, I barely made it through six, because I felt like I was going to hurl and my head was going to explode.  So the rest of the day and night I stayed on the couch, I couldn't even smell the garlic laden tomato sauce Mike was making.

The next day was a perfect day to go to the JETS Training Camp, at SUNY Cortland, where Mike and I met.  I'm a Giants fan, but the Jets are my #2.  It was very cool to be able to be right at the side of the field while they practiced (yes, that was Mark Sanchez in the photos, as well as L.T.).  Eliza scored a foam #1 Fan Finger, and Luke got a jersey for $10 (bargain!) and mini football.  We took the kids through campus and had lunch in town, so it was a nice rest day. 


By Thursday I was 99% better, so we headed up to the Adirondack's to see Mike's Mom and Dad, and get some lake time in.  I ran my planned 8 miles, and I was happy that I nailed all the hills that I had problems with when I ran them last month.  Aside from wading in the lake while the kids swam, I stayed out of the water, but the weather was beautiful and I soaked it in.  I did keep thinking of my upcoming 21 miler, and I was reminded of it a couple of times.  A woman walked by on the beach wearing Vibrams, and a guy sitting next to us was talking about his triathlon training. 

So all of a sudden it was Saturday, time for the last long training run.  I was ready for it, but mostly ready for it to be done, the training getting kind of old, I'm ready to just run this marathon already.  I made it over to Jeannine's house by 6:30 a.m., and we took a "scenic route" all around town back to my house.  We've been really lucky with the weather for our long runs, and yesterday it was in the low 60's, with no humidity.  As usual, the first half flew by, I was busy blowing my nose and entertaining Jeannine with all my hocking and spitting noises.  I really need to be more vigilant about my fueling schedule.  I usually suck down a GU every 5 miles, I was too busy running to realize we had already gone 7.5 miles, and all I had taken in was water.   At 10.5 we made a quick stop at Dunkin' Donuts to use the bathroom and replenish my tissue supply (I ignored the donuts).  Then we were off again, chomping on sports beans, water and Nuun.

I really like the route we do, it goes through the village, by the river, through neighborhoods with some really cute houses, as well as farmland.  We pass by wild flowers, corn fields, and yesterday, we ran by some late summer raspberries.  We usually leave from my house, but yesterday we ran it the opposite way, which was enough of a change to keep it interesting. 

It seems that I start to feel the run at mile 17, and that was true yesterday, I felt it right in my quads.  Then at 18, my toe with the blister started to feel sore too.  But that was really it.  My head was in the right place, my lungs felt good. It was just a matter of staying in the moment.  I'm happy to say that I haven't been using my ipod for all these runs, which for me is huge. 

We came to an intersection that leads into my development, and I paused G-unit while we waited for the light.  And I forgot to turn it back on, I didn't realize it for about 10 minutes.  UGH! Jeannine had mapped out a 21.09 mile route, but I wanted to know our time.  Aside from that, we were having a good run.  I kept waiting for something to happen, to hit a wall, or trip, hack up a lung, whatever, but my house was getting closer and closer, and I knew I could keep going.  Like 26.2 miles.

After the run, I had a smoothie with fruit and Amazing Grass, took my ice bath, then ate a bean burrito, and took a hot shower.  Then I was running again, around my house to clean and cook to get ready for Miss Eliza's Fourth Birthday party (I don't know how that happened, she was a baby just last week).  When Jeannine came back for the party, she had driven part of the route that we ran when G-Unit was off.  We did the math, and we ended up doing closer to 22 miles, in 3 hours and 45 minutes. 

After cake and ice cream, and gifts that included red sparkly cowgirl boots, princess lip gloss and a ukulele, I sat down.  And my quads started screaming at me.  Seriously, they have never felt so sore.  So I hauled out the ice packs, had some wine, and watched the end of the movie Signs.  Which always scares the crap out of me.

I'm off to catch up on blogs, and to celebrate Eliza's actual birthday tomorrow.  I love this picture of us.  And it cracks me up that my foam roller is sitting in the background.

36 comments:

mommaof3ontherun said...

Wow, 22 miles is awesome. Take care of those quads...wine is always good, LOL!

ajh said...

Happy Birthday to Eliza! She is so sweet. It sounds like an awesome last long run. You will be doing great in that marathon! I am jealous that you will e experiencing your first!

Michelle said...

Great job on the 22! Wow! Sounds like you're ready for that marathon!!

abbi said...

Why do we always get sick during the worst weeks? Still sounds like you managed to make the most of your week. Great job on the 22 miles - you are ready!

Suzy said...

Happy Birthday Eliza!

congrats on your 21+!! I hate it when I forget to turn the garmin back on; at least you knew where you were. Take care of your quads and have a wonderful week.

Evolving Through Running said...

Great job with the long run. If you're hitting 22 that well you'll crush 26. Hope the quads aren't too mad at you.

Allie @ The Constant Pursuit said...

That long run was AWESOME! You're going to be so set for the marathon! :)

Anonymous said...

It's all downhill from here except of course for the race, but it sounds like you're ready.

Unknown said...

Great job on the 21 miles. Don't worry about the time; it will be faster on race day anyway.

The rest is easy - except for the waiting part.

yonca said...

Sound like you're ready for the marathon.Beautiful pics! Happy Birthday to Eliza!

Julie said...

Hi Molly,
You are amazing! Awesome job on your 22 miler! I am so proud of you and know that you are going to do so well at your marathon! I am pretty sure that I would of hit the wall at some point:) Nice work!

misszippy said...

Sorry you got sick at such a bad time for it! But sounds like you bounced back nicely. Great job on the long run.

The kids are adorable--happy birthday to your little girl!

Erika said...

Awesome work on your 22 miles!! I'm still a little nervous when I hear numbers that big...it must be a huge relief that you felt that good after 22. I find that wine almost always helps me feel better too:)

Mark said...

Nice run, despite all of the minor setbacks. Way to avoid the donuts. I would have hacked up one of those had I had one. I don't think I've eaten a donut in 15 years!

No doubt getting ready for Rochester? I will be thinking of you and the rest of my blogger buddies who are doing that race. I will be running late into the night most likely, that is, if I don't get sick beforehand. That is my biggest fear.

Unknown said...

Yeah!!! You will do great at your marathon!!! Keep up with nutrition and plenty of rest!!

Liz Mays said...

I'm sorry your week started out so icky, but yay for happy weekend endings!

Johann said...

Sounds like a great run. I love it when that happens on a long training run. They can be so tough. That’s why I run many races as training. Your marathon will be great!

Nicole said...

aww Happy Birthday to her! and Wow that is a long run! Thats good that you ran through the sick feeling that you were having, and then gave yourself time to just vedge. I think its amazing that you did a run like that and then came home and ran around doing all the other house stuff too! Great job!

Unknown said...

Great job on the run! Glad you are feeling better! And happy birthday to Eliza!

J said...

Great job on the 22 miles! You are going to do great in Rochester! can't wait!

akjenniekt said...

sounds like you had a really great time (other than getting sick!). Great job on the runs :)!

Tara said...

NICE long run Molly, you are almost there, I can't believe your marathon is this close!
Sorry you were sick, but I'm glad you were able to get your long run in.

Happy Birthday to Eliza!

RunToTheFinish said...

maybe with the doughnut you could have just finished off 26.2 and nixed the race ;) way to go and hope the cold keeps moving on!

Unknown said...

Awesome run!! BTW, you can set your Garmin to auto pause when you run...it's under settings, training, options.

Xenia said...

Happy Birthday to Eliza today!

And holy crap, Molly, that's a long run. I know that you and all of your runner readers toss out the "I ran my planned 8 miles" like they're nothing, but wow! I'm so impressed with all of it! I think I could run 22 miles in... maybe a little longer than your 3 h 45 min... somewhere around 17 days? Maybe?

Emz said...

Bummer for being sick--- I feel your pain. ;) I hate being sick.
Love the photo.

Rad Runner said...

Sorry your sick! Great job on the miles, everyone looks so happy! I love it! Feel better!

Jill said...

Hope your daughter had a great birthday. And I hope you're feeling much better now!!!

Anonymous said...

Aw that is such a sweet photo. My foam roller tends to pop up in pics too :) Great job on the run!!

Anne said...

Now that's the way you want to feel heading into your first marathon :) 22 miles and able to keep going (if need be)!!

Woohoo! Glad you're feeling better.

d.a.r. said...

Wow, 22 miles is awesome and it sounds like you are in the perfect place mentally going into a marathon! Congrats!

Susan Fobes said...

Sometimes our body knows better, huh? I hope you are 100% now.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

You are sooooooo ready for your marathon, remember the race is the reward for all the hard work you have put in

H Love said...

wow...you are doing great! I am just catching up on blogs. Can't believe it almost go time for you. I am a bit nervous...as I have 20 tomorrow for the first time solo!

Iron Mike said...

You fought your way through the tough training week, you're gonna do great in the marathon.
And that's a cool birthday cake, I love letting the kids just flip through the cake design book, there's always so many fun choices.
And if you need further reminder that your 4 year old is not a baby, just pick her up and try to cradle her. Bet it's near impossible!

Anonymous said...

Hi new friend, I am now following you via MBC.