Monday, August 9, 2010

19 miles and an abundance of produce


When Mike and I first moved in together, we used to take walks after work.  Mike used to pretend that he hated doing it, and his running joke was that he was in too much pain to walk.  He would say, "Oh my foot hurts. Oh my back hurts. Oh my ear hurts."  That's kind of how I felt, for real, during my 19 miler on Sunday.



For the most part, my long runs have been going great, and this week was great too, but I was definitely feeling it at the end. We left from Norine's house, and followed the same route as last week, into the next town and back again.  Right off the bat, my left arch was bugging me, and it lasted for the next couple of miles.  Although I'm not due for a new pair of running shoes, I think I have to get some new ones, because my PF keeps threatening to flare up.  I switched from Asics to Nike in March, and I was happy with them at first, but something isn't feeling right, and if I'm going to try something new, I'd better do it now, since I'm exactly one month from the marathon.


My arch started to feel better, and we cruised along, I had a GU at 6.5 miles, later than I normally do, but time was flying by.  We made a pit stop in the park at 9.5 miles, and I felt confident about the second half.  Then my knee started acting up again, and at mile 15 I realized I should have had another GU back at mile 13, although I was drinking Nuun and water.  I was kind of tired, and my legs felt heavy, but we were going up a small hill, and once we turned onto a flat road, I regrouped, turned on my ipod, and felt a million times better, so I took a photo. 


Around mile 17 my legs were really getting a workout, and by 18.5, even my back was feeling it.  I was happy that the run was coming to an end, but I felt like if I really had to, I could do the full 26.  I just wouldn't be very happy about it.

Once I got home the house was empty, so I took my ice bath in peace, and then inhaled a turkey sandwich.  Then I made a smoothie with Amazing Grass, banana, and frozen blueberries and raspberries that we picked this summer.  Then later on Mike made fresh corn and zucchini fritters, we got a huge zucchini at the public market for only a buck.   We also bought 25 pounds of lovely roma tomatoes, I've been roasting them in batches to freeze for sauce.  I actually had some this morning for one of my favorite breakfasts, smeared on some Ezekiel toast.



This week my runs are going to be six, eight, eight, then the long run is 12!  That's going to feel like a cake walk.

I just posted a new Nathan Fuel Belt giveaway here, and there are a couple days left for the CSN giveaway here!

Happy Trails!

29 comments:

Heather said...

Wow! Congratulations on your 19 miles!! You deserve a rest day!

J said...

Great job on the 19 miles!! Enjoy the rest! That zucchini is HUGE!

Emz said...

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO completely awesome!

YAY for 19 miles!!!!!!

Allie @ The Constant Pursuit said...

Congrats on the run!! You may want to give Brooks a try... I used to run in Asics but my calf/foot started bothering me and I've had no problems ever since I switched to Brooks!

KovasP said...

Sounds like a great run and healthy eating!

Unknown said...

Way to go on your run!! 19 miles and at such a great pace. Looks like you have a beautiful place to run. I'm getting new shoes today too. I wore Aasics for years and switched to the Nikes for this last pair and I loved them. Hoping to find the same ones. The smoothie and fritters sound awesome!!

abbi said...

Great job and great pace on the long one!!

Teamarcia said...

Dont' you just love it when 12 seems like a cake walk? Nice job out there!

Unknown said...

Awesome run!! Maybe we can run together soon!!

Runners Fuel said...

Congrats on 19 miles!!

Unknown said...

Funny that you used ice bath and peace in the same line. I can only imagine how "peaceful" it will be if I ever step in one.
Great job on your long runs. You'll zip through your 12 in no time.

Suzy said...

Congrats on your 19 miler! I can't imagine that kind of distance. Enjoy your lower mileage week.

Lisa said...

sorry your long run was a struggle this week, but congrats on getting through it! I bet that ice bath felt great! Well, as great as it can!

Corn and zucchini fritters sound great!

justme said...

can you post the recipe for the fritters and can you write about how you do the tomatoes to freeze for sauce...

ajh said...

Nice job on the 19. Take care of that PF!

Janie B said...

You are amazing! Good luck with your training.

Anonymous said...

19 miles - wow. I loved your comment about being able to do 26 but not being really happy about it having to do it - I'm with ya!

Flory said...

Hi Molly! Wow - 19 miles- congratulations. I recently started getting into running. I feel so powerful when I do a long run (the most I've done is seven miles).

Keep up the good work.

Flory - A Woman's Life Stages. (I'm back)

Elizabeth said...

Great job on getting thru the 19 miler, it may be time to throw in another shoe into the mix which is something I may have to do also even though the mileage on my current shoe isn't up there but my right heel is a problem and is already beginning to complain.

Unknown said...

Eatin' clean & runnin' long -- you go Molly!

Jon said...

Nice job! 19 miles is incredible!

mudmama said...

Go girl! That is AMAZING!

Unknown said...

You go girl! 19 miles is awesome - you pushed through when it was tough and that's more awesome!! And I love the pictures!

Johann said...

Wow, super run. It can be tough doing these long runs as training, but it is so worth it. Best training there is! Whenever possible I do these runs in races, but still at training pace.

Anonymous said...

Awesome job on the run! I can't believe you have a month to go- how exciting!! That may be the biggest zucchini I've laid eyes on.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Wow, nice run, you never cease to amaze me with your distances

Nicki said...

Fantastic run!! I am amazed at how quickly you cover that much road.

I have to tell you I was fitted into a pair of Nikes in May. Mine are shot already and I am not at all happy. Have to start getting new shoes but have to find the time and the money. LOL!

The Diva on a Diet said...

Congrats on the BIG run, Molly, you're getting closer and closer to the really BIG run! Wow, I'm excited for you! :)

Susan Fobes said...

My body hurt just reading all of that-geez... The good food at the end maybe made it worth it.
:)