Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Those Who Run Seem To Have All The Fun



I have so much to yap about, that I thought it would be appropriate to quote Madonna, as Hung Up showed up on my ipod while I was out running on Saturday. I'm a bit drained from a weekend full of emotions from our last hurrah at my Mom's house, I took the time to fully appreciate each moment, but now it's one of those times that I need a vacation from my vacation.





We spent as much time as possible outside and down by the beach, I made it to the Tiki Bar on Friday night with my BFF's, brought the kids for ice cream, for lunch, and two afternoons of swimming and playing in the sand. Correction, playing in the rocks and shells. This beach is on the North Shore of Long Island, and can be rocky, and if you're not used to it, downright painful. We talked about Bayville Beach Feet, which is what you acquire growing up on those beaches, and Mike and the kids definitely do not have it.



The one thing I did not do was run to the beach, as I had planned. There was construction on the road that leads to the water, and I wasn't too keen on dealing with a mess, plus cars that might not be paying attention. As Mike said, it would really put a damper on the weekend if I got hit by a car. So I stuck to roads closer to my Mom's house for both runs, an eight miler on Saturday, and three on Monday. Both days I ran in the cemetery, which sounds a little creepy, but it's not. It's a beautiful, leafy, hilly, quiet space, and we used to go for walks there when I was younger. There are people I know laid to rest there, and if you've seen the movie Grey Gardens, Little Edie Beale is there too. For my longer run I made it to my old high school, and did a few laps around the track. Which reminded me of a conversation I had with my girlfriends on Friday night, we all played field hockey together, and used to cheat on our runs during practice. Half of the course we ran was on the field, and the other half in the woods. We used to walk when we got into the woods, chatting away thinking we were so slick, until one time one of the coaches jumped out from behind a tree and yelled "GOTCHA!" We had to do many a make up lap for that one.





Of course, no holiday weekend would be complete without food. Pizza by the water, bacon and cheese on an Everything Flagel for breakfast from the deli paired with iced coffee, steamed clams, crab cakes, watermelon and sweet corn all made an appearance. I saw so many people who live in the area who are important to me, and at a BBQ on Sunday, I felt like it was a scene from 30 Something (which is finally out on DVD) having a beer with my friends in a backyard where the kids ran around, the husbands were yapping away, and the sky was blue.





Good thing I ran huh?

19 comments:

Liz Mays said...

You can do the running, but I'll join you for the eating. YUM!!!

Susan Fobes said...

The food by the beach is the absolute best! (Is it the salt air that makes things taste so much better?) Looks like you had a blast!

Mrs. M said...

I'm with blue violet!! :)

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness... that food looks awesome! :)

H Love said...

yummmy corn!! looks like fun!

ajh said...

Sounds like you had fun with friends, family and good food!

J said...

Glad you had a good weekend! Sad to be leaving that place but glad you got some good memories!

Teamarcia said...

I think I'd have to run the whole time to burn off all of that fun!
Wow 30-something! Haven't thought of that show in eons!

kristen said...

yum!

Pining for Pinterest said...

That food looks amazing!!! Glad to hear you had a great time, I know it must have been a hard weekend.

misszippy said...

Sounds like a great weekend at the beach! I am dying to get to the shore soon.

Unknown said...

Glad you had a great weekend! I love the shore and cant wait to go again. That food looks awesome!

The Diva on a Diet said...

Oh, Molly, I read back so I could catch up on your posts and my heart is aching for you about your mom's house. I know the feeling. My parents sold my childhood home and moved (about five years ago) and it was such a difficult thing/time for me.

I know how hard it is and I'm sending you hugs and good wishes!!!

So glad you were able to enjoy this beautiful weekend there together - and it really looks and sounds like you made the most of it. :)

On a lighter note - that bacon and cheese sandwich looks amazing! LOL

RunToTheFinish said...

stinks when you can't do the run you have in mind, but it sounds like it all worked out wonderfullly for a super weekend.

Jill said...

Oh good lord, that food look soooo yummy, especially the pizza and sweet corn. I grew up in Iowa so I can't tell you how much I LOVE corn on the cob, and it's not very good in Colorado! Okay, now I'm craving ANYTHING but the dumb banana I have sitting on my desk :/.

MCM Mama said...

Glad you had a good weekend. The food looks yummy.

Stop by my blog - you are a winner.

Julie said...

Hi Molly,
Oh my, I would love to be sitting on that beach right now! The food looks so good....and I am super hungry right now:) I just purchased some corn on the cob and will make that for dinner tonight. I am glad that you had a nice weekend:)

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Beach, food, family, PIZZA, doesnt get ANY better then that!!!

Felice Devine said...

Ok, that breakfast sandwich looks SO good!