Sunday, June 20, 2010

My Health and Fitness Inspiration

On this lovely Sunday, I wanted to re-post something I wrote last year.  It's about my Dad, my health and fitness inspiration:

This is my Dad. He's 64. A former Tri-Athlete and Marathon Runner, he was also a swimmer and diver for Chapel Hill. He still runs on a daily basis, and started eating meat again a few years ago. So as his 37 year old daughter, I feel a bit lame if I don't run because I'm "tired."


He started bringing me and my brother and sister to the health food store back in the late '70's, it was a tiny store with creaky wooden floors, and we picked out carob chip candy bars and cookies at the end of each excursion. He stir fried our veggies, tossed tofu into milk shakes, and made salads large enough to serve six as a snack. I learned that eating healthy was just a way of life.

We took hikes in the nature preserve year round (my brother fell through some ice in a creek one winter, that was scary), swam in the lake in Maine and the beach in North Carolina, played tennis and rode our bikes everywhere we could. We never sat around, there was always something to do to burn off energy.

My parents have been divorced for over 30 years, and my Dad has had some ups and downs in his life. He always asks about my races, and sends me running or food articles that he thinks I'd like. He knows the newest gadgets, on his last visit he brought this stick that he uses to massage his calf muscles.

Now that I'm the parent, I love how my kids like to share my smoothies, pop edamame in their mouths, and ask me how my exercise was. I'm already leading by example, because I myself have a wonderful teacher.

17 comments:

Tricia said...

so sweet

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

GREAT story! It would be soo nice to have a healthy influence like that.

Black Knight said...

Great post, it is wonderful to have a relationship with the dad like yours. Unfortunately I don't have anymore contact with my dad for a bad story after he got married with an immigrant lady.

Unknown said...

I love this. It is so sweet. How awesome it is that your children and their children are also going to be able to learn these wonderful lessons. This is a blessing for sure.

Jill said...

That was very special, thanks for sharing!!! My dad was never anything like yours - you are so truly blessed!!

Unknown said...

It is wonderful that you are able to pass on to your children what your dad passed onto you.

ajh said...

Very nice post.

Anne said...

Beautiful post...you are so lucky to have such a great dad!

Julie said...

Hi Molly,
What a wonderful tribute to your dad:) He sounds like a very special man! Cheers to having a wonderful role model and teacher:)

Johann said...

Lovely post! I relate to this 100%. My dad is my inspiration for running too. He is 80 now and still do 10km run/walks sometimes. Like you, I also try to lead by example now. Yeah for your dad!

Sherri said...

Great Post! sounds like a great inspiration to have in your life!

Iron Mike said...

Very cool, I'm sure your kids will be saying the same thing when you are 64!

Lucas R. Tucker said...

It's great you had someone to instill good habits at such a young age.

Anonymous said...

Those are great gifts your dad passed on to you. Those are great gifts you're passing on to your own children, too. I love the photo. You look pretty, your father looks fabulous. Heartwarming, Molly; thanks.

Tara said...

That's awesome that you had such a great inspiration growing up and YOU are a great inspiration to your kids!

Your dad looks AWESOME for 64!

My daughter thinks I'm a nut for doing so much running, but maybe one day she'll be inspired to be healthy. As for my dad, well....he likes to sit in his green chair and drink beer, I think that's where I got my love of beer!!

Have a happy monday Molly!

Mark said...

That's awesome. I really hope to be that kind of role model for my son as he grows up!

Lisa said...

What a cute picture and great story! Your Dad sounds wonderful!