Saturday, June 26, 2010

I need input....and I'll tell you how to get free Toe Juice

I had a great 14 mile run today.  A lousy night sleep, but a great run.  I've been flirting with insomnia again, I was tired when we went to bed last night, but 10 seconds after Mike's head hit the pillow, he was snoring so loud it shook the bed.  After about an hour of that I went into the guest room, but didn't sleep there either.  I was excited/anxious for today and I was up for good at 4:30 a.m. 

I ran with my sis in law Jeannine and friend Norine.  We did a route around town that was different from last week, and I can't get over the difference in the two runs.  Today there was zero humidity and it was cooler, the first four miles flew by, we threw in some decent hills for Boilermaker prep and for the second week in a row my ipod stayed off.
After I got home I downed some chocolate milk and a banana, and doused my feet with some Toe Juice.  Then I had a surprise in my mailbox, a package from MCM Mama, fuel I won in her giveaway.  I'm looking forward to trying the Heed and Honey Stinger chews.  Thanks Mama!

I've been testing out Hogs Wash and Toe Juice, which was actually featured in the last issue of Runners World.  It's a liquid that you can use it on all sorts of skin issues that plague runners, like Athlete's Foot or cracked skin, it feels especially nice on my hot feet after a run.  We have really bad mosquito's, one of these days one of the kids are going to be carried off by them, and at dusk we get chowed.  I doused some Juice on the bites, and the itch was instantly gone, and it didn't come back.  Mike used it too, and he concurred.  You can put it on with a cotton ball, or just squirt it on.  The Hogs Wash is hand sanitizer that is primarily for "working hands" that tend to be dry or split.  I used it last weekend after planting my flowers, and it cleaned them well, other than what was left in my nails, so I think that's going to be useful around the house this summer.

If you'd like to try a one ounce bottle of Toe Juice (a $7.99 value) for free, you can order it on their website, (but you do need to pay shipping) enter this code: bakerbargain at checkout.

I'm not sure what to do about my long run the weekend of the Boilermaker, which is 9 miles and can be challenging because of the hills, and if the temps are high, watch out.  I'm supposed to run 16 that weekend, and then it goes back down to a 12 mile long run the following weekend. So should I:

a. run the 9.3, then another 6 later in the day (keep in mind that beer is a big feature of this race)
b. run 9.3 and that's it.
c. run 9.3, and do more than 12 miles the following week.
d. run 9.3, then follow the plan as usual, with 12 the following week.

Ya got that?  Any ideas?  

Please note, I received samples of Toe Juice and Hogs Wash for the purpose of this review.  My opinions are my own...blah blah....and you know the rest.

18 comments:

Running Through Phoenix said...

I say D. You want to run because it's fun, not because you're competing. Have fun! Can't wait to try to the toe juice on my blackened toenails.

misszippy said...

I say either c or d, whichever your legs feel up to. Plans should be flexible for this kind of stuff, so don't beat yourself up about messing with it.

The toe juice, etc. sounds good.

J said...

Lets hope Boilermaker is NOT hot!! lol

I would say run the race and then run more the next weekend. You never know how hot it is going to be or how much the race will take out of you and you may not get out for the 6 extra miles.

Unknown said...

I have the toe juice too and its great on my feet after I have been in shoes all day working.
I need to get on trying the Hog Wash too.
Sorry you couldn't sleep. Insomnia is the worst.
Have a great weekend!

Lucas R. Tucker said...

I'd go with D, under the run because it is fun premise.

Unknown said...

Go for C or D. Run the race and enjoy it; then, pick up where you left off. Whatever you do, have fun!

N.D. said...

Great job on the long run! I hate it when I can't sleep, ugh!! The toe juice sounds interesting - thanks for posting.

Julie said...

Hi Molly,
That is a tough one. I don't know what to tell you. I am making modifications to my training plan because of races...it sucks! I am attempting to get in the suggested weekly miles or more. Today I had to cut my 11 miler into two runs...a six miler this morning and then later tonight I will go back out and do the other five:) It was just to damn hot! I will keep my fingers crossed that your race day will not be boiling:)

What plan are you doing?
What week are you in?

Black Knight said...

My idea is "D". About mosquitoes I put 2 bat boxes under the roof and I have a new killer at home (the geko) to fight those boring invasors. The Black Knight Army is a powerful mix of warriors and brave animals.

Iron Mike said...

Aren't B & D the same thing?

I vote D, but if you can go for a walk later in the day, you'd be a winner.

Can you listen to music to fall asleep/drown out that snoring?
Back in my youth, I would fall asleep each night listening to Counting Crows, worked like a charm.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

"After I got home I downed some chocolate milk and a banana, and doused my feet with some Toe Juice" Has my laughing

I would have picked A

karen@fitnessjourney said...

Insomnia is frustrating, isn't it? Hope after your long run that you'll have a good night's rest.

ajh said...

I'm with D. Have fun at the race.

Emz said...

I really want Toe Juice. OMG that sounds horrible and I want some.

I pick A because I do whatever BBDiesel says.

Tracy said...

I would say b. As long was you are sticking to a good schedule a little less miles once is not bad.

Jill said...

A. You'll run it harder than your long run and thus get more of an effort...and you have more long runs later. I've never heard of Toe Juice, but I'd love to try it, thanks!

Jill said...

Actually, I meant B. :)

Darlene said...

D.