Friday, January 1, 2010

the chocolate is on lockdown


Two days into the New Year and I'm off to a good start. In an earlier post, I talked about my goals for the year, and I've worked out a plan to get there, step by step.

I decided that for January, my first step is to tackle strengthening my core, and muscles overall. I love cardio, I don't feel like I've accomplished something in a workout unless I finish it covered in sweat, but I'm going to suck it up an run just once (maybe twice) a week, and fill the rest of my days with yoga and Wii Fit. I made it outside last Sunday for a seven mile run, which was good timing, as it started snowing the next day and has not stopped. I filled my days with walks in the snow, including my annual solo walk on New Years Eve Day, to reflect before the evening festivities (and we were festive this year, bedtime for me was two a.m.)
I have to say I am very gung ho about running a marathon, but I am forcing myself to be cautious. I have a habit of doing too much too soon, or doing more intense work before I'm really ready for it. I was looking at races online the other night, and have a few in mind. I just finished Dean Karnazes' book 50 50, which is a great kick in the ass to get moving if you need one. I decided to follow his marathon training plan once I'm ready, it's very similar to what I followed for my half marathon (if you want to see what I have planned for the next few months, check out my sidebar).

I hooked up my Wii Fit the other day, and so far, so good. It gave me a BMI of 24, which is in the healthy range. I'm 5 '10, and a solid boned Irish girl, so I was happy with that. It did say if I wanted to get to my ideal BMI of 22, I need to lose FOURTEEN pounds. That is lower than my Wedding Weight (which, in my head, was my perfect weight before I gave birth). I think that's a bit low for me. I do want to lose five pounds, so I made that a goal to reach by my birthday, which is the the last day of this month.

I said goodbye to sugar for January, my last cookie was on New Years Eve. It was chocolate, chocolate chip, made by my friend K. It was a deceptive cookie, after I bit into it I tasted mint, which to me is heavenly. She said the secret is to top each mound of dough with an Andes Candy before baking.....Whoo HAH! it was good.

20 comments:

Mary Poppins in Heels said...

Good luck!

Susan Fobes said...

Oh the Christmas cookies get me every time! We still have a dozen gingerbread girls and boys and a boat load of cookies my neighbor brought over... The kids have been nibbling away but not fast enough. I vowed to stick to a one cookie maximum until the blasted things are gone!
"Santa" gave the kids Wii resort sports and boy is this fun-my arms are sore! Good luck with Wii fit-we have this too, but can't seem to stick with it.

Thomas Tan said...

You're certainly off to a good start for the new year, Molly! May you have a happy, healthy and prosperous 2010 to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Last year I joined the gym and bought some cute workout pants. I even put them on one day. OK... so I sleep in them. I never actually made it to the gym. Not once. I DO have resolutions--I think about them all the time. Now I'm convicted! To the tread mill!

Unknown said...

Ahh...no-sugar is so tough!! Call me if you want any secrets!!

Tara said...

I'm trying to lockdown the sugar too. Man, is it tough huh? Everytime I reach for a cookie, I'm going to think of the title of your post "the chocolate is on lockdown" and hopefully that will inspire me to step away!

I'm almost finished with the 50/50 book too. What a GREAT book! I couldn't put it down. I hope you decide to train for a marathon! I would love to watch your progress and cheer you on.

Good luck with that whole weight thing. Ugh. 5'10"? You are a tall one! I'm only 5'4", I wish I could have some of your height Molly!

Melissa B. said...

You're a strong person. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea of going back to work tomorrow...

Definitely Not a Snow Job

Serenityville said...

I like your title...though I feel sorry for the chocolate. Good luck with the running - I look forward to reading and hearing more about it. I used to desPISE running but lately have picked it up when the newer, fitter version of me was released in September. :)

Janie B said...

Christmas goodies got to me, too. Now that all company has left, I've thrown away the leftover fudge, cookies, and candy. Gotta get serious again. My face feels all puffy. I got a Wii for Christmas and have been playing some. It's actually good exercise. I don't know how you can stand running in this cold weather. I need sun and warm breezes (not snow-covered sidewalks). Hang in there!

Michal said...

Happy new year and good luck on your weight loss goal, I know you can do it :)

Elizabeth said...

Molly, we just got a wii, and i'm thinking about the wii fit thing - keep us posted on what you think...

Stacy Uncorked said...

Sounds like you've already made a great start! I'm breaking out the Wii Fit Plus and EA Sports Active today - they've been on lockdown for too long. ;)

Debbie said...

You are doing great! I need to get a Wii Fit. We just got a Wii for Christmas.

yonca said...

Sounds like you did a great start Molly. Good luck in your weight loss goal. I also stopped eating sugar.Everyday one apple, more water and bye bye cookies:)

kristen said...

I stepped on the WiFit 'scale' last weekend too. i am about the same as you. I know it's the off season and it was right after the holidays so I thought it would be much worse. The weight will come off quickly, especially if you train for a marathon. I had to eat just to live. It was crazy. I loved it. No sugar lockdown! So when are you going to add a marathon to that sidebar?

Liz Mays said...

I always feel that way too about sweat. If I don't sweat, it wasn't a workout!

That mint chocolate chocolate chip cookie sounds fabulous!

Teamarcia said...

That cookie sounds goooood! My sweets are on lockdown here as well so reading about them is as close as I'll come hopefully.
Happy New Year!

Mrs. M said...

Good luck! I have kept in pretty good shape, but I am going to FOCUS on eating a little better (and more locally) and getting stronger and more flexible! Good luck to you!!

CailinMarie said...

mmm mmm. Good for you. I have given up sugar before and I am a mean cranky bear. It is as bad as giving up caffeine. Actually - caffeine was easier. so GOOD FOR YOU! Hope the core work goes well. I went to my first pilates class with reformer today. wow. very cool. and no worries - I'll bet money that 3 inches shorter I outweighed you on my wedding day and I thought I was fighting weight. :-)

CailinMarie said...

ps - I love the picture!