Monday, October 4, 2010

Running Date

I've mentioned before that because the kids are back in school, I have three mornings a week of guaranteed running time (barring illness, or a pile of laundry).  I can actually make plans to run with others in the middle of the week!  My sis in law Jeannine and friend Norine (my friends and marathon partners) run pretty often at Green Lakes Park, which has trails that loop around two lakes, as well as up into woodsy areas, so we planned our first post marathon run together last Friday.  My friend Kelly and I have been trying to meet up for a run for months now, and as she's training for a 50k trail run this fall, I invited her to come along.

We ended up going the day after a huge rainstorm, and the trails were wet, and pretty muddy in some spots.  Started off around the lake, then headed up some steep inclines, I kept my head down for most of it, lots of roots and rocks to watch out for.  Here is Norine: 




It was so much fun to just clomp along in the mess, not worrying about pace, just running.  Well, and walking up some of the crazy steep parts.  I was hoping we could do about six miles, before we had to leave to pick up Miss Eliza at school, so we did have to watch the clock.  Here is Kelly when she realized the trail ended after we made a wrong turn:

Huh?



Got going again, and this is Jeannine and Kelly from the back when we headed back towards the lakes:




Once we made it back down, we had maybe a mile left to get to the car, which gave us plenty of time to get back home on time.  Kelly and I ran along, and we lost sight of Jeannine and Norine.  I suggested we back track a bit to see if we could find them, which we did.  So we ran, and ran some more. And some more.  When we got back to the point where we had stopped to look for them, we realized we ran that lake loop twice!  Once we figured out where we were, we got moving again, and that's when I knew I was going to be late for school pick up.  So we were booking along at a good clip, with not much of the trail left....and Hammy started protesting, big time.  So much so that I had to walk, which was annoying.  I felt like I had really pushed it, but didn't totally destroy it, so that was good. 

Back in the car, Kelly checked her Garmin for our splits, the first couple of miles were in the 11:00 minute range, which makes sense because we were climbing, and figuring out where the trail was.  The last mile was around 8:37! Which goes to show I have it in me to go fast, I just have to really want it!

After I got Eliza, and said bye to the girls, I popped some Advil, iced and rolled the heck out of Hammy, and felt okay for the rest of the afternoon.  It was stiff over the weekend, during an all day wine tour of Seneca Lake on Saturday, and during a Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk on Sunday (which we did for my Mom in Law Diane, and her sister Cathy who are both Survivors).

So I figured this morning I would go out for a short run, because I'm all amped up to tackle the 259 miles I have left in my 1,000 mile goal.  Made it half a mile, when Hammy said, "uh uh, no way, no how." So I walked some, started running again, and it said "weren't you listening? I said no way. Not now."  Which reeeeaaaly makes me mad, because I just had two weeks of solid, pain free runs.  I'm hoping I didn't undo all the progress I've made in healing.

I'm going to be good, as much as I don't want to, I'm going to take this week off.  I really, really don't want to.  But I'll be good. 

I think.


30 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Do you have a bike? Ride your bike leisurely, it will loosen the hammy and since its probably no clip pedals, you will use primarly your quads.

Mrs. M said...

Hope you feel better soon!!

Runners Fuel said...

The trails look great!

Elizabeth said...

I second the bike ride, even a stationary bike will so or if you can get into the pool but the main thing is to take the time to heal and not make a simple situation worse. Good luck

KovasP said...

So a race with limited time before school pick-up is a PR race for sure! Too bad they don't plan them that way. That looks like a great place to run.

Meredith said...

So sorry about hammy!! Looks like a fun run though!!

abbi said...

The trail run looks like a blast but sorry to hear about the hammy!

Jill said...

Do you go to massage therapy, by chance? I think that would really help get those kinks out of your dang hammie!

The trail looked AWESOME!! We don't have trees like that in our neck of the woods!

Feel better soon, girl!!

Amy said...

Those trails look awesome. I wish I had some running buddies to tackle the trails around here, 'cause I'm too scared of bears to try them alone! I hope you can talk Hammy into behaving itself!

Teamarcia said...

What a great run! Sorry the hammy is acting up again. Give it a good rest and hopefully it'll be renewed.

Unknown said...

Very cool looking trails!!! x a million on the bike, it will loosen you up. If no bike then go swim a few laps in a cool indoor pool. That always does the trick for me!

Lucas R. Tucker said...

sorry about the hammy, but that trail run sounds like a good time. It's nice to just go out fo an adventure sometimes and not have to be race specific.

Andrew Opala said...

what you have to do when the trail ends is, take off your shoes, string them together in a sling, toss them over the power lines and then slide down until they meet-up with another trail - just like MacGiver would do!

Wait a second - you say 11:00 is not fast! I'm insulted. 11:00 is fast for me girl!

Caratunk Girl said...

Awesome trails! Yes on the bike and swimming to loosen you up - 100%.

Stupid hammie. Do you have a foam roller?

Julie @ HotlegsRunner said...

Hope you feel better soon! I love love love a good trail run! =)

Unknown said...

Looked like an awesome Muddy run!! I love running in the woods

Carly said...

Bummer about the hammy. Hope the week of rest does it some good.

ajh said...

Fingers crossed this goes away quickly! Rest and let it heal!

Liz Mays said...

I'm hoping the same thing for you. Just rest those feeties of yours!

Unknown said...

Bummer about the hammy! Hope it feels better!

That's awesome that both your mother-in-law and her sister are survivors! :) I bet it was great doing the walk for them!

Nancy@ifevolutionworks.com said...

Yikes, that looks painful!

Take the break, get recharged and get back out there!

The Green Girl said...

Take care of yourself, girl!

Julie said...

Hi Molly,
Yay, for getting out on the trails! I would love to get out there and do the same:) Bummer about the hammy! It sucks when the body protests but the brain says game on! Take care of yourself! Hugs!

J said...

Looks like a great run! Too bad about the hammy. Just keep stretching and hopefully it will get better! That half/marathon really took a lot out of both of us!

yonca said...

Looks like your feed need to rest.Hope you feel better very soon!

Iron Mike said...

Um, why are you pushing hammy? He already rewarded you with a marathon PR.
From my experience with the hamstring, you may have earned a date with hammy physical therapy, stretching and strengthening exercises. Seriously, I think a marathon trumps 1000mi-in-a-year any day, I would pursue the 26.2 day rest.
And I dunno, although it's difficult, responding via comments seems to be the accepted blogspot practice (weak though it may be). But I'll shoot you an email, I am too scared of SPAM to actually post mine.

Heather said...

Wow! what a beautiful trail!! It will do you good to take a week off and take care of yourself and rest up a bit, you'll be stronger for it.

Fruit Fly said...

That trail looks awesome! I could see how one would NOT want to stop running if you had such a cool place to run.

Okay, now you go rest. REST!!

Johann said...

Sorry to hear the hammy is not behaving. I think it didn’t like the steep climbs and descents on that trail run. What a pity, that is such a lovely trail. Be patient and take care. Stick to easy routes for a while when you start running again.

Unknown said...

I hope this won't deter you from making a running date with me again when your leg feels better!! I had a blast, and you can totally blame me for getting lost!! :)