Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I will cross train. I will cross train. I will. cross. train.

This morning was pretty typical.  I woke up, somehow mixed up my contact lenses and put the wrong ones in each eye.  Then I shook up the container of almond milk, which wasn't closed all the way so it went all over the place (I've done this several times in my life).  But then my Mom, who is visiting us after retiring from her job last week, put on my glasses by mistake.  She thought she had a stroke, and said "I knew this would happen as soon as I retired!!!"

I'm being good. No running. I took the advice of you triathletes out there, and went for a bike ride this morning.  The sun is out after days of rain and it took all I had in me to get on the bike instead of going for a run.  I rode for about 40 minutes, and I took it easy, just rolled along, do-di-do.....I felt like I was in a Country Time Lemonade commercial. 

I really am going to try and be good and let hammy heal, and suck it up and cross train.  I don't know why I have such a hard time with it, back in the days that I belonged to the gym, I would finish my cardio, walk over to the weights, and then keep walking.  I don't think I have it in me to sit there and do exercises, I want to just run around and get in a good sweat.  

At least the weather is starting to cooperate, fall has really kicked in, and I want to take advantage of our weekends while it's nice out.  I asked Mike what we were doing this weekend, and he pointed to the pile of wood in our driveway and said, "Stacking that!"  Well, I guess I can count that as cross training.




Last weekend was fun, I went on a wine tour of Seneca Lake, in the Finger Lakes, with my mother in law, her sisters, and my sisters in law.  It was a great day for it, my favorite vineyard of the six we visited was Four Chimneys, an organic vineyard that had a yummy Chardonnay.  The Finger Lakes are known for it's Riesling, which I'm not a huge fan of, I wish I had bought more than one bottle of the Chard.




Here I am with my sisters in law, note that for once Jeannine and I are not in running skirts.





Don't forget my CEP Compression sock giveaway, which ends Sunday....you can find it HERE!


36 comments:

Mrs. M said...

Hope the hammy eases up for your soon so you can get back to running, but glad you are doing some alternatives for the time being. :) Love the last picture!!

Runners Fuel said...

Sounds like you are doing great! Heal, heal, heal

Meredith said...

Good for you for going for that bike ride this morning instead of going for a run! When I am unable to run, it always makes me think of all the times I was pregnant and wanted a margarita. Just because I was unable, it made me want it all the more! Same thing happens with running! Rest that hammy, ride that bike and you'll be back running in no time!

Unknown said...

I know how you feel about the patience for training at the gym. I think the cardio becomes addictive.
Great job incorporating cycling! It's great exercise!

KovasP said...

Always good to cross-train, biking especially will help your running!

*~*~* Tracy said...

Beautiful vineyard! I hope your hamstring eases up on you, but enjoy biking in the meantime!

Jon said...

Just get it over with and become a triathlete. Cross training is no longer necessary because it will feel like one sport :)

Emz said...

I love cross training! It will without question help in your running life.

Anonymous said...

Hope you hamstring mends soon! Good luck with the cross training!

Julie @ HotlegsRunner said...

I cross-train every other day. Adds variety. Looks like it was a good day for a bike ride =)

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the healing process. My partner and I have been training since June for our upcoming marathon this weekend and he just got injured two weeks ago. It's so hard to follow doc's orders and stay away from running!

Fruit Fly said...

Good for you - you sort of rested! ;)
(I know I would HATE to be forced to rest. So I feel your pain!)
~RR

Carly said...

Yay for cycling. Obviously it's one of my favorite workouts. :-P

J said...

I am trying to be good too and rest and XT maybe later this week! Its hard not to be out running now especially since the temps are cooler but not winter cold yet!

Anonymous said...

lol I've done the contacts thing before. I'll put them in and be like why is everything all blurry?

I love wine tasting! So much so that my bachelorette party was a wine tour in the finger lakes :)

Lucas R. Tucker said...

Cycling is awesome crosstraining. Aftr reading the article the picture clicked and made me laugh.

Andrew Opala said...

cross training is cool - but chopping wood is also a very good exercise!

track coach and adorable wife said...

Hey, you WILL cross train :)!

heather said...

That stroke thing made me spit tea everywhere!

Good for you for riding the bike even with perfect running weather. Stay strong and you'll be running again in no time!

ajh said...

Keep biking and you will fall in love!

Anonymous said...

Give biking a try it will grow on you. You are still getting a good cardio workout, but working on other muscle groups so you can be super girl!

Jill said...

You WILL cross train, you will you will you will! I know it's easy to say, I've been there all summer and it was hard to get my head to accept that I couldn't run. Swimming is good, too, and that damn wt training is actually VERY good. Hoping that hammie comes back happy for eternity!!

Mark said...

Molly, lucky for me, both of my eyes are exactly alike!

Which is insane, "seeing" as how without my lenses in I have to speak and wait for the vibrations to bounce off of the walls back to me, you know... kind of like a bat.

Anyway, take it easy. I am still feeling a little out of sorts after ironman. All I have wanted to do is swim. Me. Swim. Huh, go figure.

—M

Iron Mike said...

What a great clutsy morning for the family. Almost sure signs that you should go back to bed.

Is biking really that boring? What was your description? Do-Di-Do. Love it.

Great pictures, and keep your hammy happy.

The Green Girl said...

::hugs:: Sending lots and lots of hammy healing vibes.

Sandra said...

Quite enjoyed this post, especially the do-de-do part...I could almost hear you biking and do-de-do-ing along!

Johann said...

Enjoy the biking! I’m sure you’ll be running soon again, take care of the hammy. Funny how few non-running photos we have.

Joanne said...

I hate that contact lens thing! I've done that as well but mine are CRT lenses so you wear them messed up all night. It's not until the next day that you find out you have to be virtually blind for the next 8 hours. Bummer.
Weird morning for you guys. Something must be in the air.

Good luck on the hammy healing. I know what you're going through.

Tara said...

Cross trained and get that hammie healed up girl! You and I will be back to running in no time and then we will sign up for more marathons. Hehe.

I've been biking a lot too. It's very relaxing to me. But I miss RUNNING!!!

Have a good weekend. Off to enter your giveaway.

Anne said...

Hope the hammy starts to heal real soon...I've also started biking and I have to say, I think I've found my cross training of choice :)

Julie said...

Hi Molly,
I want a bike! At least you have a bike:) Cheers to cross training!

I just read your comment...you always make me smile:) Thanks for cheering me up! Thanks for being such a great blogger friend!

Flory said...

I think you're being smart here - let the hammy heal.

I'm taking a break from running also. I'm on week 12 of P90x, and I was doubling it up with my running - too much strain on my knees. Can't wait to get back to running though.

Suzy said...

GL with cross-training. Injuries will do that to runners...make us cross-train. Let your hammy heal fully so you can get back to it.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and the GL.

Black Knight said...

I must follow a cross training program or I get injured. Enjoy your bike. Wine wine, I am teetotal and today at the race I got other 5 bottles of wine!!! Why don't they give Pepsi? However that 4 Chimneys look great.

Unknown said...

You are so smart to cross train!! Cute pix of your sisters, I love it!

RunToTheFinish said...

kudos to you for sticking to your guns and not running...i'm so bad about that. though I am doing more cross training than the past!