Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Mexican Veggie Soup with Brown Rice



I have been eating this soup for lunch the past few days, it's got a nice flavor, is full of veggies, and it's good for you (bonus).   I made it up as I went along, and I think it turned out pretty well.  So if you're looking for a new fall soup, here it is!


Ingredients:

2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into circles
2 stalks of celery, sliced thinly
1 large vidalia onion, chopped
4 large cloves of minced garlic
2 potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
1 15 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen baby lima beans
1 can of corn, drained (I love nibblets)
64 ounces of stock (veggie or chicken, just make sure it's low sodium without MSG)
one 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
2 cups of cooked brown rice
2 teaspoons of chili powder
one bay leaf
olive oil
salt and pepper

Take a heavy stock pot, and coat the bottom with olive oil, about 2 tablespoons. 
Once heated, add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, a teaspoon of salt, and cook until softened, about 10 minutes.
Add the stock, and tomatoes, cook about 5 minutes.
Add potatoes, corn, beans, lima beans, chili powder, bay leaf, and several grinds of black pepper.
Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for about an hour. 
Check to see if you need to add any salt or pepper, then add the cooked rice, and simmer for a couple more hours.

When serving, pair it up with corn bread, and it's especially tasty with some grated cheddar cheese on top.

Let me know your favorite soup, I'm always looking for more ideas!!

17 comments:

Julie @ HotlegsRunner said...

I am so grabbing this recipe! thanks for sharing =)

Julie said...

Thank you! This will be wonderful in the winter:)

Michelle said...

This looks great! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

The Green Girl said...

Thank you for sharing this recipe, it seems easy enough for me!

Tortuga_Runner said...

Fantastic! I am a total soup girl, this will definitely make it's way to the dinner table this winter.

Andrew Opala said...

"Sleeper Baker" and instead I get a delicious soup!

Can't you throw in a good baking recipe once in a while?

Ed said...

Sounds very Mexicany. I'm into it... it's funny, too, bc I was just telling people how I want to start cooking more at home. This should get me off to a good start. Thanks!

justme said...

i just made pioneer woman's roasted veggie ministrone - it was delish

Brittney said...

I make mexican style soup that is very similar and LOVE it :)

Heather said...

This sounds yummy and perfect for fall! I'm definitely going to try it! Thanks for sharing.

Amy said...

Sounds good! I'm gonna try it!

Liz Mays said...

I want that immediately!

Anonymous said...

This sounds right up my alley - thanks for the great idea!

Lisa said...

This sounds really different from the chili I usually make, and any chili I've had (never had rice or potatoes in chili) but also absolutely delicious! This is going on my list of recipes to try, thanks for sharing!

Jill said...

I wish I could cook - I cannot. I'll just lick the screen at your soup thought!!

Christina said...

This looks seriously good! I'm a huge fan of Mexican flavors and I love rice in soup! Now that it's getting warm I'll be looking to make soup a lot more often, too! Thanks for sharing this recipe with Friday Firsts!

Jess said...

Hey! I found you through Mom Bloggers Club. btw This recipe looks delicious! You have a new follower! visit me over at www.theredheadedprincess.com