Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Summer runs are the best, so why am I on the treadmill?



I have a seven mile run planned for today, and it's absolutely beautiful out. During the winter months, I get on the treadmill in the afternoons, while Eliza naps and Luke busies himself with whatever five year olds like to do. But as the weather gets warmer, I really long to be outside for my runs.

I've tried getting up early to fit the run in, but Mike and the kids are also early risers. There have been a few times where Mike is doing calls and Luke will get up, and I have to end my run. Running after dinner is hard too, Mike has a daily call at five, kids gotta eat, get baths, and into bed. These are the roles we have right now, I'm the "stay at home caretaker" Mike is the "bring home the bacon" role. It's much easier on the weekends, Mike is happy to do whatever he needs to so I can get my outside runs in.

The treadmill has been a bit boring lately, although having a televison to watch is a huge plus. This past Monday I did 8.3 miles, and threw a towel on the display panel so I wouldn't watch the numbers slowly tick by. There is a big sliding glass door in my line of vision, but that just lets me see outside, but not taste it.

Actually, I have nothing to complain about, when the weather is so sunny that we all need our shades.

3 comments:

Clueless_Mama said...

I am soo jealous! I have runner envy. My knees just won't let me. Getting old stinks!!!! Run a mile for me :)

Denise said...

I used to do all my runs on a treadmill. The only way I could get through it was to cover the screen and play with my speed. Got a lot of speed work done that way!

I Run for Fun said...

Running on the treadmill does have its advantages. I can do 2-3 miles on a treadmill, tops. Beyond that, I need to be outdoors!