Monday, April 13, 2009

It's Monday again

Oh work. Obviously we are defined by what we do for a living. And no one is ever really happy with their choice. right? or am I wrong? I started my career babysitting. The best part of that was after the kids went to bed, and I could sit in front of the tv with my book and snack. AND get paid! I loved getting my first worker's permit. I was first a volunteer at the Summer Rec program, and later a counselor. The big bucks started rolling in when I was a busgirl, then worked at the video store, and was a gateguard at the local beach. One summer I worked three jobs, it was well worth it. I liked staying busy, and I liked the cash. I really liked the cash. My parents were divorced, and my mother was constantly worrying and struggling over money. I knew that no matter what I did, I had to do something to get the big bucks. I toyed with trying to get into modeling, since Manhattan was just a train ride away. But no one was very encouraging. So as I worked my teen jobs, I started to think of what I could do with my life. And herein is where my problems lie. I honestly have several iterests, but not one true love. As the saying goes, if you do what you love the money will follow. Well, what do I really love? Cooking, reading, television, my kids. Writing? Sales? Waitressing? For myself, what rings truer, is work hard and the money will follow. I ended up moving to Rochester after working at a magazine in NYC for a year. I would look at the commuters on the train, some of them had ridden that train for 20 years. I didn't want to get into THAT grind yet, so I ran north. After five years, I came back, ready for the grind. I proceeded to land a great gig as a salesperson at one of the top 3 papers in the city. And proceeded to do well, REALLY well there. I saved the check stub from one bonus, that was equal to one year's salary at a past job. I felt like I just got lucky. But maybe it wasn't luck, it was that working hard thing. Maybe I should cut myself some slack, and not try to find one true thing. Just work hard.

No comments: