Friday, December 30, 2011

Auld Lang Syne

I don't know the exact number of miles I ran. Or biked. Or how many meters I swam.

But I do know, that I had probably the best year of racing.

Ever.

The first few months of the year, I ran for fun. I was on a first marathon post-race high, and I didn't race until March, in a really fun run, the Tipp Hill Shamrock Run 4 miler.  Where I managed a 1 minute PR.




I braved the cold morning temps of spring, and met my friends for training runs in hilly, downtown Syracuse, prepping for the Mountain Goat 10 miler.  I gave that goat a smack down with an 8 minute PR.






Ah, injury.  While walking Frank, I rolled my foot off a path, and twisted my foot. My podiatrist felt I needed custom inserts, and new running shoes.  I had to take over a month's rest, and was unable to run in one of my favorite races, the Boilermaker #15k. The lovely race director let me defer my registration to 2012, so I was happy.






One I was healed, it was go time for the Irongirl Triathlon.  My biggest fear was the swim, but I ended up really enjoying it, and a few times at the pool, people complimented me on my stroke.  I must have been doing something right, because in the swim, I placed 192 out of over a 1,000 finishers.





Then it was time for marathon training, and fundraising. I'm thankful and appreciative to all who donated, I raised over $2,800 for The Children's Tumor Foundation.





I learned the name for a muscle that I didn't know I had, the pes anerus, which I now call Pez.  I pulled that sucker pretty well, so much so that I had to alter my marathon training. My last training run was capped at 18 miles, so I wasn't sure how I was going to do in the race.

But I traveled down to the area I grew up, and one of my life goals came true.  





Oh yeah, and I pulled off an 18 minute PR.

While I was at the expo, I met up with two fabulous bloggers, Miss Zippy, and Lisa.





I finished 2011 with a Turkey Trot 10k, I felt fabulous the entire race, and finished just under an hour.






Throughout the year I ran with this speedster:




spent time with this guy:





and goofed around with these two knuckleheads:






So what's on tap for 2012?

My race schedule has a few things on it, but I want to try something new.

I'd love to do a Ragnar Relay, or a Tough Mudder.

I'm contemplating the Philadelphia Marathon.

One of my resolutions is to do speed work, I know I can get faster, I just have to suck it up and go for it.

Other than that, the year is wide open, waiting to be filled with new adventures.

Happy New Year!


I wish you much joy, health, and peace. 

21 comments:

Lisa said...

What a fantastic year! It was wonderful to see your recap. I love the sweet pictures of Frank, your husband, and super cute children!!! Nice to have all of them in your life . . . in addition to racing. You had an incredible year - I'm happy I was able to join you on your adventures this year. Can't wait to be with you for 2012 (does that seem stalker crazish? Didn't mean it that way).

Happy New Year!

Christi said...

Great recap on your year. I wish you the best in the coming year!

Raquelita said...

You've had such a great year! And I can't wait to follow you on your adventures in 2012.

That photo of your dog is priceless!

Zaneta @ Runner's Luck said...

What a great year!! I hope your 2012 is even better!! :) Happy new year!!

abbi said...

Loved your recap, a few downs but lots of ups. I'm sure 2012 will be exciting for you and I look forward to reading about it!

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a fantastic year!! Can't wait to see what you do in 2012!!

Unknown said...

Excellent Year Molly!

Frank is huge!

Caratunk Girl said...

Awesome recap! You sure had an awesome year!

Jason said...

Great year.

And sitting at home all day yesterday sick I can recognize Jill Z from RHofNY in the background of the foot injury.

Looking forward to see what 2012 brings for you.

Unknown said...

You had such an amazing year, Molly. I can't wait to see how 2012 plays out for you.

Happy New Year to you and your family.

J said...

Are you doing boilermaker this year? I think I am even tho I did really enjoy my no racing in July because it is so hot. Racing boilermaker just takes so much out of me! We will see!

Great year and I am sure 2012 will be even better!

Anonymous said...

You have had an amazing year and I'm so glad I was around to follow you through it!

ajh said...

Impressed and jealous of your swim.

kaydi327 said...

Happy New Year, Molly! You had quite the year and it was so fun to follow along and live vicariously through you during your marathon training. 2012 will be great!

-Katie @ Legally Fit

Heather said...

I soooo want to do a relay! Sounds like so much fun.

Always great reading your perspective on life and running in general!

Thanks for your support in my blogging adventure this year.

Maybe we will see each other soon! I hear Cortland has a half in the fall! We could rehydrate at Murphys afterwards.

Happy New Year to the whole family!

Black Knight said...

A fantastic year with good PB.
A beautiful recap with many nice pictures. Happy New Year to you and family.

Susan said...

Great year! And here's to a great 2012!

Unknown said...

What an amazing year Molly! Can't wait to see what 2012 has in store for you! xoxo

Laura said...

Fantastic year and happy 2012!

Anonymous said...

You had a great year! Are you in upstate ny? We just moved away from Ithaca... that's a beautiful area! Philly is a great run-- I've only done the half, but both the half and full have tremendous fan support which makes the time fly by. Happy 2012!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Here is to a great 2011 and an even better 2012