Thursday, February 17, 2011

per your request

I participated in Zoe's Love Yourself Valentine Challenge, she sent me a lovely valentine along with a tattoo, which I had to put on my favorite body part, and the reason why.  You'll have to check out her blog to read why I chose this part, but in the meantime, can you guess what it is???





I had some requests for the venison stew recipe I posted last week, if you want to skip my tutorial on how to use hair rollers, scroll on down for that.....


I had even more requests for hair photos after using rollers.  I bought some plastic velcro rollers in the drugstore a couple of weeks ago.  I was watching the movie Kissing Jessica Stein for about the fifth time, and there is a scene where she's running around her apartment with the rollers in her hair. I love Jennifer Westfeldt (Jessica)'s hair, so I figured I'd buy some and try 'em out.  They were $4.50 for four large rollers. 

This is how I do it (first photo courtesy of little Miss E.)

start with clean, dry hair. Most of the time I air dry my hair, but in the winter I tend to blow dry it.





Take small sections of hair, and wrap it around the roller.  Go do something for 15 minutes, like the dishes, fold laundry, or, more likely, read blogs.






Unroll, shake, spritz with hairspray, and you're good to go.




Doesn't it look fuller????



Now, onto the stew:

Ingredients

3 lbs venison, cubed
2 large vidalia onions
3 lbs peeled potatoes, cubed
2 lbs carrots, peeled & chopped
1/2 bag frozen peas
2 cans Guinness
1 bay leaf
1 tsp garlic powder
small handful of kosher salt
several grinds of ground pepper
veg oil & butter
stock pot or crock pot
sautee pan

1. toss the venison in flour, and shake off the excess
2. in a heavy sautee pan, coat it with oil, add 2 tablespoons butter, bring to medium heat
3. brown the venison, then transfer to pot
4. deglaze the pan with the Guinness, then pour everything into the pot
5. without cleaning the pan, brown the onions, add to pot
6. add carrots, potatoes, bay leaf, garlic powder and salt & pepper to pot
7. add some water, but don't completely cover the meat and veg
8. bring to a boil, simmer on low for several hours.
9. about a half hour before serving, add peas, then serve

love to pair this with crusty bread....enjoy : )

28 comments:

J said...

Cute! I should try rollers! I love venison stew!! Too bad we already used up all the roasts. Guess Ill have to cut up some of the steaks!

Lisa said...

I have always wanted to know how to use rollers! I don't think I could get them to work! Your hair looks great!!

That stew sounds delicious!

Unknown said...

That stew sounds so good. I am going to make that next week. You are beautiful!! I love your hair. It does look fuller.

misszippy said...

You have great hair, either way! And I'm guessing your quad???

Brittney said...

Oooooooohhhhh, so you dry your hair BEFORE you put it in the rollers?? Ok, maybe that's what I've done wrong. I think I've put them in when my hair is wet and tried to blow dry the hair when it's wet and in the rollers.

Anonymous said...

Hair looks GREAT! I've actually never had venison, but that stew sounds yummy.

Christi said...

I remember back in the day when I would use rollers all the time. I wanted to be "Julia Roberts!" Oh, the good ole days.

Thanks for the recipe, I must know go deer hunting so I can get some venison!

A Prelude To... said...

I've been wondering about those rollers. I should try them - I'm betting they would work good in my hair.

I'm having flashbacks of those little pink curlers from when I was a girl and my mom would put me to bed every night with my head covered in them. The next day I would look like Shirley Temple.

Suzy said...

Love your hair! And, you calf is definitely a runner's calf...good lookin'.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the roller tutorital! :)

And that stew looks yummie!

Jill@Run for the Hills said...

Nice calf and pretty hair! :)

Terri said...

Love the stew recipe - thank you!

H Love said...

love the curler shot...so cute! yes much fuller!!

Lucas R. Tucker said...

I am only leaving a comment because clearly every other guy reader was too scared.

Rad Runner said...

Oh my gosh that is that cutest idea ever I wish I would have participated! leg? :)

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I like that sassy look you gave with the fuller hair, that should be your signature finishline face poise.

Jill said...

LOVE the hair, I am totally going to try those rollers!!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Love the roller photos--very fun. The stew sounds really delicious. There is nothing as comforting as a big bowl of stew. ;-)

Fruit Fly said...

I bought some rollers and had so much fun with them. The hard part is that I have a ton of hair so it actually takes me hours to wash, dry, roll, set and undo. Then a TON of hairspray to make it last!

That's totally a calf muscle, right?? Love it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe!

Andrew Opala said...

Yes, crusty break sounds like the perfect match for this ... soaking up all the juices and having those little crumbs fall into the bowl!

Andrew Opala said...

You are awesome BTW!

Unknown said...

I love that first picture of you. Did one of the kids take it?

kristen said...

I'm buying some! And yum!

Tortuga_Runner said...

I love the tattoo idea. Thanks for the recipe.

Staci said...

Thanks for posting the pics and instructions. I love how it changes your hair! I'm gonna give it a try as soon as I can get me some curlers. Thanks

The Green Girl said...

The hair demo was adorable - love the instant body!

Anonymous said...

My hair is pin straight and fine. When I was little my mother ALWAYS made me sleep with curlers in. I hated it. I think I would like them now though! Question, do you wrap your hair around the roller with roller on top of the hair or under the hair?