Thursday, December 10, 2009

Two vices in one


I'm a sucker for a salty and sweet food combo. Pretzels dipped in whipped cream, salty caramels, chocolate covered potato chips, we even throw dark chocolate into chili (it really adds a richer flavor to the chili). If I'm going to eat junk, I alternate between potato chips, and dark chocolate. And back again.

There was a cooking show on years ago called Two Hot Tamales with Susan Feniger and Mary Sue Milliken, and everything they made had a spicy accent to it. The two chefs have a restaurant in Las Vegas called Border Grill, we went to LV for my 30th birthday and planned to check it out.....but never quite made it. Hey, it was Vegas, and what happens in Vegas......

Well, they made a shortbread cookie that I have been making at Christmastime ever since I came across the recipe. And it is made with (surprise) potato chips and chocolate. I have to make several batches in December because they disappear in two seconds. So without further ado, here are the Border Sugar Cookies....

2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon of salt
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup crushed potato chips
2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
sugar for dipping
4 ounces semi sweet chocolate for garnish
a heavy glass, like a pint glass

Preheat oven to 350.
Line a cookie sheet with Silpat or parchment paper
Cream together butter and sugar until fluffy
Beat in salt and vanilla
Add pecans and chips and mix well
With a wooden spoon, stir in flour until it disappears
Roll batter into balls the size of a walnut and place on sheet, allow room for spreading
Coat bottom of glass with butter, then dip in sugar, and flatten each ball into a 3 inch circle.
Bake 8-10 minutes, edges should be light brown.
Melt chocolate, and use a fork to drizzle chocolate over cooled cookies.
Refrigerate to set, or if you live in the freezing northeast like I do, stick them in the garage covered with paper to set.

24 comments:

Not Everyones Mama said...

I'm going to have to try this! I never would have thought potato chips in cookies! Awesome!!!

Brandi said...

It's like modern art that you can eat. I love it!

Mrs. M said...

How interesting and fun!

sissyruns said...

Molly - you know I love these cookies! I might even make some myself....yummy!

Felice Devine said...

Oh, yes. I need to try these.

Liz Mays said...

I must make these! I love salty/sweet. I really love making popcorn and eating that with chocolate!

Tara said...

That's brilliant! Potatoe chips in the dough? Of course, like I posted in my blog, these would probably never make it to the oven. Raw dough...yum.

I've never thought of putting dark chocolate in chili. We might have to try that. It sounds really good!

Nicole @ Chic and Cheap Nursery said...

You are too evil for sharing this! I'm not going to even read the recipe. God forbid it;s simple enough for me to try and then I'm screwed!

http://www.thewannabewahm.com

Unknown said...

Yum...Maybe I need to stop by your house tomorrow after my run!!

Julie said...

Oh my...potato chips in shortbread. Now I'm in trouble. Love it!

Brad said...

I totally agree, salty and sweet are a perfect combo. Have you ever dipped pretzels in ice cream?
Thanks for the cookie recipe!

Susan Fobes said...

Hey these look really good! My daughter and I are preparing for our holiday cookie bakeoff (we are all well now for the most part)and these sound like a nice addition. Sorry I haven't been around-computer trouble!

Helene said...

Seriously? Potato chips in cookies? Now, that's something I simply have to try!!! They look amazing!

Lacie @ Creative Attempts said...

oh my word it's 9:00AM where I am and now thanks to you all I can think about is running to the store and getting everything to make this lol!!

Lacie @ Creative Attempts said...

Op and happy SITS saturday sharefest!

Aimee @ Ain't Yo Mama's Blog said...

I'm a sucker for the salty/sweet combo, too, and those cookies sound perfect for me and my "problem"! =)

Amo said...

I love salty and sweet, too. Sounds delicious!!! I will have to try them!

Serendipity said...

Wow, it looks fabulous! Visiting from SITS, happy Sunday :)

Theta Mom said...

That looks so YUMMY!!!

Stephanie Faris said...

I love that mix too. I may try this recipe out.

HautePinkCloset said...

I just swore off all sweets( about 5 minutes ago because I finished the container if trader joe cookies in two days... alone)now I see this!
Oh the torture, boy do they look and sound good.

Confessions From A Work-At-Home Mom said...

Someone made me a similar cookie for the first time last year. When they told me it had potato crisps in it, I thought they were lying. But they are SOOOO good. I'm with you, I'm a sucker for anything that combines salty and sweet!

~Elizabeth
http://confessionsfromaworkingmom.blogspot.com

Deb in Hawaii said...

I saw these on your blog and had to make them, I posted them today with a link to your blog and where I found them. Here's the link to the post.

http://kahakaikitchen.blogspot.com/2009/12/things-i-am-loving-this-week_15.html

They were so delicious! I am getting them out of the house to a cookie exchange tomorrow so I don't eat the rest! Thanks for the introduction.

Aloha,

Deb
Kahakai Kitchen

Rick said...

Salty and sweet together? Yes! Sounds good. I'll be over for a snack after supper.